Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 08:41 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,895 times

Advertisements

So, I was checking the football playoff brackets (for 5A Division 1), because...well, this is Texas and my 'burb Takes Football Very Seriously. Noticed that DeSoto is undefeated and (per one website, at least) is ranked second in the state and third NATIONALLY.

And Coppell is ranked third and eighth, respectively.

And assuming they each win their first game, they'll MEET IN THE SECOND ROUND.

I know the brackets are set up geographically and all that, but...wow. That's one heckuva* early round game.

*-I know, it should be "heckuvaN early round game or something, but let me butcher my grammar a bit, m'kay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 09:09 AM

149 posts, read 306,861 times
One of the good things about Texas HS Football, is that once the playoffs come around, you're guaranteed to get great match ups every week; especially since the UIL split each classification into two divisions (which is a bit much for my taste, but hey, Texas is big enough for 12 state champions).

Old 11-11-2013, 09:10 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,015 times
Let's go Scots!

Old 11-11-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo81 View Post
One of the good things about Texas HS Football, is that once the playoffs come around, you're guaranteed to get great match ups every week; especially since the UIL split each classification into two divisions (which is a bit much for my taste, but hey, Texas is big enough for 12 state champions).
In 5A Division I (the biggest/baddest/meanest/etc. division), Region I is by far the toughest, although Region II has Allen who would have to be the favorite to win it all (they played both Carroll and Coppell and handed both of them their only losses). Regions III and IV are far lower in overall strength.

Watch, having just said that, the team that comes out of Regions III&IV will beat whoever comes out of I&II in the Final.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Watch, having just said that, the team that comes out of Regions III&IV will beat whoever comes out of I&II in the Final.
It happens fairly often where the team that emerges from the tougher regions sustains a bit too much battle damage, and a squad from a weaker area for football takes the state title. Seems like whenever a Region IV team wins, it's because they get to dish out the final hit to a team on its last legs.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:54 PM

6,819 posts, read 14,029,650 times
Region 1 is the most difficult region in D1 by far. You have to beat a minimum of 3 state ranked teams to make to the regional finals. Region 2 is the second most difficult region in D1. Only one team outside region 1 or 2 have won the state championship since 2003. D2 is a little more balanced with champions coming from all regions. I simply love this time of year.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Region 1 is the most difficult region in D1 by far. You have to beat a minimum of 3 state ranked teams to make to the regional finals. Region 2 is the second most difficult region in D1. Only one team outside region 1 or 2 have won the state championship since 2003. D2 is a little more balanced with champions coming from all regions. I simply love this time of year.
Had to look it up. I do stand corrected.

5A DI Champions since 2004:

Euless Trinity - '05, '07,'09 (Region I)
Southlake Carroll - '06, '11 (Region I)
Allen - '08, '12 (Region II)
Tyler Lee - '04 (Region II)
Pearland - '10 (Region III)

Guess I was thinking of my 1990s childhood when Converse Judson & Katy had a good string of results.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:50 PM

I don't have my spreadsheet available (yes, I set one up for this), but IIRC, this year Region I teams include DeSoto (as noted earlier, ranked #2 both statewide AND now nationwide by the "MaxPreps" website) Coppell (ranked #3), Carroll (#6), as well as Martin (#19), Trinity (#21), Mansfield Timberview (#22). That's 6 of the regions 16 teams in the state's top 25. Note that I'm not vouching for MaxPreps' reating system, but assume it has reasonable criteria and no inherent bias towards region I (they have some methodology they apply to all schools nationally for rankings, so I doubt it favors Class 5A Division 1 Region I of Texas).

Region 2 has Allen (top ranked team IN THE COUNTRY, apparently), but not much after that. Horn is #11 statewide, and I think everyone else is out of the top 25, but could be forgetting some team.

I think Judson is the top team in Region 4, and they're ranked 27th in the state. So they would only be the 7th highest ranked team in Region 1.

This is my first year really living in the midst of the football mania, so it'll be interesting to watch.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:06 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo81 View Post
Had to look it up. I do stand corrected.

5A DI Champions since 2004:

Euless Trinity - '05, '07,'09 (Region I)
Southlake Carroll - '06, '11 (Region I)
Allen - '08, '12 (Region II)
Tyler Lee - '04 (Region II)
Pearland - '10 (Region III)

Guess I was thinking of my 1990s childhood when Converse Judson & Katy had a good string of results.
Katy is still a powerhouse but in lower 5A due to size. They were state champs in 1997, 2000, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2012. They were runner up in 1998, 2000, 2005, 2009.

They are ranked 2nd behind Allen and undefeated.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:19 AM

6,819 posts, read 14,029,650 times
Katy is D2 and will be real threat to win DII this year like most. I really can't see anyone beating Allen although Desoto will put up a good fight. Many people are writing Southlake off but beating them two times in a row is nearly impossible. They took Desoto down to the wire last year and expect the same kind of game this year. It is not written in stone that Desoto will play Allen for spot in the championship game. It's also nice to see that the Cotton Bowl will be hosting some playoff games next week. I wondered what took them so long to do so. Everyone needs to watch a championship game at Jerryworld at least once. Me and my boy make a whole day of it and the crowds are electric. I simply love this time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas