Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 09:08 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,396 times

Advertisements

I thought stuffing was a yankee thing. Texans eat dressing is/was my perception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 11:27 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
I thought stuffing was a yankee thing. Texans eat dressing is/was my perception.
^^^^THIS^^^^^

I always thought of stuffing as being some weird concoction of nuts, berries, meat, and bread that was crammed into the bird for some reason. Never ever once had it growing up; tried it a few times as an adult and it's just OK. Real dressing is mostly cornbread with a few crumbled biscuits thrown in, celery, onions, sage, salt, pepper, boiled eggs (optional), sage, etc.. Then cooked in enough broth to keep it from drying out. The result is to be eaten with the turkey with some giblet gravy and cranberry sauce.

Now that my friends, is my version of a Texas Thanksgiving meal. Of course add lots of sides too and sweet potatoes are a must.

You're welcome!

Old 11-18-2013, 10:48 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
See recommendations on where to pre-order turkey listed previously in the 2013 Thanksgiving thread.

As Aceraceae and ETex2 stated, dressing is the Texan way of doing things as it is in most southern states; however, there are so many here that have migrated from the northern states that prefer stuffing, I'd say it's a good mixture of those that prefer either, and we somehow manage to enjoy both by day's end on Thanksgiving. Also, you'll find that either might be served at restaurants here as indicated in the menus provided in the link above! Whichever your preference is, enjoy!

Old 11-18-2013, 12:48 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,034,515 times
I want to buy a Turkey order a smoked one from Greenberg Turkeys in Tyler TX. They world famous for providing a quality bird. We buy a bird from them and a ham from Honey Baked Ham every year. Just add the sides and you will have a outstanding dinner. Do a google search for their website.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:40 PM

286 posts, read 450,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
^^^^THIS^^^^^

I always thought of stuffing as being some weird concoction of nuts, berries, meat, and bread that was crammed into the bird for some reason. Never ever once had it growing up; tried it a few times as an adult and it's just OK. Real dressing is mostly cornbread with a few crumbled biscuits thrown in, celery, onions, sage, salt, pepper, boiled eggs (optional), sage, etc.. Then cooked in enough broth to keep it from drying out. The result is to be eaten with the turkey with some giblet gravy and cranberry sauce.

Now that my friends, is my version of a Texas Thanksgiving meal. Of course add lots of sides too and sweet potatoes are a must.

You're welcome!
That is how I grew up eating it and I'm a born and raised Californian.. my mom is from Louisiana.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:11 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSaySheSay View Post
That is how I grew up eating it and I'm a born and raised Californian.. my mom is from Louisiana.
Yea for sure lots of folks in Louisiana know how to make some good dressing too. I'd never diss their cooking.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:42 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
I saw Al Biernet's is selling a t-day meal for 6-8 ppl. I would reserve that asap!!
http://www.dmsmanagement.com/img_fil...rder_Sheet.pdf

Old 11-22-2013, 04:21 PM

953 posts, read 1,830,946 times
Try fried turkey. You will be hooked. There are places that will deep fry it for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas