U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 08:20 PM

73 posts, read 173,101 times

Advertisements

Cristobalg, I'd also check out Richardson and Pearce high schools in the Richardson school district. Both are ranked in the top 100 in Texas in the US News rankings, and offer great academics and extracurriculars (Richardson ISD has offered excellent fine arts programs for decades, and Richardson HS offers magnet programs for law and science as well). Since you mention Dallas specifically, there is a big chunk of North Dallas (roughly bordered by Preston Road on the west, McCallum Blvd. on the north, Coit Road on the east and LBJ Freeway on the south) that feeds into both of these schools. After a dip in enrollment in the 90s and 00s due to parents staying put after their kids graduated, there are a ton of new families moving into these areas for the schools (us included).

More:
Pearce High School in RICHARDSON, TX | Best High Schools | US News
Pearce High School - Richardson, Texas - TX - School overview

Richardson High School in RICHARDSON, TX | Best High Schools | US News
Richardson High School - Richardson, Texas - TX - School overview
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 10:02 PM

171 posts, read 336,458 times
If you can afford private education, go for Hockaday or St Mark's or similar.
Our eldest attended one of the top British prep schools in London but we couldn't keep up with the cost of living in the UK so we relocated here and put her in the public system.
She currently attends a West Plano public school but will be going back to a private school pretty soon if we stay in Dallas.
And don't get me wrong, the school she goes to right now is very good for a public school but since we will be able to afford again private education, there is no question about it. I am fervent believer in private education.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:55 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,142,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
That report is 3+ years old (from 2010-2011 school year). The info on GreatSchools is as old as 2007 with nothing more current than 2011. Usually wouldn't be a big deal as info from 2010 is still directionally correct at a HP or Hillcrest or Hockaday; however Woodrow has changed A LOT since 2010. The IB Academy opened, enrollment is up about 15%, the graduation rate has climbed to 86% (from 74% in the outdated link you posted), and the school is becoming increasingly white (16% in your link, well over 20% today, and 29% in the entire k-12 feeder zone).

The public school movement is happening in Lakewood in a way that is unmatched anywhere else in DISD--> parents have started a 501(c)(3) to raise $15,000,000 in private funds for a 45,000sf addition to Lakewood Elementary school. Parents are rallying civic leaders and residents to lobby to break off into a separate school district serving East Dallas and Lakewood. These things won't happen overnight but they are certainly indicators that the affluent Lakewooders are financially and personally investing in their public schools and want to become the alternative public choice for those who can't afford HPISD or who want to live in a more liberal / laidback area than the Park Cities.

This is a BIG shift from 10-15 years ago when the majority of Lakewood proper kids were enrolled in privates. Now there are kids in almost every house on every block of Lakewood and 75-80% of them are in Lakewood/ Long/ Woodrow or DISD magnet schools.

I have no dog in this fight, fwiw. I'm a HP grad living in the Preston Hollow-ish area. No connections to Lakewood other than a bunch of friends who live there and are quite happy with the public schools there.

About Lakewood Elementary Exapansion Foundation LEEF

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/educa...e-rock-isd.ece

http://educationblog.dallasnews.com/...rock-isd.html/

http://educationblog.dallasnews.com/...on-rates.html/
All of that is very exciting and I am rooting on Woodrow. Despite my negative comments, I hope the original poster understands that my comments were based on my perceived understanding of the current situation of the school. The OP had two high school kids. Woodrow is improving, but probably not going to see a huge change in the next couple of years. However, if the OP had a 3 year old and 5 year old, my thoughts may/would be completely different.

Finally, I will be very interested in seeing how fundraising goes. In the private world, 15 million is pretty darn small. (Parish did 20 million last year, St. Marks 113 million this year, and Hockaday is hoping to raise 100 million this year). However, in the public world, and especially for DISD, 15 million is an extremely admirable goal and I wish them the best of luck. If it was Hillcrest (my local school) I would even send a check. In reality, the fundraising is generally done by a few strong families. However, since Woodrow is public, I could see AT&T or other large local companies writing a big check. I hope that they can grab alumni support, community support, and support from the local businesses. It is in all of our best interests to have great public schools!

Old 11-19-2013, 08:24 AM

743 posts, read 1,244,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I have no dog in this fight, fwiw. I'm a HP grad living in the Preston Hollow-ish area. No connections to Lakewood other than a bunch of friends who live there and are quite happy with the public schools there.
TC80 I thought you lived in Lakewood and were shopping in UP. Changes?

Old 11-19-2013, 08:46 AM

16,086 posts, read 39,375,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
All of that is very exciting and I am rooting on Woodrow. Despite my negative comments, I hope the original poster understands that my comments were based on my perceived understanding of the current situation of the school. The OP had two high school kids. Woodrow is improving, but probably not going to see a huge change in the next couple of years. However, if the OP had a 3 year old and 5 year old, my thoughts may/would be completely different.

Finally, I will be very interested in seeing how fundraising goes. In the private world, 15 million is pretty darn small. (Parish did 20 million last year, St. Marks 113 million this year, and Hockaday is hoping to raise 100 million this year). However, in the public world, and especially for DISD, 15 million is an extremely admirable goal and I wish them the best of luck. If it was Hillcrest (my local school) I would even send a check. In reality, the fundraising is generally done by a few strong families. However, since Woodrow is public, I could see AT&T or other large local companies writing a big check. I hope that they can grab alumni support, community support, and support from the local businesses. It is in all of our best interests to have great public schools!
Billionaire Hunter Hunt (son of Ray, grandson of H.L.) sends his triplets to Lakewood Elementary and I hear there is already a large gift...connection?

Old 11-19-2013, 08:59 AM

13,042 posts, read 26,164,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post

Your last sentence is the most important! Our city will be stronger if several DISD neighborhood high schools can morph into serious competition for HPISD over the next 25 years. That would be a GREAT thing for HPISD, too, since it is overpopulated with enrollment +60% since 1995 and all schools at/over capacity. Private funds in public schools will be the ONLY viable path forward, IMO, and the district administration needs to loosen the rope line a bit for these feeder zones and let them do what they need to do. The DISD neighborhood schools will always have a extra challenge with a significant low income population (compared to HP), but if the top 50%++ of the class can put up HP / JJ Pearce / Coppell type stats, then it really will be a strong inner loop choice.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:05 AM

13,042 posts, read 26,164,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
TC80 I thought you lived in Lakewood and were shopping in UP. Changes?
We lived in East Dallas but not Lakewood. We shopped in UP for over a year but ended up finding the perfect house & lot elsewhere so we took it! Unfortunately, where we are it will be private schools all the way when the time comes...

Old 11-19-2013, 09:12 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,142,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Billionaire Hunter Hunt (son of Ray, grandson of H.L.) sends his triplets to Lakewood Elementary and I hear there is already a large gift...connection?
The Hunts, various branches, gave 10 million to Parrish last year and 20 million to Hockaday. The family has been extremely generous to the private schools. If they do the same for Woodrow, it could make all of the difference.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:27 AM

16,086 posts, read 39,375,920 times
http://www.woodrowfoundation.org/ is the fund-raising arm/umbrella for all the schools in the Woodrow feeder system. You can find a list of scholarship and other funds here:https://www.woodrowfoundation.com/donate/ (scroll through designation restrictions).

Also LECPTA raises around $150,000 or more each year and distributes the funds to Lakewood, Long and Woodrow. Then there are the other PTAs, the Woodrow Community Council, the Woodrow Academy Advisory Board, the Woodrow Wilson High School Alumni Association...

Last edited by Lakewooder; 11-19-2013 at 10:48 AM..

Old 11-19-2013, 09:53 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,142,505 times
I love all this great info on local schools. We're still in a deciding process and I would love to send our kiddos to public as well....we already pay for it through taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas