Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 10:39 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
http://www.woodrowfoundation.org/ is the fund-raising arm/umbrella for all the schools in the Woodrow feeder system. You can find a list of scholarship and other funds here:https://www.woodrowfoundation.com/donate/ (scroll through designation restrictions).

Also LECPTA raises around $150,000 or more each year and distribute the funds to Lakewood, Long and Woodrow. Then there are the other PTAs, the Woodrow Community Council, the Woodrow Academy Advisory Board, the Woodrow Wilson High School Alumni Association...
I would love to see the total numbers in these organizations compared to Mad for Plaid (the HPISD school organization). I know that when I lived in UP, numerous families, whether you had kids in the schools or not, would write checks to support the local school and to limit the impact of Robin Hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 11:26 AM

8,132 posts, read 3,671,773 times
I don't pay much attention to school rankings because they are often too subjective but I am somewhat worried when I look at a list like this:

http://www.aapt.org/physicsteam/2013...Medal-list.pdf

And do not to see any of the area schools (not even the ones that charge college level tuition)...
Seems to be very much dominated by east/west coast.

Also, imo, competitive admission public high schools schools could be superior to any private because there is no income requirement, and no restriction on applicant pool.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:30 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Also, imo, competitive admission public high schools schools could be superior to any private because there is no income requirement, and no restriction on applicant pool.
Most if not all privates offer scholarships to demographics that cannot afford the education. They truly want the best of the best.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:32 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,015 times
Quote:
I don't pay much attention to school rankings because they are often too subjective but I am somewhat worried when I look at a list like this:

http://www.aapt.org/physicsteam/2013...Medal-list.pdf
Also saying you don't like school rankings because their subjective, and then linking a post to a awards program that is just based on some random association of physics?????? Seems a little pot meet kettle to me.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:05 PM

149 posts, read 306,861 times
Quote:
...do not to see any of the area schools (not even the ones that charge college level tuition)...
Seems to be very much dominated by east/west coast.
Both Argyle (in Denton County) & Paschal (from Fort Worth ISD) had two students each, plus there were a fair number of kids from the Houston & Austin Area and at least one from the Rio Grande Valley and another from College Station. If anything, this looks like a niche competition that most schools don't participate in. I'd look at how North Texas schools stack up in UIL academic competitions before lamenting their under-performance.

Last edited by matteo81; 11-19-2013 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: Didn't want folks in Ft Worth searching for Argyle in FWISD

Old 11-19-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Also saying you don't like school rankings because their subjective, and then linking a post to a awards program that is just based on some random association of physics?????? Seems a little pot meet kettle to me.
Maybe the link was not very clear. This was the list of semifinalists that competed for a spot on the US team (5 students) for the International Physics Olympiad. Each country does it differently, in the case of US AAPT and the American Institute of Physics (AIP) are the sponsors.

Believe me, it is very hard to qualify for this and the level is as high as it can be at high school level.
Granted US started participating relatively late (in 86 I think), but still the population is huge.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:31 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,351 times
Quote:

There are some great public high schools, but as a rule, the elite privates have more success. They get the best of the best plus they have the financial resources. This year 31 families gave St. Marks at least 1 million dollars. With that kind of money, you can hire the best teachers, have small class rooms, have the best resources, etc.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo81 View Post
Both Argyle (in Denton County) & Paschal (from Fort Worth ISD) had two students each, plus there were a fair number of kids from the Houston & Austin Area and at least one from the Rio Grande Valley and another from College Station. If anything, this looks like a niche competition that most schools don't participate in. I'd look at how North Texas schools stack up in UIL academic competitions before lamenting their under-performance.

Yes, I agree, the number from other metropolitan areas in Texas are better. And also I did miss the Argyle students.

I would not call a niche competition, a competition with almost 100 countries participating nowadays.

The point about school participation in US is taken, not sure how this is organized here, and maybe it is just more popular in some parts of the country. But I do know it is not like in my former country long long time ago, where each and every school participated.

But looking at this year, the final results of the US team were really good, so I'm sure the selection process was quite rigorous.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:03 PM

114 posts, read 221,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Billionaire Hunter Hunt (son of Ray, grandson of H.L.) sends his triplets to Lakewood Elementary and I hear there is already a large gift...connection?
Not anymore, they are now attending private school...but maybe they will donate anyway!

Old 11-19-2013, 05:35 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
I would love to see the total numbers in these organizations compared to Mad for Plaid (the HPISD school organization). I know that when I lived in UP, numerous families, whether you had kids in the schools or not, would write checks to support the local school and to limit the impact of Robin Hood.
From a quick google, looks like the last few annual campaigns have raised in the $2-3M range. That is strictly Mad For Plaid. Each school has various other fundraisers for their campus for teacher appreciation and specific projects like additional classroom technology or building a campus garden. I'd guess the total private funds going into the district each year is in the high $2M-high $3M range.

ETA- found link for budget on district's website from 2010-2011 year. 5.1% of $52M income was from "gifts", approx $2.6M. Add in another $100k per campus in misc fundraising and it's probably in the $3.2M range overall?

Private gifting fills in missing piece of school finance puzzle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas