Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 11:31 AM

440 posts, read 867,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by voncobra View Post
double the size -- really? did your previous home have a basement?

I only ask this because what I have been experiencing is most of the homes I see might have large square footage (a two story home) but no foundation...no basement....its much cheaper to build up then out/down - so are you really getting something comparable for cheaper....or are the builders getting more for less?

I just wonder if people realize they're not really getting the same "product" -so how can you compare and say you got "bigger" for "less"......?
We had a basement in our old house and i included it my calcs for square footage...we also now have a useable 3 car garage...we had a detached double garage in our other home that couldn't fit either of our cars and certainly couldn't really store anything but lawn equipment in there...we lost our basement but had a access put in our garage (this is great extra sq footage-the 3 garages- that is not included in calcs) so we could store in the roof if we needed too..but essentially we got rid of alot of stuff we really didn't need before we moved-we use one garage for storage and the other two for cars...and they still have plenty of space for extra storage..we don't miss our basement at all. It certainly is cheaper to build a house with no basement...when we added onto our old house we put a basement under the addition and it was easily $20k for that alone.

And we are absolutely getting more for less-every sq ft of our house is livable and usable -it is energy efficient and much cheaper on utilities than we experienced in our old house-having a basement has it's advantages but most are dark/moisture plagued unless they are remodeled and vented correctly. No matter how much we insulated and weatherized our old home we could never get the efficiency we get on this home. But each to there own -for us the numbers have worked out very well.

Last edited by sossie; 11-20-2013 at 11:44 AM..

Old 11-20-2013, 01:52 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voncobra View Post
Considering move to Texas......just looking to get an idea on what homeowners insurance cost is...as well as car insurance....
Here is the Texas HelpInsure.com site that will give you comparison examples of policy rates/provisions for both your home and auto insurance needs, along with the company ratings for each. The Find Coverage tab on this site is especially helpful with a lot of great info.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:32 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
If you are a single guy, many of our Texas women can be pretty expensive to maintain.

But that's probably true just about everywhere.
That was gratuitous, sexist, and added nothing.

I'm a Texas woman and I'm not "expensive" to "maintain".

Old 11-20-2013, 05:54 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
That was gratuitous, sexist, and added nothing.

I'm a Texas woman and I'm not "expensive" to "maintain".
Certainly not all Texas women, just some.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Certainly not all Texas women, just some.
I still don't see how accusing some women of being "high maintenance" or "expensive" is relevant to a discussion of "hidden" fees of living in Texas. It's borderline offensive.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:19 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I still don't see how accusing some women of being "high maintenance" or "expensive" is relevant to a discussion of "hidden" fees of living in Texas. It's borderline offensive.
I think our dear Rakin is funny, and a recent survivor of a split; he deserves a pass.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I think our dear Rakin is funny, and a recent survivor of a split; he deserves a pass.
I disagree. The comment was irrelevant and sexist, and we have a whole other forum for complaining about and stereotyping members of the opposite sex.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:07 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times
Meh. I'm a Texas woman and it doesn't offend me. It's just a joke. Make a joke about some Texas men driving pickup trucks with truck balls and we're even.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:33 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
This thread is WAY off topic! CLOSED
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas