Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:39 AM

297 posts, read 476,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I keep hearing ho the FAA has a building height limit, if thats true, how is Perot able to state "No height limitations?"
Yeah, about the Height Limitations, I'm gonna look into that.

I can't help but think that those "limitations" were either made when the city was young
(long before any of the GLASS buildings)
and many airplanes were bi-planes or something.

Or... It was an assumption or fabricated statement made by a Dallasite during a Dallas vs Houston
debate, as a reason for why Dallas is not as tall ; (I recall someone saying that the bank of America was stopped short, and its twin were not built, due to the restrictions)
Not sure it it's true, but there IS some proof.

One thing is for sure... If there IS a limitation, it is out-dated.
And I don't see how ANY planes coming out of Love Field would crash into Downtown,
especially since the runway doesn't point in Downtown's direction. ?
Attached Thumbnails
Ross Perot hints at building a supertall downtown...-boaplans1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 09:46 AM

297 posts, read 476,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
The height limitations are a site by site basis. I didn't think this site had one.
I didn't understand your comment at 1st, but I get it now; and it makes sense.

Having to do with zoning; One could assume that some thought goes into the aesthetics of
Downtown; making sure that certain buildings/landmarks are not blocked-off,
so that the skyline remains beautiful and impressive.

And if that's TRUE... then that would be a TERRIBLE spot for a Supertall.
Being that it would block Fountain Place. (!)

Old 02-12-2014, 10:28 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,570,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkSide View Post
I didn't understand your comment at 1st, but I get it now; and it makes sense.

Having to do with zoning; One could assume that some thought goes into the aesthetics of
Downtown; making sure that certain buildings/landmarks are not blocked-off,
so that the skyline remains beautiful and impressive.

And if that's TRUE... then that would be a TERRIBLE spot for a Supertall.
Being that it would block Fountain Place. (!)
I'm not sure about the city zoning locations. My understanding is the FAA has height limitations on certains parts and/or specific locations downtown. No expert though.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:32 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,297,678 times
I am most interested in the potential anchor tenant. Would it be a local company moving or a Fortune 500 company relocating?

Old 02-12-2014, 10:54 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
I am most interested in the potential anchor tenant. Would it be a local company moving or a Fortune 500 company relocating?
Guess it wouldn't be these folks...

California logistics tech firm Omnitracs eyeing Dallas - Dallas Business Journal

But 1) it's great to see interest from such a large new potential downtown tenant and 2) I'd love to know if there is interest from enough potential tenants to warrant building Perot's proposed tower!

Old 02-12-2014, 03:30 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,783,252 times
Has Perot said anything lately about his plans?

Old 02-12-2014, 03:49 PM

6,690 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
Has Perot said anything lately about his plans?
Not that I know of.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:02 PM

990 posts, read 2,302,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkSide View Post
Yeah, about the Height Limitations, I'm gonna look into that.

I can't help but think that those "limitations" were either made when the city was young
(long before any of the GLASS buildings)
and many airplanes were bi-planes or something.

Or... It was an assumption or fabricated statement made by a Dallasite during a Dallas vs Houston
debate, as a reason for why Dallas is not as tall ; (I recall someone saying that the bank of America was stopped short, and its twin were not built, due to the restrictions)
Not sure it it's true, but there IS some proof.

One thing is for sure... If there IS a limitation, it is out-dated.
And I don't see how ANY planes coming out of Love Field would crash into Downtown,
especially since the runway doesn't point in Downtown's direction. ?

The FAA height limits are per site, but follow a pattern. Its pretty easy to make out based on where the tallest buildings are downtown and Uptown. Harry Hines certainly seems to be less height restricted than areas to the east. Harwood's Plans for buildings like the Lexi and Blue Ciel are much taller than anything else uptown. The former Mandarin Oriental plans for Victory Park were also much taller than what exists, while immediately to the east you have the Ritz-Carlton which went with two shorter towers instead of a taller building even with the price of land being incredibly high on that site. All of the older supertall proposals for DT Dallas have been on this side of downtown. Also, Museum Tower and the second and third towers on the Craig Hall site are shorter than Chase and Trammell Crowe and there's no massing agreement in place. The Perot site has long been known to be height unrestricted. Its hard to find official documentation, but a quick search of city planning documents mentions the restrictions many times following federal guidelines for building height. I've seen the diagram before. Definitely is a slope formula based on the runways. Not just a blanket over an entire area.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:35 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
I do think there are a 2-3 sites left without a FAA height restriction. Most are around the West End Historic District and the development style in that area is low to mid rise bright buildings.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:53 PM

990 posts, read 2,302,558 times
West Dallas is an interesting part of town in this regard. I know many think nothing is going to happen there(bridge to nowhere), but there are already developments going up there and Trinity Groves has become one of the great spots in Dallas. The zoning there is very dense and it doesn't have any height restrictions, so you may see some of the tallest buildings in the city built there if things really start to go well. The former trailer park development and Sylvan 30 will be good indicators of how much demand there might be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas