Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 09:37 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,168,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
I didn't realize Carroll MS in Southlake was only 77% white. Not that it matters, just proves I had a misconception and assumed it was around 90% like Highland Park. Nice to learn accurate demographics.
Southlake was one of the biggest surprises to me, too! While I follow many of our area schools and real estate markets with interest, I only drive through Southlake about 1-2x per year and certainly don't claim to have spent much time there.

I'm not too embarassed to admit that my perception of Southlake is more based on D Magazine articles (white kids dominating at football) than reality....which is that the city has really diversified, racially, in the last 20 years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 10:22 PM

286 posts, read 449,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
Why don't you expand on your post? It sounds border line racist. I am sure that is not your point.

I tried to give you reputation on this post and the one above.. but city data won't let me give you any more reputation.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:33 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,629,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Southlake was one of the biggest surprises to me, too! While I follow many of our area schools and real estate markets with interest, I only drive through Southlake about 1-2x per year and certainly don't claim to have spent much time there.

I'm not too embarassed to admit that my perception of Southlake is more based on D Magazine articles (white kids dominating at football) than reality....which is that the city has really diversified, racially, in the last 20 years!
I've been pleasantly surprised to see the mix of kids at my daughter's elementary, FWIW. Yes, some kids and their parents look like they just stepped out of one of those articles, but there's a whole bunch who don't at all.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:33 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,804,850 times
I wonder how much the Census Bureau's expanding of options for people to tick off their racial classification has affected these numbers. How many more people put white in older lists for whatever reason... lack of options to choose on such forms 20 years ago? Freedom to be more honest 20 years later?

Old 12-05-2013, 10:37 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,629,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I wonder how much the Census Bureau's expanding of options for people to tick off their racial classification has affected these numbers. How many more people put white in older lists for whatever reason... lack of options to choose on such forms 20 years ago? Freedom to be more honest 20 years later?
I'm almost certain that there are far, FAR more interracial marriages (however one chooses to define that) than there were 20 years ago. And I think that's cool because people learn a lot more when they are around other people who bring different sets of experiences to the table (and I'm EXTREMELY well aware that there are many things other than "race" that go towards that, but it is one marker among others)

Old 12-05-2013, 11:04 PM

56 posts, read 133,941 times
Quote:
I think if you would have read the rest of the post you might have caught the point of the post rather than cherry picking out one sentence.
I read all of every post I respond to.

Quote:
Why don't you expand on your post? It sounds border line racist. I am sure that is not your point.
I actually wrote a longer and thoughtful reply but, upon reflection, decided not to post it.

Suffice it to say that I am a person who is open and welcoming to people who are open to and respectful of me. It's deeply troubling to me that much of the rhetoric generated in our country's current cultural climate demands the former while disregarding the need for the latter.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:51 AM

390 posts, read 822,680 times
My question is this: how did these demographic changes occur? If African American and Hispanic populations have doubled and tripled, then how? I know these populations have higher birth rates than whites, but it can't be that much higher. And it seems like most of the people moving to the metroplex over the past 20 years are white or Asian.
Did the whites in certain areas just leave to go north? But if that were the case, why is Plano, McKinney, Frisco, etc also becoming less white? I just don't understand how this change happened.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:12 AM

743 posts, read 1,316,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Why is Lakewood so much whiter than 20 years ago? That's unusual for the Metroplex, and it's ultra-unusual for DISD. Stonewall and Woodrow are about the same.

Did the attendance zone change, are more children choosing public, or have the demographics of Lakewood simply gotten that much whiter?
The other answers are incorrect. Lakewood the neighborhood has seen similar demographic changes as UP, meaning one of the whitest neighborhoods in Dallas, with a slight increase in minority rates (because more minorities can afford to live there).

Lakewood the school has increased its white population and decreased its poverty population because the school is no longer subject to busing. Stonewall (and the not mentioned Hexter) have experienced the same rebounding of demographics with the end of busing.

The Woodrow data is 2 years old, that campus today is actually whiter than it was in '93.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:22 AM

743 posts, read 1,316,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazergore1198 View Post
My question is this: how did these demographic changes occur? If African American and Hispanic populations have doubled and tripled, then how? I know these populations have higher birth rates than whites, but it can't be that much higher. And it seems like most of the people moving to the metroplex over the past 20 years are white or Asian.
Did the whites in certain areas just leave to go north? But if that were the case, why is Plano, McKinney, Frisco, etc also becoming less white? I just don't understand how this change happened.
Well there are a lot of factors. Whites have a lower birth rate for one and yes the rates are that much lower. Asians and Hispanics have moved to the metroplex at a rate faster than whites or blacks. And homeownership opportunities are more available for black families than they were even in the '90s.

Black families are choosing to live in an array of neighborhoods instead of staying in the previous red-lined areas. Some of those schools that are historically black are not any more (Kimball is now majority Hispanic) or are half empty (Madison, Lincoln, Roosevelt).

Middle-class Hispanic families are buying homes in affordable areas like Irving, Mesquite, and Garland, while new immigrant families are renting the previous homes of those new homeowners in places like Sunset, North Dallas, and Spruce.

'Inner-ring' places have old homeowners-- places like RL Turner and Berkner-- who are white but don't have kids in the schools anymore. New infill housing in those areas has attracted minorities who do have kids.

New construction areas like Frisco or McKinney are reflective of the people that have moved to the metroplex in the last 10 years-- mostly white, but more likely to be minority than before.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:53 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,288,714 times
[quote=

'Inner-ring' places have old homeowners-- places like RL Turner and Berkner-- who are white but don't have kids in the schools anymore. New infill housing in those areas has attracted minorities who do have kids.
.[/quote]

I think that this probably has a lot to do with the numbers. I would guess that if you would look at Preston Hollow, LHHS, Berkner, Pearce, etc. and the people that live on the streets you would see a large number of retired couples (or empty nesters) that have lived in their same houses for 20 plus years. I would think that you would find very few Hispanic or Black people in those neighborhoods that have lived there for 20 plus years. However the younger families moving in are much more diversified and skewing the numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas