Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 10:19 AM

743 posts, read 1,316,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Carter was a 5A school up to 2008, though I think they were playing up for the last few years of that. I think they've really been hit by the combination of black flight to the suburbs and the rise of charter schools. I don't think Lincoln has seen as much suburban black flight simply because it has always had far fewer middle-class blacks than Carter, Kimball, and SOC did. I think the opening of Molina and Townview also caused Carter to drop from one of the larger schools in Dallas to one of the smallest. NCLB has probably hit both schools as well, as kids receive district-provided transportation to transfer to a better school if it's unacceptable.

Defending on how you define "largely black," Carter may no longer qualify. Not only are they down to 988 kids, only 745 are black (when it used to have over 2,000 black students). There are also 232 Hispanic students (far higher in both absolute terms and as a percentage than in the past), 3 white students, 4 American Indian, 3 Asian, and 1 Pacific Islander.

That is not entirely accurate. For starters, there was never any busing at the K-3 level, except for M-to-M transfers. There was for grades 4-6 from 1976-1996, for grades 7-8 from 1971-1996, and for grades 9-12 from 1971 to 1976 only.

Stonewall was never subject to busing at any point as it was considered naturally integrated. Lakewood hosted a 4-6 Intermediate School which saw kids bussed in from other attendance zones from 1976 to 1996, and Hexter hosted one from 1984 to 1996. However, starting in 1984, when DISD began to open neighborhood learning centers in lieu of busing minority kids, this number began to drop significantly, and by 1996, when busing was stopped altogether, only kids from JFK and JW Ray were getting bused, and they were getting split between Lakewood, Hexter, Reinhardt, and Sanger. At the K-3 level, both Hexter and Lakewood were 80%+ white. I'm not sure if the number they're citing is K-6, or just the 4-6 school for Lakewood.

So while the elimination of busing may have reduced the minority population somewhat, I don't think it's the sole answer for the change.
You have a lot of good information, but I disagree with much of your analysis. Carter, for example, started "playing up" in the mid-90s. And if they ever had 2,200 black students it was before 1988. The opening of Molina affected Kimball and Sunset, mainly (though there was some spillover affect on the Carter attendance zone, mostly to make in more black at the time). Townview draws equally from all parts of the city (though not for each program) and each of its schools was in place well before the campus opened. It has had little to no affect on Carter relative to any other DISD campus, and this is a sample of relative changes. Carter is in a neighborhood with older homeowners without as many children. Black families at the household formation stage are moving to the southern suburbs. It's the same thing Berkner is experiencing, it's just that the old homeowners are black. (btw at 75% Carter is definitely "largely black". Only Madison and Lincoln are 'blacker' by percentage)

If you read the link in the OP you will see there was actually a huge drop in the number of white students in northern Dallas schools. Walnut Hill and Preston Hollow have collapsed as neighborhood schools.

As for busing, maybe that is too much of a loaded word, but Hexter and Lakewood received students form outside their contiguous attendance zones through 2005-2006:http://www.dallasisd.org/cms/lib/TX0...kewood2005.pdf

http://www.dallasisd.org/cms/lib/TX0...hexter2005.pdf

In 2005 Hexter was 22% white and 74% F/R lunch; in 2013 it's 38% white and 62% F/R lunch (about what it's been since 2008)

In 2005 Lakewood was 46% white and 49% F/R lunch; in 2013 Lakewood is 76% white and 15% F/R lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 03:07 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,578,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
You have a lot of good information, but I disagree with much of your analysis. Carter, for example, started "playing up" in the mid-90s. And if they ever had 2,200 black students it was before 1988. The opening of Molina affected Kimball and Sunset, mainly (though there was some spillover affect on the Carter attendance zone, mostly to make in more black at the time). Townview draws equally from all parts of the city (though not for each program) and each of its schools was in place well before the campus opened. It has had little to no affect on Carter relative to any other DISD campus, and this is a sample of relative changes. Carter is in a neighborhood with older homeowners without as many children. Black families at the household formation stage are moving to the southern suburbs. It's the same thing Berkner is experiencing, it's just that the old homeowners are black. (btw at 75% Carter is definitely "largely black". Only Madison and Lincoln are 'blacker' by percentage)

If you read the link in the OP you will see there was actually a huge drop in the number of white students in northern Dallas schools. Walnut Hill and Preston Hollow have collapsed as neighborhood schools.

As for busing, maybe that is too much of a loaded word, but Hexter and Lakewood received students form outside their contiguous attendance zones through 2005-2006:http://www.dallasisd.org/cms/lib/TX0...kewood2005.pdf

http://www.dallasisd.org/cms/lib/TX0...hexter2005.pdf

In 2005 Hexter was 22% white and 74% F/R lunch; in 2013 it's 38% white and 62% F/R lunch (about what it's been since 2008)

In 2005 Lakewood was 46% white and 49% F/R lunch; in 2013 Lakewood is 76% white and 15% F/R lunch.
I wasn't aware that Lakewood and Hexter had non-contiguous (Lakewood) and gerrymandered (Hexter) attendance zones in the 2000s. Were those Vickery Meadows area apartment complexes? I can't really tell.

That has certainly made them whiter today than ten years ago, but it's not connected to the 1993 numbers, which reflected desegregation plans filed under the Tasby case. I'm pretty sure that the Vickery Meadows area wasn't being sent to Hexter or Lakewood in 1993, as it had nowhere near as many people as it does today and they were sent to Hillcrest area schools, but I could be mistaken. I hadn't realized that the Old East Dallas learning centers weren't established until 1996 (well, Ray is technically old North Dallas, but it has essentially merged into the area since the construction of Central), and if I had I probably wouldn't have asked the question in the first place because it would have seemed that was the answer for Lakewood at least, and why Stonewall and Woodrow have changed far less, as they didn't have busing at either school.

As for Carter, it no longer is a "predominantly black" school under desegregation case law, which set the standard for being predominantly black or predominantly white at 75%, though black students are still by far the largest group and it certainly can still be described as largely black. It is interesting to see that the Latino population has surged in the area so quickly, as it was almost all black just 5-10 years ago.

I was referring to spillover with Kimball for Molina (I believe at least one elementary school which was formerly assigned to Carter got moved to Kimball as a result of the western part of Kimball moving to Molina). I know Townview has impacted the entire city, but it definitely has a larger enrollment from the southern sector than from northern Dallas simply because it's closer to them, and Townview wasn't open at all in 1993. At that point, TAG was at Pinkston, SEM at Nolan Estes, and Health at the old Stephen F. Austin school (which is now part of the Baylor Hospital campus), Business was at Crozier Tech, Law Magnet was at the location where the Maya Angelou and Manns alternative schools are located now, and I'm not sure where ESSM (Sorrells) was. I'm sure Carter sent students to the magnets before, but after 1995 Townview made most of them far more accessible to the area.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:05 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,050,017 times
Part of that area of Vickery Meadows (going to Lakewood in 1993) is a bit deceptive from the map in that the Land's End and apartments along Impala had already been torn down for what is now Home Depot. Originally it was a discount store, can't remember the name...I believe the BA feeder system also had a chunk of Vickery Meadows sometime during those years...

Old 12-10-2013, 08:51 AM

743 posts, read 1,316,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Part of that area of Vickery Meadows (going to Lakewood in 1993) is a bit deceptive from the map in that the Land's End and apartments along Impala had already been torn down for what is now Home Depot. Originally it was a discount store, can't remember the name...I believe the BA feeder system also had a chunk of Vickery Meadows sometime during those years...
The Lands End apartments are still there (the ones across Abrams from McDonald's). Just that one complex was filling almost a third of the Lakewood seats. When the Vickery schools were built Lakewood's enrollment dropped from 752 to 519 in one year. Today they've rebounded past that to 851 students with a smaller attendance zone.

Hexter was at 719 students. After the rezoning they are down to 598-- but the campus also rid itself of quite a few portables. Those extra students were coming from just one street in Vickery Meadows!

You might also notice in the map above that the apartments south of East Grand were zoned Lakewood. Those are now Mt Auburn/Mata.

BTW, loneranger, Carter is over 75% black at this very moment (75.4%): https://mydata.dallasisd.org/SL/SD/E...ent.jsp?SLN=23

Old 12-10-2013, 05:56 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,050,017 times
OK, but the apartments which were on Land's End street were torn down - now it's Home Depot. Now that I think about it I believe they were called "The Place".

Old 12-14-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
The Lands End apartments are still there (the ones across Abrams from McDonald's). Just that one complex was filling almost a third of the Lakewood seats. When the Vickery schools were built Lakewood's enrollment dropped from 752 to 519 in one year. Today they've rebounded past that to 851 students with a smaller attendance zone.

Hexter was at 719 students. After the rezoning they are down to 598-- but the campus also rid itself of quite a few portables. Those extra students were coming from just one street in Vickery Meadows!

You might also notice in the map above that the apartments south of East Grand were zoned Lakewood. Those are now Mt Auburn/Mata.

BTW, loneranger, Carter is over 75% black at this very moment (75.4%): https://mydata.dallasisd.org/SL/SD/E...ent.jsp?SLN=23
I read that as 74.5%, so my mistake, but it is still massively more Hispanic and less black than it was even 5 years ago, and certainly far more than 1993.

It's hard to compare the numbers for DISD from before 1993 and now for specific schools, because DISD performed district-wide rezoning in 1996 which affected at least 40 schools. They've also opened around two dozen new schools, and changed school configurations from K-3 and 4-6 (some of which shared physical plants but had different attendance zones and administrations) to K-6 and then to K-5.

I'm not sure in particular how similar the Walnut Hill and Preston Hollow zones are to now. Both received bused students from not only West Dallas, but also other parts of North Dallas. In 1982, DISD closed Kramer, Dealey, Nathan Adams, Withers, and DeGolyer , and in 1984 converted Longfellow to the career academy middle school. Withers kids went to Walnut Hill for K-3, and Kramer went to Preston Hollow. Even before that, Walnut Hill had a large attendance zone which required some neighborhood bus routes (eg not desegregation busing, but kids more than two niles away or across a thoroughfare) of more than an hour, and kids in the Sparkman area were served by Caillet and not DeGolyer as is the case today. I'm not sure when the schools reopened-I'd guess early 90s, as I remember them all being open by 1996, but they may not have been open by 1993. I believe 1995 was when Hotchkiss became a neighborhood school and Dealey reopened as the montessori school.

Preston Hollow Elementary's demographics haven't changed all that much. Walnut Hill's definitely have, and I've always thought that it gets dragged down by being assigned to Cary and TJ (something unlikely to ever change as they're down the street). I know at least 5 years ago, almost 2/3 of the kids were transfers from other attendance zone, many using the dual language program for a curriculum transfer, and not a single kid in by brother's 5th grade class went to Cary. The vast majority went to ED Walker, though that may have been because Brian Lusk, Walnut Hill's principal, had just become the principal at Walker, and not the sign of a general trend. The high incidence of transfers led DISD to try to relocate Rangel to the campus, but after major PTA opposition, they eventually chose Chappie James near Fair Park instead.

The district as a whole has definitely undergone substantial change since 93 (though far less so than from 71-93), but it's hard to isolate impacts on individual schools just because attendance zones and feeder patterns have changed so much.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:08 PM

Answering at least one of my own questions, Withers reopened in 1990, according to this DMN article Commit! | Community activism propels Dallas elementary school to next level - Commit!

Old 12-15-2013, 07:07 AM

38 posts, read 82,642 times
The Stonewall Jackson figures look stable comparing 2013 vs 1993, but I believe in the early 2000's the school had years of white enrollment that were lower as percentage, maybe in the high 30s or low 40s. White enrollment for 2013 is at 58% with free/reduced lunch at 19%, the highest and lowest respectively in my memory since maybe 2000.

Also, the Stonewall attendance zone has seen significant demolition of older apartments this year and last. The Leeward Island complex next to Glencoe Park was recently torn down. One of the larger sets of apartment complexes between Amesbury and Skillman was also recently torn down. The entire area at the very top of the attendance zone (under Lovers and down to University) has also seen older apartments being replaced by new ones and also a huge senior living complex.

I'm guessing that Stonewall's naturally integrated demographics will move closer to Lakewood Elem. demographics over the next few years. Many of the remaining older apartment complexes in the Stonewall zone are being actively marketed for sale (the two Turtle Dove complexes as an example) as teardowns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas