Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 11:19 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,681,949 times

Advertisements

I just don't get why Dallas just doesn't store salt for this once a year event.... you don't need plow trucks for snow or ice this thin, just salt. The reason for the ice is simply because it doesn't get cold enough here.... add salt to that mix and you lower the freezing point that it doesn't even form ice and remains water.

Why doesn't Dallas just salt?

And what's up with this sand? It just clogs the drains and helps ZERO.

So frustrated that a city as prosperous as Dallas can't prevent a shutdown like this.... the losses in revenue from stores, airports and the injuries from accidents and falls are SEVERAL folds higher than the cost of keeping salt for a time like this.

If Chicago can salt and Chicago is poor as heck - why can't Dallas?

And don't give me that "it only happens once a few years" nonsense... this has apparently been happing nearly yearly as of late. This is nearly inexcusable. We know we get cold here, we know it snows once in a while.

Yes, LA this is expected... but not Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 11:26 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanyMalone View Post
My power went out again at 8 last night. The original estimate was back on today at 2 PM, but it was back on at 9:30 last night. Not sure what accounts for my different experience in 75080. Based on my personal experience, given the circumstances, I am not unhappy at all.
You should be thrilled. We've been down for over 36 hours on my street with no estimate of when the power will be restored. No Oncor trucks in the area either from what I've heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Unless you have 4wd and a 4-lo setting, I wouldn't go out. Saw lots of stuck cars yesterday and today. The only vehicles I'm seeing having a decent time of it are Jeeps and 4wd trucks.
Yeah...I went out yesterday in a Prius, it was fine.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:29 AM

Complain on; I don't care about the roads at all, I just want my friggin' electricity back. People on my street have been without for over 36 hours with no estimate of restoration.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:32 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
A guy went over the bridge on 35E into Lewisville Lake this morning - that's my normal daily path.

Creepy.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:33 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,471,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Complain on; I don't care about the roads at all, I just want my friggin' electricity back. People on my street have been without for over 36 hours with no estimate of restoration.
Complain on; but you have twice a week trash pickup...

Old 12-07-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
A guy went over the bridge on 35E into Lewisville Lake this morning - that's my normal daily path.

Creepy.
Was it kenshi? Was the guy riding a moped and look creepy?

Old 12-07-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Complain on; but you have twice a week trash pickup...
I'd trade that for RELIABLE electric service. Our power goes out all the time. ALL. THE. TIME. It's something I've put up with for four years because I like my neighborhood but after this...I am seriously considering moving out of this part of Richardson. I can't stand it anymore.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:42 AM

504 posts, read 800,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
I just don't get why Dallas just doesn't store salt for this once a year event.... you don't need plow trucks for snow or ice this thin, just salt. The reason for the ice is simply because it doesn't get cold enough here.... add salt to that mix and you lower the freezing point that it doesn't even form ice and remains water.

So frustrated that a city as prosperous as Dallas can't prevent a shutdown like this.... the losses in revenue from stores, airports and the injuries from accidents and falls are SEVERAL folds higher than the cost of keeping salt for a time like this.

And don't give me that "it only happens once a few years" nonsense... this has apparently been happing nearly yearly as of late. This is nearly inexcusable. We know we get cold here, we know it snows once in a while.

Salt is very harmful to the environment and human health plus it corrodes reinforced concrete pavement, which most of the Dallas pavements are. I don't know about the East Coast but many Western States (CA, NV, CO, WA) have stopped salting roads years ago and now just use sand.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'd trade that for RELIABLE electric service. Our power goes out all the time. ALL. THE. TIME. It's something I've put up with for four years because I like my neighborhood but after this...I am seriously considering moving out of this part of Richardson. I can't stand it anymore.
With the power being off that long isn't your house getting a little bit on the chilly side of being comfortable?

Old 12-07-2013, 11:50 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post

Some areas got more then 3" of sleet on top of the freezing rain. THAT is not thin ice.

The salt is not good for the environment. The chemical de-icer doesn't work when the freezing rain washes it away.

Ice storms are different creatures than snow storms.

Thankful that I have electricity and food. The rest is just an inconvenience.

Temps in the teens isn't cold?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas