Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2007, 08:14 PM

10 posts, read 42,224 times

Advertisements

I am thinking to build a new home in Frisco area. What are the criterias that I need to set in my mind just before finalizing the contract with a builder?
Also once I sign the contract what are next hardles that I have to cross over//
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 08:47 PM

63 posts, read 364,985 times
What Builder are you thinking about building with?

Old 11-26-2007, 11:21 AM

Thinking of Wall Homes. Garyhawk or Dominion at Panther creek community.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:58 PM

63 posts, read 364,985 times
I have heard good things about Wall Homes but have no first hand experience with them. The communities that you mention used to be Newmark home communities however they agreed to a buy out from Wall. The founder of Wall is former CEO of Choice Homes which was plauged with homeowner issues a year or two ago, you can read more here HomeOwners for Better Building - Was Choice Homes the Right Choice . The ariticle gives both sides. I would recommend that you take time to meet as many neighbors who purchased and built in the community to get their first hand feedback. I have clients who are in a Grand Home in Panther creek and they love the neighborhood. They both have been there for almost a year now and love their neighbors and have gave me nothing bot positive feedback. I believe Highland Homes has one community in the area off of the Dallas parkway, highlandhomes.com, I would recommend checking them out also. I spent endless hours researching different markets and builders and chose Highland because of their excellent building process and how great the feedback was from our neighbors. My wife loved the experience so much she now works down the street for Highland part time as an assistant in between staying home with our daughter!

Besh wishes,

Jory

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh12 View Post
Thinking of Wall Homes. Garyhawk or Dominion at Panther creek community.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:13 PM

Thanks Jory.

I am going to consider all those communities and builders.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:52 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,759,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh12 View Post
I am thinking to build a new home in Frisco area. What are the criterias that I need to set in my mind just before finalizing the contract with a builder?
Also once I sign the contract what are next hardles that I have to cross over//
This would be a good question to ask in the Real Estate Professionals forum... bet you could get a lot of great answers to explain the exact process.

Real Estate Professionals - City-Data Forum: Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions

Old 11-26-2007, 08:21 PM

24 posts, read 102,522 times
I believe Highland Homes has one community in the area off of the Dallas parkway, highlandhomes.com, I would recommend checking them out also. I spent endless hours researching different markets and builders and chose Highland because of their excellent building process and how great the feedback was from our neighbors. My wife loved the experience so much she now works down the street for Highland part time as an assistant in between staying home with our daughter!

The community off of Dallas Parkway is Cobb Hill. Drees is the other builder in that subdivision. We were previous Highland Homes owners and they have exceptional customer service. We sold the house and bought a Drees home and their customer service does not compare to Highland. Good quality home with Drees but customer service needs improvement.

I would recommend buying on the west side of Frisco by DNT. There will be a lot of development between Main Street and ElDorado with retail, entertainment and restaurants. Market Street is being build across from the brand new Super Target off Eldorado. Main Event will be built at the northwest corner of Main Street and DNT and possibly Costco.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:30 AM

4 posts, read 38,625 times
First, I would find out if they use an engineered foundation plan, what type of foundation it is. Remember, build your house upon a rock. Next, make sure you have exactly what you want built on the blueprints and do not deviate from the plans. This is how contractors make extra $$$. Any changes not included in the bid will cost $$$$$$$. Look at the details of the plan, i.e. bathroom door width (2' doors are extremely narrow and difficult if you use a walker, crutches or a wheelchair). Check on the builders warranty, is it through a separate warranty provider? Many of the providers have several requirements and inspections to be made during the construction process. If the contractor shies away from engineering or warranties, I would shy away from that contractor (probably cuts corners). Remember, you have to pay for quality. I like to take several bids, throw out the highest and lowest and make my decision from the middle of the group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: