Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 09:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,394 times

Advertisements

Howdy!

I will soon be purchasing a condo or townhome in the uptown/oaklawn/deep ellum area and am struggling with whether I should go the 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom route. My budget is capped at roughly 175k. Everyone and their dog tells me two bedroom; however, I can get a much nicer one bedroom in my price range. Due to the glut of young professionals flocking to this area, I'm thinking one bed room may be a better option for me. I will most likely be selling/renting this place within 5 years. Any help is much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 09:44 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,572 times
So many variables, I've been casually looking in the area too. I think a 2 bedroom would probably be easier to sell, but a 1 bedroom is probably easier to rent out.

I would just pick the unit you like best. I've noticed pretty significant differences in HOA fees between various buildings, so that's definitely something to consider. Realtor.com now lists the difference between listing price, and what the place sold for. I've noticed that gap is getting smaller.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:35 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,571 times
2 bedroom is probably a better "investment", but sometimes you have to invest in yourself, ie, make yourself happy. If you are happier with a one bedroom, I say get it, especially since you don't plan on selling it anytime soon.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,394 times
Thanks to you both! The two BRs in my price range are older, lack desirable "flow" from room to room, and are of lesser quality than the one BRs I'm finding. Would love to snatch up a two BR for investment purposes, but the only ones that I've viewed that have any "wow" factor are the one BRs.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:50 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,571 times
Then go with the wow factor. I have bought several houses because they were the best investments. However, in retrospect, I should have bought a couple of the houses that were lesser investments, but would have made me happier. Also, I lost a couple of houses over a few thousands dollars. In the long run, the little bit of money does not make much of a difference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: