Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2013, 09:29 AM

368 posts, read 928,970 times

Advertisements

So my husband and I have two different priorities for moving to Dallas in the next few months. He wants new or newer construction, which we haven't found in Plano, and I want school districts that not only would benefit our gifted soon-to-be 7-yr-old but provide support for the fact that he also has high functioning autism and ADHD. When I mention this to DH, he says that we shouldn't move to a location on the basis of a school that may or may not provide the resources our son needs. And resources I mean perhaps an additional resource in the classroom to help give him more time completing tasks, supportive of an IEP (which we currently have here in South Florida in addition to a 504), and a school administration that doesn't blow you off when you bring up issues in the classroom (sorry, recent troubles in our "top public" school in our district has made me a bit gun shy).

In terms of school districts, is Plano considered more progressive/supportive than Garland particularly with respect to autism and ADHD? If you have specific elementary schools in mind that do a great job in your opinion, please let me know! We just need assistance focusing our search and given everyone's differing opinions about how well the school districts are doing, it's hard to get a bead on where to commit.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 01:38 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,792 times
I have a really close friend with a child that sounds very similar to your own. She lives in Plano and decided to go private after a year of frustration with the public school system when it came to resources and support for her son's case.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:44 PM

Uh oh, yikes! I heard about the PPCD program in Plano and was glad to hear that was a program that could help support high functioning kids. Ugh, so many varying stories about PISD... I'm wondering if Richardson ISD would be a better bet. I guess it really depends on the school. I'm trying to get a sense of which elementary schools in which districts provide these support programs for aspie kids who do very well academically but need support on a social level. DS doesn't have trouble making friends, just trouble keeping them because he always has to dominate play, make up his own rules, have things a certain way, etc.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:00 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz2525 View Post
Uh oh, yikes! I heard about the PPCD program in Plano and was glad to hear that was a program that could help support high functioning kids. Ugh, so many varying stories about PISD... I'm wondering if Richardson ISD would be a better bet. I guess it really depends on the school. I'm trying to get a sense of which elementary schools in which districts provide these support programs for aspie kids who do very well academically but need support on a social level. DS doesn't have trouble making friends, just trouble keeping them because he always has to dominate play, make up his own rules, have things a certain way, etc.
I hear Richardson ISD is good for autistic kids but not for kids with dyslexia. I don't have kids so I wouldn't know from personal experience. Richardson also does not have new builds except in areas served by the Plano ISD. Most of the housing stock here is from the 50s to the 80s.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:08 PM

264 posts, read 625,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Richardson also does not have new builds except in areas served by the Plano ISD.
The Canyon Creek area that feeds to Prairie Creek and Canyon Creek Elementary(RISD) has over 20 homes built within the last five years, most built within the last two to three years.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakehighlands View Post
The Canyon Creek area that feeds to Prairie Creek and Canyon Creek Elementary(RISD) has over 20 homes built within the last five years, most built within the last two to three years.
Those were teardowns and are not typical of the area. They are also by and large premium homes that are out of many peoples' price ranges. The OP didn't specify a budget but if they're considering Garland for new builds, Prairie Creek is probably out of their budget.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:26 PM

Yeah, our budget is $300k max, and even that's stretching. We'd be far more comfortable with $275-280k.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz2525 View Post
Yeah, our budget is $300k max, and even that's stretching. We'd be far more comfortable with $275-280k.
Yup, new builds in Prairie Creek are out of your price range. They're out of most peoples' price ranges!

Hope you guys find what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas