U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2013, 05:42 PM

286 posts, read 380,994 times

Advertisements

Anyone seen both?

Last edited by curtbr72; 12-12-2013 at 06:17 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 05:51 PM

2,410 posts, read 3,192,376 times
I saw Dallas Buyers Club at the Angelika. It was different than I thought it would be, and obviously not filmed in Dallas. The movie has great acting, and I learned a lot about the buyers club, which I had never heard about. I read a lot about Ron Woodroof (the main character) after watching it, and I think there were a lot of facts left out or changed for the movie.

I wanted to see Parkland, but watched Catching Fire for the second time instead because my friend hadn't seen it.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
I saw Dallas Buyers Club at the Angelika. It was different than I thought it would be, and obviously not filmed in Dallas. The movie has great acting, and I learned a lot about the buyers club, which I had never heard about. I read a lot about Ron Woodroof (the main character) after watching it, and I think there were a lot of facts left out or changed for the movie.

I wanted to see Parkland, but watched Catching Fire for the second time instead because my friend hadn't seen it.
I saw Parkland and going to watch DBC this weekend. Heard it got nominated for some awards today.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 12-12-2013 at 06:07 PM..

Old 12-12-2013, 06:13 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,674,183 times
Parkland wasn't built in Dallas either. All these movies and others would of added to the economy if it wasn't for Dallas unfriendly environment for the film industry. They scare production companies away.

Great PR for Dallas though.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Parkland wasn't built in Dallas either. All these movies and others would of added to the economy if it wasn't for Dallas unfriendly environment for the film industry. They scare production companies away.

Great PR for Dallas though.
Actually Dallas is pretty friendly when it comes to film production.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:31 PM

2,170 posts, read 4,890,533 times
In "Dallas Buyers Club," the "Dallas" in the movie looks small town. I know it was supposed to be the 80s but Dallas was a big, bustling city back then too. It looks like Shreveport, where it was filmed.

And then there's that line in "Parkland" where the one fed agent looks around, while putting JFK's body on the plane at Love Field, and says, "what a s----- place to die."

It's great to see Dallas portrayed on the big screen, even in a flawed way, but it would be nice to see a contemporary Dallas on the screen (and not being a stand-in for LA or something).

Old 12-12-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
In "Dallas Buyers Club," the "Dallas" in the movie looks small town. I know it was supposed to be the 80s but Dallas was a big, bustling city back then too. It looks like Shreveport, where it was filmed.

And then there's that line in "Parkland" where the one fed agent looks around, while putting JFK's body on the plane at Love Field, and says, "what a s----- place to die."

It's great to see Dallas portrayed on the big screen, even in a flawed way, but it would be nice to see a contemporary Dallas on the screen (and not being a stand-in for LA or something).
Yea those hollywood types think Dallas is some hick town and we all ride horses. Thats fine, that stereotype is slowly dieing off.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:22 AM

281 posts, read 613,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtbr72 View Post
Yea those hollywood types think Dallas is some hick town and we all ride horses. Thats fine, that stereotype is slowly dieing off.
It's not??? Well that's why I was wanting to move there dangit! Thought it was flooded with cowboys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: