Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 08:38 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times

Advertisements

I went to Pearce, and there was a very large Jewish population. We didn't all go to private school, nor did we want to go to private school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 03:31 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
No, it was the statement "Would rather put money into our home than sending our kids to private school,"..... which is definitely more of a modern than an Orthodox philosophy...
Hey, I'm in the tribe, too. Don't be so quick to try to find reasons to take offense.
Fair enough. Some Orthodox parents don't think that way though.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:44 PM

3 posts, read 15,257 times
No we aren't orthodox. Actually ultra reform. I don't want to put my kids in a Jewish day school and unless forced to don't want to look at any secular private schools either. But so far I'm not hearing of any other public schools that has a decent Jewish population outside of Brentfield. Any other areas to look at?

Old 12-13-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtodallas5 View Post
No we aren't orthodox. Actually ultra reform. I don't want to put my kids in a Jewish day school and unless forced to don't want to look at any secular private schools either. But so far I'm not hearing of any other public schools that has a decent Jewish population outside of Brentfield. Any other areas to look at?
Well, this is DFW...not New York, not Philadelphia, not Los Angeles.

Temple Emanu-El is the largest congregation in the south; if you contact them they might be able to give you some guidance as to which public schools to choose if you want your children to have some Jewish friends. Most families I know in the "traditional" Jewish areas in north Dallas send their kids to private schools because Dallas public schools...even in the affluent areas...are a joke. Hillcrest used to be known as "Hebrew High" but those days are looooooooooooooong gone. If I had gone to public high school that's where I would have gone, but I knew some kids who went there and they said it was awful. This was 20 years ago. It's way worse now.

I don't know the community in Plano so I don't really know which public schools there have a Jewish population. There is an eruv in FND with a lot of Orthodox families; no idea where they send their kids to school. I bet for every one who sends their kid to public school, there's 2 who ferry the kid to Akiba or a temple day school.

Sorry!

Old 12-13-2013, 07:50 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Well, this is DFW...not New York, not Philadelphia, not Los Angeles.
Or Chicago (says the guy who stops at New York Bagel & Bialy on Touhy in Lincolnwood right near Skokie every time he goes back to visit).

Old 12-13-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Or Chicago (says the guy who stops at New York Bagel & Bialy on Touhy in Lincolnwood right near Skokie every time he goes back to visit).
I've never been to Chicago but that sounds Jewish to me.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:03 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I've never been to Chicago but that sounds Jewish to me.
* New York Bagel and Bialy Corporation in Lincolnwood, IL proudly serves up some of the best bagels in the Midwest.

Last time I was there it was the high holidays, so the line went out the door. No bagels for me!

FTR, paternal grandparents were Holocaust survivors, but my mother is a gentile and I was raised Vaguely Roman Catholic so not of the tribe.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:08 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times
Off the top of my head, and looking at the middle school level, Frankford MS in Plano ISD has probably the largest Jewish population. You'll also find a smattering at Schimelpfenig, Renner, and Haggard MS.

Take a look at the eruv in Far North Dallas for a starting point. FWIW, there's also an eruv in Plano, but I don't think it's really taken off yet.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:35 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,823 times
The largest Jewish population I know is between Royal and Forest and between Hillcrest and Tollway. Every Saturday you see them walking to temple. 30 years ago Hillcrest High School was known as the Jewish high school. However, since that school arguably has issues now, I doubt that many of the Jewish people living by it send their kids there- but you may want to live close to it. Also, the tom thumb at Preston and Forest is very kosher friendly.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:21 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
The largest Jewish population I know is between Royal and Forest and between Hillcrest and Tollway. Every Saturday you see them walking to temple. 30 years ago Hillcrest High School was known as the Jewish high school. However, since that school arguably has issues now, I doubt that many of the Jewish people living by it send their kids there- but you may want to live close to it. Also, the tom thumb at Preston and Forest is very kosher friendly.
I thought it was between Forest & 635, not Forest & Royal. Isn't the eruv north of Forest? I feel like I always see them walking across Preston by the Cooper Center on Saturdays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas