Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 09:38 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times

Advertisements

While Dallas does have the largest Jewish population in the state, that isn't saying much. I believe the most recent estimates were around 70,000. Thats quite small compared to a place like New York, LA, Philly, or Miami (the big four). However, I think there are still enough ammenities where a Jewish person of any persuasion can find what they need (delis, Temples, community centers, etc.).

The Jewish community in DFW is concentrated from Preston Hollow and Far North Dallas, through Richardson, and into Plano. As far as schools that will have large amounts of Jewish students, Lake Highlands, Pearce, and Berkner in Richardson and Plano Central and East in Plano will fit that bill.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 10:58 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,297,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
While Dallas does have the largest Jewish population in the state, that isn't saying much. I believe the most recent estimates were around 70,000. Thats quite small compared to a place like New York, LA, Philly, or Miami (the big four). However, I think there are still enough ammenities where a Jewish person of any persuasion can find what they need (delis, Temples, community centers, etc.).

The Jewish community in DFW is concentrated from Preston Hollow and Far North Dallas, through Richardson, and into Plano. As far as schools that will have large amounts of Jewish students, Lake Highlands, Pearce, and Berkner in Richardson and Plano Central and East in Plano will fit that bill.

Hope that helps.
NO way Lake Highlands has a large jewish population.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:02 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I thought it was between Forest & 635, not Forest & Royal. Isn't the eruv north of Forest? I feel like I always see them walking across Preston by the Cooper Center on Saturdays.
http://dallaseruv.org/EruvMap.jpg

Old 12-14-2013, 08:37 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
I went to schools in Plano starting in 2nd grade, on up through high school. There were several Jewish children living in our neighborhood and attending the schools I did, one lived next door, two more families on the cul-de-sac behind us, etc. As far as percentages are concerned though, I haven't a clue, and this was also a long time ago. Demographics have probably changed. However, I'm sure there's still a decent amount of Jewish children in Plano schools, at least in Central/West Plano. Certainly enough so that your children wouldn't feel like outsiders.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:05 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I went to schools in Plano starting in 2nd grade, on up through high school. There were several Jewish children living in our neighborhood and attending the schools I did, one lived next door, two more families on the cul-de-sac behind us, etc. As far as percentages are concerned though, I haven't a clue, and this was also a long time ago. Demographics have probably changed. However, I'm sure there's still a decent amount of Jewish children in Plano schools, at least in Central/West Plano. Certainly enough so that your children wouldn't feel like outsiders.
I'm just wondering why the OP is so concerned about other Jewish children when they are ultra-Reform and probably not very observant (not that there's anything wrong with that)...I just find it a little confusing.

What's the motivation for wanting your kids to go to school with other Jewish kids when you wouldn't consider a Jewish day school? Usually parents around here solve the "we want Jewish friends" problem by sending their kids to a private school or by making sure that they participate in synagogue life, if for no other reason than to make sure their kids have at least some Jewish friends.

Growing up I didn't know many Jewish families who thought it was terribly important to surround their children with other Jews; my parents were an exception in that they were very firm that my brother and I should not attend public school and that Judaic studies should be part of our formal education from the very beginning. I was raised Conservative, most of my neighborhood friends were gentiles but the Jewish ones were almost always Reform. There wasn't any issue with having gentile friends, though my mother did once complain for hours when my brother brought home a shiksa. Luckily for him he didn't marry her.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:25 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm just wondering why the OP is so concerned about other Jewish children when they are ultra-Reform and probably not very observant (not that there's anything wrong with that)...I just find it a little confusing.

What's the motivation for wanting your kids to go to school with other Jewish kids when you wouldn't consider a Jewish day school? Usually parents around here solve the "we want Jewish friends" problem by sending their kids to a private school or by making sure that they participate in synagogue life, if for no other reason than to make sure their kids have at least some Jewish friends.

Growing up I didn't know many Jewish families who thought it was terribly important to surround their children with other Jews; my parents were an exception in that they were very firm that my brother and I should not attend public school and that Judaic studies should be part of our formal education from the very beginning. I was raised Conservative, most of my neighborhood friends were gentiles but the Jewish ones were almost always Reform. There wasn't any issue with having gentile friends, though my mother did once complain for hours when my brother brought home a shiksa. Luckily for him he didn't marry her.
Most of my Jewish friends from Dallas and in college solved the "we want Jewish friends" problem by going to temple and by going to "Jew camp" (their term for it) in the summers. I don't think any of them went to particularly Jewish high schools or grade schools, other than the fact that they went to relatively affluent schools (aside from those who went to Kramer-Franklin-Hillcrest, of whom I know probably 5 or 6). You aren't going to experience much anti-Semitism in Dallas nowadays--I personally never heard a single anti-Semitic comment until my first day at Jesuit, when a kid used "to Jew" as a synonym for "to swindle" and promptly got chewed out by a counselor.

If your concern is that they find potential Jewish spouses, I would think the combination of temple and summer camp would be sufficient, followed perhaps by Hillel and a fraternity or sorority in college.

The previous responses have been spot on--Pearce and Plano West amongst the public schools have the largest concentrations of Jews as far as I'm aware. Greenhill is by far the most Jewish of the non-Jewish private schools (around a third, I believe). St. Mark's, Hockaday, and surprisingly, the Episcopal School of Dallas also have decent numbers of Jewish kids. However, you're not likely to find a school that's more than 10-20% Jewish outside Greenhill and the Jewish day schools.

I believe that a substantial number of the white kids at Hillcrest and Franklin are Jewish, but Hillcrest is only 12% white of around 1200 kids, so if a quarter of the white kids are Jewish, that would be approximately 10 per year. However, most of the white kids are in AP classes which have a pretty high ratio of white students, especially compared to the school as a whole.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:17 AM

7 posts, read 18,621 times
At Haggar elementary in PISD, 10% of my kids' class is Jewish. I would suggest looking beyond what you see on paper and touring some schools to get a feel for it. We are a Plano West feeder and I know many Jewish families that go to numerous elementary schools in the area. Try looking at zip codes 75252, 75287 and those areas in Willow Bend at park and the tollway. I am quite happy that we are not in a total Jewish environment, I think my children are far more well rounded for it. We do belong to a synagogue and they will eventually take part in BBYO and they do go to Jewish summer camp. I like the fact that they can have all sorts of friends.
Good luck!

Old 12-19-2013, 01:23 PM

140 posts, read 232,658 times
You don’t seem particularly observant and don’t want your kids to go to a Jewish day school, but you are clearly concerned about the number of Jews in their school. May I ask why? Is your concern potential prejudice? If so, I can pretty much assure you they won’t face that in the middle-class suburban public schools, even if they are the only Jews in the school (which they won't be). I can also assure you that they will be singing one or two Hannukah songs at the “winter holiday choir” performance every year. In most of these middle-class suburban schools, you will find Hindus to be a larger religious minority than Jews, so they will also be learning about Diwali. Oddly, they have not taught my kids about Ramadan, despite a slightly larger Muslim than Jewish population. Is your concern that they have plenty of Jewish friends? I would think regular synagogue attendance and getting involved in the activities there is thebest way to ensure that. As long as you move within four miles of a synagogue anywhere where there are also good public schools, your kids will probably be fine. Is your concern that they avoid overexposure to Christianity? Well, that's in the air you breathe in Texas. It's in mattress commercials. No avoiding that. If your concerns are indeed religious, however, I really think private school is your best solution.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:04 PM

156 posts, read 181,980 times
Sorry to bump old thread. Interviewing for a job that is based near Mansfield. I'd love to be in the Plano/Richardson area, but was wondering if there are other neighborhoods that may provide a better commute to that area. Or other jewish schools in the mid cities?

Old 04-10-2016, 06:21 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Richardson or Plano will be a horrible commute to Mansfield. No way would that work with a family! Look at Mansfield itself; it's a very popular suburb for families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas