Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2013, 05:34 PM

3 posts, read 8,856 times

Advertisements

We just moved to Prosper from Atlanta....loving our home and new Town!

My brother and his wife are looking to move to DFW.Their budget is under $250,000 and they absolutely love Prosper/Southlake/Fairview/Argyle.They are looking for lot size that is at least a quarter acre in a non-back alley way neighborhood,safe area and good schools near basic shopping and kid friendly activities.Our budget was under $600,000 for Prosper....since we did not explore in the under $250,000 price range, we do not have alot of feedback to offer them.They are going to start working with a realtor,but seek opinions of people actually living in the Towns/Cities that they should consider.They have a 1 year old,his job will be on the Dallas/Plano Border near the Tollway,wife will stay at home.

I know that under $250,000 is very rare for any of these areas unless the property is older construction (not very many homes available) that needs work or within city limits but with a different ISD.

What are some similar areas that are under $250,000 that remind you of Prosper/Southlake/Fairview/Argyle?

Last edited by Southerner6899; 12-14-2013 at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 06:05 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Under $250k in Southlake will buy a vacant lot. You really need at least $400k minimum there. There are a couple of neighborhoods with older, smaller homes, but they usually don't go that low unless there is something seriously wrong with them, like foundation issues. Also, the commute to Plano would be lengthy, and expensive, as it would be on the PGB Tollway. Honestly, cross it off the list.

Argyle would be an even longer commute to Plano because its further away from major highways. They do allow mobile homes in some areas, so that could be an option to get a larger lot. But it's also going to be more isolated from kid-friendly activities (other than owning horses and riding in the area).

What about Frisco? There are more homes there in their price range, and its a lot closer to work, too.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:18 PM

794 posts, read 1,670,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerner6899 View Post
We just moved to Prosper from Atlanta....loving our home and new Town!

My brother and his wife are looking to move to DFW.Their budget is under $250,000 and they absolutely love Prosper/Southlake/Fairview/Argyle.They are looking for lot size that is at least a quarter acre in a non-back alley way neighborhood,safe area and good schools near basic shopping and kid friendly activities.Our budget was under $600,000 for Prosper....since we did not explore in the under $250,000 price range, we do not have alot of feedback to offer them.They are going to start working with a realtor,but seek opinions of people actually living in the Towns/Cities that they should consider.They have a 1 year old,his job will be on the Dallas/Plano Border near the Tollway,wife will stay at home.

I know that under $250,000 is very rare for any of these areas unless the property is older construction (not very many homes available) that needs work or within city limits but with a different ISD.

What are some similar areas that are under $250,000 that remind you of Prosper/Southlake/Fairview/Argyle?
If job is at Plano/Dallas border and budget is below $250k then Southlake and Argyle are not practical at all. I would say explore Lewisville or Prosper and focus on nicer house instead of newer house.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:32 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,128 times
You're not getting into Southlake at under 250K...well, not in anything other than a teardown.

Also, if they're working at the Dallas/Plano border near the Tollway, Argyle is a zillion miles from there. Southlake is a long commute as well (I know because that IS my commute), and Prosper and Fairview are closer but not exactly nearby (about 20 miles away, although Fairview is 121 and DNT and Prosper is all DNT).

Old 12-14-2013, 09:23 PM

3 posts, read 8,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
If job is at Plano/Dallas border and budget is below $250k then Southlake and Argyle are not practical at all. I would say explore Lewisville or Prosper and focus on nicer house instead of newer house.
Thanks for your input...

The median home price in Prosper was close to $349,000 the last time we checked...I just did a search for under $250,000 in Prosper with Prosper ISD and found 2 listings for under $250,000.One in the older downtown area that would not be an option,but the other could be.

How does Lewisville compare to Prosper and Fairview? What is the median home value there,what is that area like?

Old 12-14-2013, 09:33 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,571,168 times
Quote:
Thanks for your input...

The median home price in Prosper was close to $349,000 the last time we checked...I just did a search for under $250,000 in Prosper with Prosper ISD and found 2 listings for under $250,000.One in the older downtown area that would not be an option,but the other could be.

How does Lewisville compare to Prosper and Fairview? What is the median home value there,what is that area like?
Lewisville, TX

Prosper, TX

These are basic answers to questions.

What do you mean how does it compare?

Old 12-15-2013, 09:46 AM

47 posts, read 203,400 times
Hi Southerner6899,

We just made the same move ourselves. (ATL to DFW) There are some developments that could work for your brother that are in Prosper ISD, but have a McKinney address. The far east side is bordered by Lake Forest Road. Waterside, Summit View Lake, Heatherwood and Robinson Ridge are the neighborhoods. Heatherwood and Robinson Ridge still have upcoming phases of new construction. The fast west side of Prosper ISD has a neighborhood called Artesia. You have to be careful over there though, to check the ISD boundaries because some of the streets are in Denton ISD. Also along Hwy. 380 is a development (can't think of the name of it, but it is near Coit Road and 380. Beazer, First Texas and one other builder are in there.) with a McKinney address but Prosper ISD. Also for resales there is a neighborhood just south of the Walmart on Custer called Virginia Hills that is Prosper ISD. Just south of that is a development called Westridge (DR Horton). The original phase is Frisco ISD, but there is a new phase that is Prosper ISD. Again, be very careful to doublecheck the ISD boundaries. They are drawn much differently than in Georgia!

The posters here were very helpful when we were transitioning. Since living here, I have learned that Fairview is even more expensive than Propser. Argyle and Southlake are lovely but definitely too far away for a daily commute. In fact, our personal situation has changed in the short time that we have been here and we will probably move to Coppell eventually. We love Prosper though.

Feel free to DM me if you have any questions.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:53 AM

794 posts, read 1,670,162 times
Everyone likes to buy bigger, newer and cheaper house in green pastures but it puts you in a difficult position if you change job or job changes location. You end up with a hellish commute or uprooting children and selling your house which buyers aren't interested in as not many want to buy used stuff in boonies when new is within reach. Always try to stay as central as possible to keep your options open.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:50 AM

149 posts, read 306,805 times
Quote:
Thanks for your input...

Lewisville is a nearly built out city that had most of its growth in the 1970s to 1990s, while Prosper & Fairview should still be building out over the next 10-15 years. It's pretty much like any other portion of Northern DFW suburbia, in that it has everyone one needs but not much to separate it from other areas. I'd guess the median home value is around $175,00, but the housing stock in pretty diverse (as in $120s to $300s) if somewhat tilting towards the starter home side of things. I'd probably look at North Carrollton, Flower Mound or Frisco if I were to look at buying again, but I'm happy with living in Lewisville for now (will probably look at moving once my kids reach middle school age).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas