Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 04:26 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,644,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I think you would be rather disappointed to buy a house in a typical Dallas suburb and find your neighbors hail from India, California, California, California again, and New Jersey. Oh, and another family from India.
Or as happened to us at a recent party, Indians who hailed from New Jersey and California! They hit both items at once!

The OP appears to be looking for a very religious and conservative "Red State" culture. That's fine, but as you note, they'll likely find the Metroplex to be more politically diverse than they would like. Your list of cities (generally smaller ones in TX and OK) would likely be a better fit for them in that regards.

And FWIW, I have no idea about the political leanings of the aforementioned party-goers. Which is another heads-up to the OP: in general if you're leading with strong political and/or religious views and said views dominate your discussions, you're likely to antagonize more people than you befriend. That's true whether one is very conservative or very liberal (in my experience). Even in extremely Conservative/Liberal areas, it's unlikely that more than 70% of the population (in any sizable area) will vote for one "side", which means that you're going to tick off every third or fourth person you meet. I've found great neighbors and friends with widely varying beliefs (and yes, I've also met jerks from all along the political spectrum and variousn religions and whatnot).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 06:44 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,677,759 times
Suggest you explore the city of Longview. About 2 hours west of Dallas, and about 45 min from Shreveport, LA. Healthy economy, low cost of living, very traditional Texas values.

Longview, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-16-2013, 07:52 PM

26 posts, read 36,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
4th generation Dallasite here....I have NEVER heard the term "Texas Triangle" and certainly wouldn't consider Texarkana to be a premier destination for jobs, culture, or public schools.....despite what "dozens" of people (in Florida?) might have told you,

From what you're telling us about your wants & needs, I would suggest a different short list of cities:
Fort Worth
San Antonio
Midland/Odessa
Tulsa
Oklahoma City

These are going to be more conservative, have fewer transplants from around the US/world than Dallas, be great job markets (Dallas is one, too, I just don't think uou'd like the overall vibe of Dallas), have a more unique/local culture than Dallas (which is more a diverse, growing urban US city than "Big D" or "Southern" or "Southwestern", etc). They will also meet your needs for good public schools and cost of living.

I think you would be rather disappointed to buy a house in a typical Dallas suburb and find your neighbors hail from India, California, California, California again, and New Jersey. Oh, and another family from India. Because that is a very real scenario in many suburban neighborhoods as thousands of families migrate to Texas each year for better quality of life, lower cost of living, and better job/education opportunities. In the city of Dallas itself, you're more likely to encounter native Dallasites (or at least native Texans), but still quite likely to have neighbors who relocated from Chicago, New York, DC, etc for corporate relocations.
Thanks for the feedback... from what I'm hearing Dallas is more like Tampa then I had previously imagined. An over crowded city state full of transplants.

We are still gonna check out Dallas, but the more I hear back the more I'm beginning to like Fort Worth, Longview, and even Oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas