Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2013, 08:44 AM

131 posts, read 307,392 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My husband (33) and I (29) have lived in Dallas (Uptown) for 3 years now, I can hardly believe it. We are finally ready to settle in and buy a home.

I work in Oak Cliff and my husband currently works from home but may eventually have to begin commuting to his office in Grapevine. We are looking for a good spot inbetween so we're open to Addison, Carrollton, and some areas of North Dallas. We had not given Farmer's Branch much thought until I received an e-mail that K. Hovnanian is building 2 new communities there. The only thing I know about Farmer's Branch is that Brookhaven country club is nearby and Addisons shops and restaurants are not far either.

Does anyone have a first hand account of living in Farmer's Branch or even in 1 of the 2 new K. Hov communities? I just want to hear some pros and cons. The 2 most important things to us as far as location is that we have a reasonable commute (30-45 min) to each of our jobs and that the area is safe & clean.

Mustang Crossing: New Homes Texas, Farmers Branch, Dallas County, TX by K. Hovnanian® Homes® @ Mustang Crossing
Branch Crossing: New Homes Texas, Farmers Branch, Dallas County, TX by K. Hovnanian® Homes® @ Branch Crossing

Any feedback you can provide would be great. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 01:40 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
I don't think either community is done yet.

They're located right on the DART line and I-35. You should be able to do both commutes within 30-45 minutes by car, though that's going to be mostly sitting in traffic.

Farmers Branch in general is in a great location, but these communities aren't particularly close to Addison or to Brookhaven Country Club. If that's what you're looking for, I'd look east of Webb Chapel. Otherwise, the K. Hov communities are about the same distance from the main stuff in Addison as northern Preston Hollow is.

CFB is a mediocre school district, particularly in Farmers Branch, where the schools feed into Vivian Field Middle School and RL Turner High School. Honestly, you'd be better off in DISD--it's not particularly difficult to transfer into one of the better elementary schools in North Dallas (right now, Withers, DeGolyer, and perhaps Walnut Hill). Parts of Farmers Branch (generally south of Valley View) are in DISD as well.

I would look at houses in North Dallas in the DeGolyer and Withers Elementary attendance areas which are close to Marsh or Midway--that would make it easy to get to the highways.

As a longtime FB resident, I will tell you that FB is not particularly welcoming towards Latinos, even middle class ones. Things have been getting better, and the racist bloc has lost two consecutive elections, but there is still ingrained prejudice against Latinos, particularly amongst the remnants of the old blue-collar community that Farmers Branch used to be. If you're a Latino or a progressive Anglo, it may not be your kind of town, and even living a few blocks away in North Dallas might be preferable.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:19 AM

Thanks for your feedback, theloneranger. We rode over to see the neighborhoods over the holiday and although the surrounding area near the town hall seemed nice, when we went a couple blocks over it seemed a bit run down. For the amount of $, I was hoping for something more (but as my husband said, my hopes are too high lol). I will take a look at some of the areas you mentioned in North Dallas.

Thanks!

Old 12-26-2013, 08:41 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
I would actually recommend buying in North Oak Cliff. You'll have no commute and if your hubby has to office in Grapevine in the future, his will be mostly against traffic. If you look in North Dallas / Carrollton/ FB/ etc, then you'll have a VERY slow moving commute on S/B Tollroad and he'll have a sucky commute via 635. You'll be in the middle distance-wise, but signing up for two mediocre commutes.

If you're hell-bent on brand new homes, something in southern Grand Prairie / Arlington (along I-20) or Irving/ Las Colinas would work better, commute-wise.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:48 AM

I'm glad to hear you say that, TurtleCreek. I am very interested in Oak Cliff but was concerned about my husband's commute so I haven't looked into it very much. I will definitely look into it now.

I'm not very interested in brand new homes, I would prefer something older with a mature yard. My husband feels the opposite though lol. I have a feeling this home buying process will be a difficult one!!

Old 12-26-2013, 09:20 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Are children in the future, and if so, how soon? If so, you definitely want to make a good school district a top criteria, or you could end up paying $$$ for private school.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:33 AM

No kids in our future, only the furry kind. However, I think we should still keep school districts in the back of our mind because we will probably end up selling one day. We plan to stay put for a while but if there is a job opportunity elsewhere it is a possibility that we will move in the next 5-10 yrs.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:34 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmorgan7 View Post
I'm glad to hear you say that, TurtleCreek. I am very interested in Oak Cliff but was concerned about my husband's commute so I haven't looked into it very much. I will definitely look into it now.

I'm not very interested in brand new homes, I would prefer something older with a mature yard. My husband feels the opposite though lol. I have a feeling this home buying process will be a difficult one!!
It's probably 25-35 minute commute to Grapevine, and with multiple route options (Hampton -> 35 -> 114, 30-> Loop 12 -> 183 -> 114, Hamton -> 35 -> 183 -> airport Tollroad, etc).

Old 12-26-2013, 12:38 PM

118 posts, read 252,803 times
There are also new homes from Khov coming in in North Las Colinas / Valley Ranch area called Campion Hollows. I believe there will be other builders there as well. If you're looking into an older home, La Vallita has some unique homes on a lake. I would recommend this area over the Farmers Branch neighborhood.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:56 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,022,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWtransplant189 View Post
There are also new homes from Khov coming in in North Las Colinas / Valley Ranch area called Campion Hollows. I believe there will be other builders there as well. If you're looking into an older home, La Vallita has some unique homes on a lake. I would recommend this area over the Farmers Branch neighborhood.
Other builder is DW. Khov homes are going to be start in mid 300's. I think, they are building flyover from Valley Ranch pkwy to 635/GB. I am not sure if they are going to feed into Lavillata elementary or Tom Landry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas