U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-30-2013, 05:18 PM
 
3 posts, read 2,813 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I have read a lot of post already and have a general idea of a few places I want to check out when I move to Dallas in Feb, but I wanted to get an updated version as alot of the threads I found were 1-2 years old or older.

From what I gathered, the areas I would like would be Uptown, Knox/Henderson, Addison, possibly Los Colinas (I will be working in Irving). Oh yeah maybe "the village".

I am a 33 yr old, single male, and wont really no many people, if anyone in Dallas. I have lived in the suburbs most of my life, but in moving, I want to be in the mix, where things are happening, so I can meet people and have something to do, if I want.

I live a balanced lifestyle, I like doing things, going out, and being in the mix, but I also like my down time and be low key at times. I have a dog, and am looking for a 1 bedroom place, and I can afford around $1300 a month in rent before utilities.

Uptown sounds great, but I am a little concerned, it's like Miami south beach or something, I like being in the mix, but I like real people, laid back people, that just like to have fun. Don't need anything pretentious.

I've heard mixed reviews on Addison, some say it's great, others say its dead, in almost 2014 how is it?

Knox/Henderson sounds cool from what everyone says, but I am worried it may be a little to suburbanish and not quite much going on? Is that the case? Or is pretty cool, maybe like a minature uptown where people are cooler? And what side is better to live on as far as being social, knox or henderson?

Los Colinas - its by work so that's a plus, but is it dead or even though may be not as many places, there are things going on, and enough to have fun and get into something, if thats what your looking for?

The Village sounds like fun, but it also sounds like its all college kids. Is it people in their late 20s, early 30s or is college kids?

Thanks for all the help, fire away with whatever you think. Thanks!!

-Matt
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-30-2013, 05:46 PM
 
714 posts, read 1,027,671 times
Reputation: 885
Welcome in advance to Dallas! I think there are a lot of good options for you, but like anyone, it will be a matter of finding something you like within the confines of the monthly budget you've set.

For most nicer places in Uptown, you'd probably be looking at a little over $1300 as the starting rent for a full 1-bedroom in one of the newer complexes. A lot of folks in Uptown have a 2 Bedroom with a roommate due to this.

Although there are definitely people in their 30's living there, I feel like a lot of the apartments in the area are new grads and young professionals in their 20's. The nice thing is it's a very vibrant area and convenient to numerous bars & restaurants, Katy Trail etc so it'd probably be the easiest area to meet people. I do think there's an element of that South Beach vibe you mentioned, but more in a subdued Dallas kind of way. A lot of people are about bling and their cars etc, but that's anywhere & definitely not reflective of everyone.

I feel like since you mentioned you've been in a more suburban area, somewhere near Knox/Henderson or the Oak Lawn area might be good options depending on what's available price-wise. I feel like it'd probably be a good compromise because there aren't a lot of huge multi-level apartment buildings like Uptown. It's more a mix of duplexes, smaller apartments, condos, townhouses & single-family homes. You could search in the 75219 zip code for Oak Lawn/Turtle Creek area rentals. I feel like maybe that'd also lend itself to still being within close proximity to Uptown & Downtown, but also with more residents your age.

I'd say the same goes for Knox Henderson & Greenville areas. There are a lot of bars and restaurants off Greenville & Knox-Henderson, but you also have the more residential feel with easy access to Uptown as well.

There are definitely options in the Village that would fit your budget, but IMO it's not that great. It's in Dallas proper and a little further from Uptown/Downtown than the areas I mentioned above, but it's really one of those places that was the "it" place to live before Uptown developed in the 80's for folks moving to Dallas. It's basically just a ton of apartment complexes centered around a "country club" with varying ages, levels of disrepair & residents. I personally just wouldn't want to live in a massive cluster of cheap apartments, but that's just me.

Las Colinas is very suburban. It's basically a master-planned corporate development, along with lofts, apartments, etc but with the exception of going to one of the local restaurants off MacArthur for office Happy Hour, there isn't going to be much going on out there outside your work.

I think Addison is slightly better than Las Colinas in the sense that a lot of people seem to like the bars & restaurants off Beltline. There will also be numerous housing options in your budget and it does have a more suburban feel.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2013, 05:50 PM
 
1,315 posts, read 2,473,958 times
Reputation: 761
I would suggest Addison as a number one choice if you were not commuting to Irving.The Village no way.The Shops at Legacy would be a great option ,but a tough commute.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2013, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Dallas
2,404 posts, read 3,128,705 times
Reputation: 4060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronti80 View Post
I have read a lot of post already and have a general idea of a few places I want to check out when I move to Dallas in Feb, but I wanted to get an updated version as alot of the threads I found were 1-2 years old or older.

From what I gathered, the areas I would like would be Uptown, Knox/Henderson, Addison, possibly Los Colinas (I will be working in Irving). Oh yeah maybe "the village".

I am a 33 yr old, single male, and wont really no many people, if anyone in Dallas. I have lived in the suburbs most of my life, but in moving, I want to be in the mix, where things are happening, so I can meet people and have something to do, if I want.

I live a balanced lifestyle, I like doing things, going out, and being in the mix, but I also like my down time and be low key at times. I have a dog, and am looking for a 1 bedroom place, and I can afford around $1300 a month in rent before utilities.

Uptown sounds great, but I am a little concerned, it's like Miami south beach or something, I like being in the mix, but I like real people, laid back people, that just like to have fun. Don't need anything pretentious.
I think Uptown is a good choice, and there are places in your budget. Post and Gables have most of the buildings down there that are in the mix.
Uptown Dallas - Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronti80 View Post
I've heard mixed reviews on Addison, some say it's great, others say its dead, in almost 2014 how is it?
It's not dead, but Uptown and the core Dallas neighborhoods have a lot more going on now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronti80 View Post
Knox/Henderson sounds cool from what everyone says, but I am worried it may be a little to suburbanish and not quite much going on? Is that the case? Or is pretty cool, maybe like a minature uptown where people are cooler? And what side is better to live on as far as being social, knox or henderson?
Henderson has more bars, and Knox has more retail. Both sides are nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronti80 View Post
Los Colinas - its by work so that's a plus, but is it dead or even though may be not as many places, there are things going on, and enough to have fun and get into something, if thats what your looking for?
Here is a really informative recent thread on Las Colinas:
//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...g-boredom.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronti80 View Post
The Village sounds like fun, but it also sounds like its all college kids. Is it people in their late 20s, early 30s or is college kids?

Thanks for all the help, fire away with whatever you think. Thanks!!

-Matt
I don't really like the Village because it's not really pedestrian friendly and I dont like garden style apartments. However, it is affordable and they have managed to keep it up really well over the years. I think the Village has a younger demographic than most of Uptown, mainly because most of the buildings in Uptown are pretty expensive (for Dallas).

Good luck
__________________
MODERATOR FOR AUSTIN, DALLAS, FORT LAUDERDALE, & TEXAS
Terms of Service/FAQ/Information for Realtors
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2013, 06:25 PM
 
12,882 posts, read 25,706,841 times
Reputation: 12525
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
I would suggest Addison as a number one choice if you were not commuting to Irving.The Village no way.The Shops at Legacy would be a great option ,but a tough commute.

Glad I mentally bookmarked this post from last week....just for posters like you who make bad recommendations

Crew, read the below exchange.

OP, avoid Addison, Las Colinas, and even the Village at all costs. Oh, and double avoid Shops @ Legacy (party central for divorcees way out in the burbs!!) Addison is a glorified strip mall with a bunch of apartments and randoms living there. Las Colinas is a sleepy bedroom community. The Village is the world's largest apartment complex; pretty well managed, but just massive....and the worst commute to Irving of the bunch.


Quote:
Originally Posted by izz007 View Post
I'm a 23 yr old AA male who moved here for a project. I've been working for about a year and a half (love my job, get to live where I want) and regrettably chose to live in Las Colinas (nice area but not my style at all. There's a nearby strip club, Onyx, and that really isn't my thing but as good as it gets out here) because it's about a 5 mile commute to work. At this point I'm willing to do an hour, even an hour and a half commute to live somewhere fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Definitely Uptown!

And I wish I could "sticky" your post so every poster who suggests Las Colinas, Addison, Shops @ Legacy, etc for young & fun professionals would just stop doing that!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
This^^^

I cringe every time I see people recommend those areas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2013, 06:31 PM
 
12,882 posts, read 25,706,841 times
Reputation: 12525
I recommend you focus on Uptown, Downtown, or Knox Henderson. Design District could also be a good option. All of these are vibrant urban areas full of young professionals and fun things to see & do. Your budget will go furthest in design district and probably downtown.

Knox Street side had more restaurants & retail; Henderson side is more bars & restaurants (no chains). Both are good options. I give the edge to Knox Street side because of the Katy Trail though. It's also a couple minutes shorter commute.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2014, 03:26 PM
 
729 posts, read 1,007,705 times
Reputation: 999
Another vote for Knox Henderson.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
>
Powered by Foreclosure.com
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top