Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 09:15 PM

7 posts, read 11,634 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Happy New Year. My wife and I are possibly moving to Dallas and would appreciate some advice. We have looked at websites and have ideas as to where we want to live. I want to know what people that know the area think. We would like a quiet, safe area, and land would be a bonus. We do not need land, but it would be nice to have. We have a nice size budget for a home purchase. I thought I liked the Colony, but have found very little about it online. I have seen some good things about Eastern Colleyville, Southlake, Flower Mound, and McKinney. Safety is the most important and we would like to live in a nice area.

Thank you,

Jason

Last edited by jxc0175; 12-31-2013 at 09:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 09:22 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
The towns you listed are all spread out. Generally it's easier for the regular posters to make suggestions when you provide your commuting tolerance, and the location of your job. There's lots of nice safe areas around Dallas so be as specific as possible on the things you want.

Good luck

Old 12-31-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
The towns you listed are all spread out. Generally it's easier for the regular posters to make suggestions when you provide your commuting tolerance, and the location of your job. There's lots of nice safe areas around Dallas so be as specific as possible on the things you want.

Good luck
Hello. The commute doesn't matter, as the places listed are within 25 miles of the wife's possible job. We're just looking for nice, safe areas. Preferably on the north side of Dallas. The places listed in my previous post are the ones we have been looking at. I'm open to suggestions though. We're moving there from Arizona and want to make the right decision about where to live.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:33 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxc0175 View Post
Hello. The commute doesn't matter, as the places listed are within 25 miles of the wife's possible job. We're just looking for nice, safe areas. Preferably on the north side of Dallas. The places listed in my previous post are the ones we have been looking at. I'm open to suggestions though. We're moving there from Arizona and want to make the right decision about where to live.
25 miles can take up to 1 hour each way and can also involve up to $8-10/day in tolls depending on the start and end points of the commute. I'd encourage you to do some deeper research about what areas meet your commute criteria based on time and money, not distance.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:35 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times
Quote:
Here in DFW, 25v miles can take longer than an hour to drive depending on which road and the time of day. That is part of why we ask WHERE your/your spouse's job is located and how long you want are willing to commute daily. This is a big area with lots of people and lots of traffic.

Knowing your budget would help.

Do you have children? Schools important?

When you say land, how much land are you thinking, and is this land included in your budget? 1 acre? 5 acres? 100 acres? Land in the close in suburbs will carry a premium cost. For more than an acre, you might need to go WAY out to afford what you want.

We truly want to help, but need more info to make good suggestions.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
25 miles can take up to 1 hour each way and can also involve up to $8-10/day in tolls depending on the start and end points of the commute. I'd encourage you to do some deeper research about what areas meet your commute criteria based on time and money, not distance.

My wife has been advised to try and avoid the 75. Her potential employer is located in the Arts District. Posting on here is an attempt at doing more research. Her commute here in Phoenix is roughly an hour each way so an hour commute would not be a deal breaker for a nice area.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Here in DFW, 25v miles can take longer than an hour to drive depending on which road and the time of day. That is part of why we ask WHERE your/your spouse's job is located and how long you want are willing to commute daily. This is a big area with lots of people and lots of traffic.

Knowing your budget would help.

Do you have children? Schools important?

When you say land, how much land are you thinking, and is this land included in your budget? 1 acre? 5 acres? 100 acres? Land in the close in suburbs will carry a premium cost. For more than an acre, you might need to go WAY out to afford what you want.

We truly want to help, but need more info to make good suggestions.

Our budget is around $500-$550k. An acre of land would suffice. We don't need a lot of land, just enough so we are not on top of our neighbors. We have no children and schools are only important because we have found good schools equals great neighborhoods for the most part. Not to mention great resale value.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:47 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
Quote:
Our budget is around $500-$550k. An acre of land would suffice. We don't need a lot of land, just enough so we are not on top of our neighbors. We have no children and schools are only important because we have found good schools equals great neighborhoods for the most part. Not to mention great resale value.
Most of the towns you posted would be close to an hour. Look at towns east and south. Sunnyvale, Rockwall, and Ovilla will have homes on big lots and are safe.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Most of the towns you posted would be close to an hour. Look at towns east and south. Sunnyvale, Rockwall, and Ovilla will have homes on big lots and are safe.
Awesome, thank you. We will check those out. Do you know anything about the Colony by chance?

Old 12-31-2013, 09:57 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times
Here is a house on 1.78 acres in Murphy, just east of Plano. Small town.

365 N Maxwell Creek Rd, Murphy, TX 75094 is For Sale - Zillow

Google Maps show it to be 23.3 miles vie US 75 & 30 minutes in current traffic. Probably closer to an hour during rush hour.

FYI: as a rule, locals don't put "The" in front of road numbers or names. There is no "The 75". It is "75" or "Central" or "Central Expressway". Just trying to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas