U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 04:37 AM

10,358 posts, read 22,051,464 times

Advertisements

Yes, you have to be an RN for at least 2 years to get into NP school. You cannot go straight into NP without experience. And there's no reason at all to get a biology degree if you wan to be a nurse. Get the BSN. That degree is the expectation in the nursing field. And yes, that profession has licensing exams all the way through. If she wants to work in healthcare, she needs to learn how to take a standardized test.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-07-2014, 08:10 AM

10,350 posts, read 10,645,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Yes, you have to be an RN for at least 2 years to get into NP school. You cannot go straight into NP without experience. And there's no reason at all to get a biology degree if you wan to be a nurse. Get the BSN. That degree is the expectation in the nursing field. And yes, that profession has licensing exams all the way through. If she wants to work in healthcare, she needs to learn how to take a standardized test.
Thanks Christie, that's a lot of good info. You also reinforced the notion I had that her dad's main worry is she wouldn't be handle the testing nurses have to take.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:26 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,543,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirlatl View Post
I don't have kids and it has been a while since I took the SAT, but I don't see how this one test during high school will decide if she becomes a physical therapist or not. Has the SAT become so important that it will dictate what a person accomplishes later in life?

I call BS on that statement! This one test will not define this young woman. She still has a lot of maturing to do, and based on her performance in high school, she appears well equipped to achieve her goals in life. I, for one, wish her well.

Sadly for her, she has "family friends" who want to joke about where she is going to college and are quick to pronounce her dreams DOA because of her SAT scores! You seem to be gloating a bit too much in your posts.

Agreed....how is all of that "out the window". A family member who did her masters degree back east, decided to change her careers and become a physical therapist at the ripe old age of 25/26....she went to school in new York, graduated, and now has two years of solid experience under belt and moved out of state to expand her horizons. I actually feel bad for this girl, given the "support" she has been given.

My own General Practioner of 15 years was a electrical engineer and decided at the age of 27/28 that he wanted to be a doctor..became a doctor in his 30's and had we still lived back east, would have still been my doc.

There are countless examples of career changers, major changers to give up hope. I hope this young kid gets the support and hope she deserves and that her self esteem of "not being good enough" isn't too damaged. :-(

Old 01-07-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Thanks Christie, that's a lot of good info. You also reinforced the notion I had that her dad's main worry is she wouldn't be handle the testing nurses have to take.
Maybe her dad should be posting then.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Sorry I struck a nerve.....
I'm trying to understand the discrepancy between fantastic grades and class rank and wholly pedestrian SAT scores.
I think your original question of why kids who get fantastic grades don't test well got lost in the translation due to the fact the this thread morphed into a childs hopes and dreams is "out the window" because she didn't test well.

Too bad, because its a meaningful discussion on how we prepare our children for the future on test taking skills, so their GPA "matches" the results of college admission tests (or just test taking in general).

Old 01-07-2014, 10:31 AM

24,571 posts, read 35,202,919 times
Quote:
I hope you don't say that to anyone who would repeat it to this girl. I'm sure her parents are making her feel inadequate enough, she doesn't need more of it from her friends. Or her friends' parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post

There are countless examples of career changers, major changers to give up hope. I hope this young kid gets the support and hope she deserves and that her self esteem of "not being good enough" isn't too damaged. :-(
This. I refuse to believe that a teenage girl's hopes and dreams are dashed against the rocks because she didn't do as well on the SAT as people expected her to.

Also, not all standardized tests are created equal. I know people who are physicians who, in any other context, are as dumb as a box of rocks. They know their subject matter inside and out and they aced their boards, but they are useless in a game of Trivial Pursuit or an in-depth discussion of geopolitics or macroeconomics. Or a pub quiz. That doesn't mean that they're stupid or that they're bad doctors. I don't know what any of them got on their SATs either, but they all went to "second tier" universities for their undergraduate work too. And they all turned out fine.

I know some people who re-trained as nurses in their 30s and 40s and did just fine. They run the gamut from high school dropouts who went the GED-associate degree-BSN-NP route to people who went straight for the BSN, did a few years in the trenches, then got their NP. Not doing spectacularly on the SAT is NOT the end of this girl's dreams. Not by a longshot.

Personally I am slightly disgusted by some of the posts I've read here.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:20 AM

584 posts, read 848,563 times
Slightly OT, but related on the topic of another hoop that many students have to jump through, that of "impressiveness" in their resume-building, in my opinion Cal Newport has good insight into the mind-set of college admissions officers and their notions of this fuzzy term. He introduces the ideas of the "Zen valedictorian" and the "failed simulation effect."

The Art of Activity Innovation: How to Be Impressive Without an Impressive Amount of Work - Study Hacks - Cal Newport
Case Study: How Could We Save This Ridiculously Overloaded Grind? - Study Hacks - Cal Newport
Do You Want To Succeed in College Admissions? Finish Something. - Study Hacks - Cal Newport
How to Get Into Stanford with B’s on Your Transcript: Failed Simulations & the Surprising Psychology of Impressiveness - Study Hacks - Cal Newport

Old 01-07-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Agreed....how is all of that "out the window". A family member who did her masters degree back east, decided to change her careers and become a physical therapist at the ripe old age of 25/26....she went to school in new York, graduated, and now has two years of solid experience under belt and moved out of state to expand her horizons. I actually feel bad for this girl, given the "support" she has been given.

My own General Practioner of 15 years was a electrical engineer and decided at the age of 27/28 that he wanted to be a doctor..became a doctor in his 30's and had we still lived back east, would have still been my doc.

And there is more or less no way either of those people made an adjusted 1560 (1040 M+S) on their SAT tests.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I hope you don't say that to anyone who would repeat it to this girl. I'm sure her parents are making her feel inadequate enough, she doesn't need more of it from her friends. Or her friends' parents.

This. I refuse to believe that a teenage girl's hopes and dreams are dashed against the rocks because she didn't do as well on the SAT as people expected her to.

Also, not all standardized tests are created equal. I know people who are physicians who, in any other context, are as dumb as a box of rocks. They know their subject matter inside and out and they aced their boards, but they are useless in a game of Trivial Pursuit or an in-depth discussion of geopolitics or macroeconomics. Or a pub quiz. That doesn't mean that they're stupid or that they're bad doctors. I don't know what any of them got on their SATs either, but they all went to "second tier" universities for their undergraduate work too. And they all turned out fine.

I know some people who re-trained as nurses in their 30s and 40s and did just fine. They run the gamut from high school dropouts who went the GED-associate degree-BSN-NP route to people who went straight for the BSN, did a few years in the trenches, then got their NP. Not doing spectacularly on the SAT is NOT the end of this girl's dreams. Not by a longshot.

Personally I am slightly disgusted by some of the posts I've read here.
IMO you are creating your own disgust vis a vis this thread.

1. This kid is her own toughest critic.
2. None of your scenarios above would get her to where she wants to be.
3. Contrary to your implication that her parents are blinded sociopaths they are more or less heros and they've always gone far above and beyond.
4. That said, they are problem solvers and they want the best for her. They are working hard on her behalf. They are not, nor is anyone else, running her down or trying to hurt her feelings.
5. The easy thing for the parents would be to cave, taking the easy way out and letting her go off in a direction that was not part of her plan - again her plan. The hard thing is to try to figure out what is going on and fix/ameliorate the problem.
6. The crux of the problem presents a logical flow. As she struggled with the SAT, at least in context, how will she do well on the NP entrance and exit tests?

Old 01-07-2014, 01:33 PM

Based on how passionate the post above was.. You have me confused...Who are we talking about..your friends kids or yours...your views or theirs ? And I think it's creepy that your so involved with your friends children... Unless it's yours or a family member to which you will get defensive. But if it's your friends kid...let it be..what's done is done. Be a shoulder to your friend and encourage them to support their child's dreams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or