Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 08:37 AM

19 posts, read 29,672 times

Advertisements

We are relocating for my husband's work and would love some information about these areas. We have never been to Texas and will be exploring all areas before we decide on a place. We are interested in living somewhere where we can walk to places. I understand a grocery store is probably not feasible But a place where we could walk to a few restaurants or shops would be fantastic. Do any of these areas have "downtown" living? I didn't come up with much in my search....or maybe they were all above my price range! I am aware of apartments in these downtown areas, but we would preferably avoid apartment living. A townhome would be great, or even a condo. We are looking to buy. Oh, Price range would probably be helpful! Less than $300,000 would be ideal. Also if anyone has any information about these areas I would love to hear anything. We are a young married couple with a one year old child. Looking for a place with activities not only for our family, but for us for when we get a babysitter
Thank you so much in advance! Have a great day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 08:47 AM

20 posts, read 31,566 times
From what I found out so far ... you should look at Legacy Village also known as new downtown of a Plano. It has everything you are looking for and good schools.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:51 AM

Thank you so much, I will look into it. I have seen mixed feelings regarding the safety of Plano. Do you have any insight on that?

Old 01-10-2014, 08:58 AM

85 posts, read 144,075 times
You can look for apartments in Shops at Legacy in Plano and Frisco Square in Frisco. I don't know if they offer townhomes. But these both areas are lively and safe. I have been to Mckinney Square just once during the holidays....plenty of restaurants/shops/businesses, no info on housing around the area.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:27 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,837,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazd View Post
Thank you so much, I will look into it. I have seen mixed feelings regarding the safety of Plano. Do you have any insight on that?
A couple of years ago Forbes named Plano America's safest city.
Plano, Texas, tops list of America's safest cities - Business - Forbes.com | NBC News

Old 01-10-2014, 09:37 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,837,895 times
First, where will your husband be working? In Plano, Frisco, McKinney or somewhere else? The Dallas area is HUGE and commutes can be bad, so that can affect where you look for a place to live. If you are buying now, plan to still be there when your child starts school? Schools can factor into this also.

Downtown McKinney is in the middle of a historic district and has mostly single family housing. I can't think of a walkable grocery.

Frisco Square is very new and I think that there are apartments, but other than those, no real homes in walking distance that I've noticed.

Downtown Plano has apartments and condos. Besides shops and restaurants and bars, there is a DART light rail station and a city park. Not really a grocery store within walking distance, but there is a fresh produce market.

Legacy Town Center in Plano is apartments and condos. LOTS of shops and restaurants and bars and even a movie theater.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:24 AM

Thank you so much ekta82 and DitsyD. I have had a hard time finding housing close to downtown Mckinney too. I saw some townhomes but didn't see any for sale. Are the single family homes in walking distance to the square? Also, does anyone know anything about Stonebridge Ranch and Craig Ranch? I see they have restaurants and dining, but I wonder if the homes within walking distance to them are way out of my price range!

My husband will work from home some, and will commute around Texas. He doesn't have one place he has to commute to, he travels to different places and so as long as we are in the dallas area it is not a problem. We do not believe we will be there once our child starts school. If we are, we won't be there for long after she starts. Of course we know how important a good school district is for re sale

I was unable to find townhomes in legacy village. Just apartments, which had terrible reviews. We would prefer not to live in an apartment at this point.

It really doesn't matter where we live as long as it is in the Dallas Fort Worth area. Are there any areas anyone can suggest other than where I mentioned? We are open to suggestions. Thank you all for your time

Old 01-10-2014, 10:52 AM

777 posts, read 1,206,178 times
Hey there!

Shops at Legacy (75024) development does have nice, high-end townhomes. Unfortunately, the ones I've seen on the market tend to start in the 300's. The rest of the development consists of various apartments in terms of the residential component.

Stonebridge Ranch & Craig Ranch are master-planned developments on the west side of McKinney, TX. McKinney is the county seat of Collin County and is consistently rated as one of the best places in America to live. I have a co-worker who actually relocated there blindly from Chicago solely based on this ranking.

Stonebridge ranch is award-winning and is comprised of villages in various price rages. It is the older of the two developments and is primarily single family homes, although there are a few townhome communities and apartment complexes within the boundaries.

Stonebridge is considered more stable as an established development that is almost at build-out. In contrast, Craig Ranch has been plagued with numerous issues since it's inception, certain developers pulled out, etc. I'd just really do you research on Craig Ranch. There are other forums on concerns related to it on this website.

While Shops at Legacy offers numerous restaurants in the development you can walk to, Stonebridge & Craig Ranch are more typical suburban developments. You will be DRIVING to shops and restaurants in various strip shopping centers, but there ARE countless dining options within driving distance to both these areas. Just search McKinney zip code 75070.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:08 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,555,691 times
McKinney easily has the best square of these places IMO. All are extremely safe. Walking distance to any of them is unlikely, but there are historic homes within walking distance.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:08 AM

Thank you CMC_TX, that was really helpful. We may be able to do low $300s but I would have to love, love, love the location. I suppose that's something we can't decide until we get out there.

It seems to live in an area within walking distance of restaurants etc, it will be in the lowest starting at $300s like you said. I saw there were some townhomes built close to McKinney square. Do you know anything about those? I have read a lot of great things about Mckinney and understand your coworker relocating blindly. Within my searches I keep going back to Mckinney. I would love to live within walking distance of the Mckinney square and are having difficulties seeing if there are any homes around there. I appreciate all your feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas