Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Walking distance to basic necessities
5-10 minutes 30 57.69%
10-20 minutes 13 25.00%
30 minutes + 9 17.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 08:36 AM

794 posts, read 1,670,576 times

Advertisements

How many of you live within pleasantly walkable distance from a grocery store, pharmacy, pizza shop, ice cream parlour, general physican's office, restaurant, hair salon, bakery, ATM and basic necessities like these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 09:03 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
If you can't theoretically walk to your grocery store and you live in a metro area, then you live in what the USDA calls a 'food desert'.

Food desert:
Food deserts are defined as parts of the country vapid of fresh fruit, vegetables, and other healthful whole foods, usually found in impoverished areas. This is largely due to a lack of grocery stores, farmers’ markets, and healthy food providers.
This has become a big problem because while food deserts are often short on whole food providers, especially fresh fruits and vegetables, instead, they are heavy on local quickie marts that provide a wealth of processed, sugar, and fat laden foods that are known contributors to our nation’s obesity epidemic.

USDA Defines Food Deserts | American Nutrition Association
The USDA defines what's considered a food desert and which areas will be helped by this initiative: To qualify as a “low-access community,” at least 500 people and/or at least 33 percent of the census tract's population must reside more than one mile from a supermarket or large grocery store (for rural census tracts, the distance is more than 10 miles).

I live in central plano, and the answer is yes. I can walk to all that except for Dr office, but I get my haircut farther away by choice. Bad juju on my part, not supporting my local haircutter.

Here's a chart where you can check your area: Chose the 2nd set of components to check access, without any consideration of income.
http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/food-access-research-atlas/go-to-the-atlas.aspx#.Umk72XCkqpc

Last edited by TheOverdog; 10-24-2013 at 09:29 AM..

Old 10-24-2013, 09:16 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,982,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
How many of you live within pleasantly walkable distance from a grocery store, pharmacy, pizza shop, ice cream parlour, general physican's office, restaurant, hair salon, bakery, ATM and basic necessities like these?
We can pleasantly walk to all of these.
Not that we do though

Old 10-24-2013, 09:21 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,338 times
Quote:
Me.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:39 AM

504 posts, read 801,030 times
Quote:
What is your definition of "pleasantly walkable distance"? For me I can walk to several of these places within a 2 mile radius and I think most people in the metroplex can as well ( I live in Frisco). Not that we do it though.....

Old 10-24-2013, 09:42 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Who wants to walk to the grocery store and then carry all the groceries home? Even if I lived 1 block from the store, I would still drive.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:51 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Who wants to walk to the grocery store and then carry all the groceries home? Even if I lived 1 block from the store, I would still drive.
I agree but if its nice as it is today and I only needed something small and light, I would and could. Trader Joe's is about half a mile away and Walmart Neighborhood stores is one quarter mile away each in difference shopping areas with other things such as those listed. I am in W. Plano and thought both are across busy Preston, both are accessible by foot Market street is about the same distance as Trader Joe's and does not require crossing Preston.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:00 AM

I am not talking about hauling heavy grocery every week ( though you can with a wheeled personal shopping bag like people in European cities do), I'm talking about ability to walk to the store to get a bread or eggs or ice cream, etc. By pleasant walk, I meant short 5-10. minute stroll to get a hair cut or pick up Cough medicine and such. I know we have a car centered culture here but most people like to walk for little errands some times and it feels nice to burn some calories while doing it. It suits a healthy living style.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:12 AM

Its convenient for teenagers, guests and grandparents as well if they don't have their own car or want to enjoy the neighborhood and get pack of gum, pizza, manicure, prescription, church visit, some socialization etc.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:15 AM

287 posts, read 517,275 times
I live in Plano and am getting a double pannier for my bike so that I can ride to the grocery store a few times a week as well as pick up the kids from school and carry their backpacks while they walk home. What frustrates me about Plano, however, is that the town touts itself to be a very walkable city yet you take your life in your hands when you have to cross the six lane roads that are all over the place...especially when there is a person wanting to make a turn and you are in the crosswalk. Only 1/3 of them have the patience to wait. I can therefore not let my kids bike to school until they are teens. We live about 1/2 mile from our school and it aggravates me to no end. Only walking under electric lines makes this town truly walkable. That said, we are surrounded by all the amenities we need and I can walk or bike to all of them, though at the risk of bodily harm. I'll get off my soapbox now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: