Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 11:00 AM

26 posts, read 30,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Um, first off, don't be wearing jewelry like THAT out to the store or the mall!!!!!!
Sad thing is I remember a time, not even that long ago when you could wear jewelry like that around town and not fear for your life.

I also remember when you could leave things in your car and not risk having the window busted open. Last night on the news there was a report stating that there is a rising number of people breaking into cars to steal things like Ipods, chargers, adaptors, and other misc. things.

Apparently Grapevine Mills Mall is the current "hot spot" for car break ins. Personally I have had the window on my car broken twice: Once in Downtown Dallas and the other time in Plano. The first time they stole a bag I had sitting in my back seat. The second time nothing was stolen...they just wanted to see if there was anything worth stealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 02:57 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I was nervous about my BF bringing the Glock into the house; he put a round in the chamber and dropped it on the floor about a dozen times before I believed him that it wouldn't go off.
dropping a gun with a trigger safety won't cause it to discharge. It's when people are stupid and put their fingers near the trigger withit paying attention that it will go bang.....

Old 11-30-2007, 03:01 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
All really good advice. But also stay realistic about the chances of becoming a victim. Chances are one of the other 6 million people living here will be a victim instead of you.

Let's not go all paranoid as if DFW of 2007/8 is like Manhattan Island of 1997 in "Escape From New York".
There's a difference between being vigilent and paranoid. Of course you should not be paranoid. A the same time, you should not pretend that crime doesn't happen here. Sure chances are someone else is gonna get robbed,mugged, raped, or whatever. But if you are that person those odds won't be so comforting. Why take a chance when you can take some basic steps to help prevent it?

Old 11-30-2007, 03:50 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
Even if she is, I am sure the insurance will assign a well experienced claims investigator for such an expensive ring. Good luck with that!
Yep, no kidding!

Old 11-30-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrails View Post
Sad thing is I remember a time, not even that long ago when you could wear jewelry like that around town and not fear for your life.

I also remember when you could leave things in your car and not risk having the window busted open. Last night on the news there was a report stating that there is a rising number of people breaking into cars to steal things like Ipods, chargers, adaptors, and other misc. things.

Apparently Grapevine Mills Mall is the current "hot spot" for car break ins. Personally I have had the window on my car broken twice: Once in Downtown Dallas and the other time in Plano. The first time they stole a bag I had sitting in my back seat. The second time nothing was stolen...they just wanted to see if there was anything worth stealing.
Uh...when was that? I can't remember a time in my lifetime when you could EVER leave valuables in plain sight in your car and people thought it was a good idea.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Uh...when was that? I can't remember a time in my lifetime when you could EVER leave valuables in plain sight in your car and people thought it was a good idea.
As for people's opinions I don't know but I do remember for a fact growing up as a kid and even up to say 7 years ago one could leave things in their cars and not worry so much about it. Of course that depended on the area and neighborhood in question.

These days leaving a bag in your car at a previously "safe" area like Grapevine Mills is a risk. Same goes for previous safe places like Plano, Frisco, North Dallas, the Mid-Cities, Grapevine, etc...

I remember as a kid we lived in Euless in this house that sat atop a large hill. I had this nice bike that I always left at the bottom of the hill instead of taking it to the top and back down all the time. It would sit there overnight, while I was at school and it was never stolen. On the contrary, a couple of my much younger cousins had both their bicycles stole from the front of their Plano home in broad daylight while everybody was inside!

Old 11-30-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrails View Post
As for people's opinions I don't know but I do remember for a fact growing up as a kid and even up to say 7 years ago one could leave things in their cars and not worry so much about it. Of course that depended on the area and neighborhood in question.

These days leaving a bag in your car at a previously "safe" area like Grapevine Mills is a risk. Same goes for previous safe places like Plano, Frisco, North Dallas, the Mid-Cities, Grapevine, etc...

I remember as a kid we lived in Euless in this house that sat atop a large hill. I had this nice bike that I always left at the bottom of the hill instead of taking it to the top and back down all the time. It would sit there overnight, while I was at school and it was never stolen. On the contrary, a couple of my much younger cousins had both their bicycles stole from the front of their Plano home in broad daylight while everybody was inside!
I grew up in north Dallas within walking distance of where that Whole Foods now stands...started kindergarten in 1980. I can't remember a time when it was ever safe to leave valuables in plain sight in your car. Robbery has been a fact of life in that part of Dallas all my life. It's no South Oak Cliff, but let's not romanticize it either.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:33 PM

Well I can't speak for Dallas since I grew up in the Mid-Cities. I moved to Plano my Senior year of High School and have lived on the Dallas side of town since. So maybe Dallas has always been relatively unsafe which is not actually a suprise. My personal memories of growing up where I did was one of a safer place.

Although our house was broken into in the middle of the night when I was 7 as we all slept That was the only instance of crime I experienced until I moved to Plano. Now I live in Addison and many places I know aren't safe...especially along the Midway/Frankford/Timberglen area. That is the "shady" part of Addison/North Dallas.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:51 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
Check out this site and put your zipcode and a radius of the info you want and you will get daily emails about latest crimes in that area It's been pretty accurate and up to date so far.

CrimeWeb.net - Home

Old 12-01-2007, 03:02 PM

875 posts, read 1,093,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
Check out this site and put your zipcode and a radius of the info you want and you will get daily emails about latest crimes in that area It's been pretty accurate and up to date so far.

CrimeWeb.net - Home
I just tried to register there. Their security certificate has been revoked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas