Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 04:40 PM

11 posts, read 16,482 times

Advertisements

Well after researching, and researching, and more, I've finally said by August I'm moving to Dallas (or Houston, but prefer Dallas), if I can't land Anything in Los Angeles. It's ridiculous. A BA in Communications-Public Relations, manager experience, solid work history, and still nada, just my lot attendant position at a studio that pays $11 a hour. Anyway, need a new start, and this is it.

After scouring this thread, and looking at all the stickies (photos, things to do), I really like this place, and wish to move. I know job is first, but I will be in Dallas for DPD testing in April. So my question is, my background is Marketing/Communications, I check indeed all day and fire off apps everyday, what are the conditions for that field? Is it slow, is it in a uptick/trending?

What is DPD like from the general public (you guys)?

What is the outlook for financial sector employment? I ask because my fiance has a BA in Business Finance, and she too can't find work in Los Angeles. We are both recently BA grads (2012). Internship requires experience out here.....I know....

As a Ethiopian couple, honestly we did have reservations of Dallas (or Texas), because out here we hear it as racist, redneck, cowboy safe haven. But as I researched into Dallas, there is black police chief, city council members are black, Latino, women, white, etc. So I don't have those reservations at all, unless there is an unspoken rule that I am not aware of.

Are housing prices really this cheap for nice homes?? I'm floored; we accepted we would never own a home in So Cal because of price. And I check Zillow every weekend, and am amazed at some homes in Plano, Richardson etc.

Honestly, I would love to move and just need some ideas, pointers, suggestions from you guys on how to navigate.

I'm not a Texan, but trying to become one fast.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 07:12 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
Regarding being Ethiopian, that shouldn't be an issue. While there's no visible Little Ethiopia like in Los Angeles, there is a sizable community here, as well as other immigrants from Africa. And we have a lot of Ethiopian restaurants here: How Dallas Got So Many Ethiopian Restaurants - D Magazine

Dallas isn't very cowboy at all, contrary to popular opinion (outside of Texas). DFW is a modern metropolitan area of nearly 7 million people. Most of the cowboy stuff is either on the Fort Worth side of the Metroplex or in some of the burbs like Mesquite (both Fort Worth and Mesquite have big rodeos). And the city and county of Dallas is politically blue (though perhaps a lighter shade of blue that much of California). Fort Worth and all the burbs, though, are definitely red.

As for your profession, communications/PR/marketing is very competitive no matter what the city so I'm guessing it wouldn't necessarily be easy to find a job. But with the economy doing pretty well here, it's probably better to be looking here than elsewhere. But I'd advise trying to get the job first before packing up and moving.

And I assume by DPD, you're referring to the Dallas Police Department? I hope you plan to spend an extra couple of days here in April exploring the area. It sprawls a lot (like LA) and can be hard to get a handle on in a short amount of time.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:37 PM

Wow, I read that D Magazine article and was surprised at the Ethiopian community there.

I have been applying through governmentjobs.com, to just get something to bring me out there. Not just PR, but anything I have experience in (retail, E-Commerce, shipping,). Would I need to have a Dallas address to be considered?

I appreciate the replies.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:15 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
Having a local address is generally always preferable as far as employers are concerned.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:18 PM

974 posts, read 2,186,138 times
You may fare better looking at the ad agency biz and get a foot in the door at a lower-entry gig. Networking in the PR/Mktg - Mass Comm biz is how you really find the jobs from what I've seen.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:11 PM

Yeah, finding those lower entry companies, are a mission in the Dallas area. I keep getting At Home Import Export positions that are a farce.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:06 PM

45 posts, read 70,740 times
I keep hearing that the job market here is better than the rest of the country, but then I personally know some who are struggling to find jobs, so I think it varies quite a bit based on your field and qualifications. There is a massive State Farm office being built in Richardson and Nebraska Furniture Mart opens in The Colony next year, but has already begun to hire. Conifer in Frisco plans to hire several hundred people in the next year or 2, they're a medical billing company. The mortage industry is also a strong field for your wife to consider. Those might be some places to look. I always liked indeed.com for job searches. I found far fewer junk postings there. It's sort of a search engine for job postings.

Compared to LA, housing is much more affordable! Prices have gone up here, but you can still find a good quality home under $200,000 in the suburbs. You just may need to go a bit further out than you would have last year.

Best of luck to you! That is a huge transition! I have family in LA, so I know the weather will be a change, and there's no beaches. But Dallas has a lot to offer. Definitely more of a cultural city than cowboys, though our Dallas Cowboys football team is in the hearts of most.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:25 AM

Thanks so much for the advice. Ill look into those places, and see if they are hiring. Also, will pass the note to her about the mortgage industry.

Yeah, the weather will be missed, but not the quality of life (my life). And I'm a Broncos fan, so I don't think ill get in the way, versus a Giants or Eagles fan. But would love to check out Jerry World.

Just checking apartments and 980 for 822 square feet, 1br in Farmers Branch. It looks nice. Is that worth it? Is it a good area to live (less crime)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas