Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 11:58 PM

33 posts, read 50,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWalkAlone View Post
Hello,

Is Dallas a pretty good place to live? In regards to;

The People

The Economy

The COL

The Commute

The Weather

The Food

The Women

The list isn't ordered in terms of importance, but I was trying to get a feel for what Dallas would be like and what are some of the differences and/or culture shocks a native Californian would experience? Thanks!
Been in Dallas three years. Originally from the midwest, but I've lived in the Pac NW, too. My thoughts:

The People: There is a lot of uniformity here. While there is certainly a good amount of "diversity" here in terms of ages, races, etc., everyone seems to have conformed to the American/Dallas way of life. Some ethnicities have cliques to observe some cultural pastimes, but there's not a chance to really experience different cultures here. Also, please note that Dallas is very "red". There is not a lot of diversity of thought.

The Economy: Economy and job market are great for a lot of professions. (Me, not so much...) If you are an engineer or computer science person, you'll find something great in no time.

The COL: Well, I'd guess just about anywhere is better than California. Homes are very affordable, especially in the suburbs like McKinney, Allen and Richardson. Plano is a bit pricey. I live in Addison and it's probably in between. Some areas of Dallas (the ones with the best schools, etc.) are also pricey.

The Commute: Totally depends. From Allen or McKinney, Plano wouldn't be bad. Dallas can be a drag, but a lot of younger families make the commute from those areas. Addison, where I live, is pretty convenient to both areas. I can get just about anyplace I want to go in Plano or Dallas within 30 minutes.

The Weather: I love heat and sunshine, so I think it is awesome most of the time. We're having a pretty cold bummer winter right now, but it hasn't gotten colder than the teens. Coming from the Midwest, I can't really complain. You will get months long-stretches of heat and sunshine in the spring/summer/fall, though. It rains here occassionally, but not much. Water is definitely an issue here and there are often watering restrictions in the summer. When it does rain, it's often just for a few hours and pretty steady - not the all-day/week misting you get by the Pacific. However, it's not the 30-minute downpour you get twice a day in the tropical climates like Florida, either. (where I have also lived)

The Food: Pretty much any kind of food you want is here. You'll see a higher percentage of tex-mex vs. asian like you may be used to, but pretty much everything is here. Not a lot of locally grown produce during most of the year...it comes from California.

The Women: I'm not really into the dating scene and am female, but there are a lot of clubs and options.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 12:02 AM

33 posts, read 50,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Your reading comprehension skills are amazing......

Yes, Dallas gets more total inches of rain, but Seattle gets rain about twice as often as Dallas. Those two things are VERY, VERY different. Seattle is a wetter climate. Period.

I really don't know any other way to explain it.......
Dallas gets real rain periodically throughout the year. Seattle gets misty wetness 50 weeks out of the year. I've lived in both places - that's how I'd describe it.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:30 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,107,768 times
Quote:
I'm just reading information of off creditable weather websites..You guys are comparing Dallas to places like Los Angeles and San Diego, and I can't find any evidence to support those claims. But if you guys know better than the science that creates these statistics I'm reading, then more power to you.
I never compared Dallas to LA or SD. The climate here is also nothing...NOTHING...like the PNW. At all.

As others have said, there's a difference between constant cloudiness/mist/gentle rain and the alternating brutal drought/torrential downpours that you find here. Big difference.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:05 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,437,020 times
And this is why some people have issues with California's the move here.....We're just trying to help you out and give you locals information. Isn't that what this board is for? It's like someone that looks at 90s and Houston and think, "Oh that's not too bad" until they realize that it's 99.9% humidity. Dallas is not a "wet" place. Yes we get more rainfall but it come in enormous quick downpours, where as in Seattle & Portland rain will last all day or multiple days in a row.

YOU stated you like grey places. Dallas is not grey by any stretch of the imagination. We have drought issues that only allow people to water lawns at certain times of the day and sometimes only once per week. But you know, don't listen to people that live here, believe what you want!

BLESS YOUR HEART!

Last edited by bencronin04; 01-29-2014 at 08:21 AM..

Old 01-29-2014, 09:12 AM

1,156 posts, read 979,522 times
Quote:
I'm just reading information of off creditable weather websites..You guys are comparing Dallas to places like Los Angeles and San Diego, and I can't find any evidence to support those claims. But if you guys know better than the science that creates these statistics I'm reading, then more power to you.
All I can say is listen to what the people are telling you. Before we moved here, I looked at the average monthly temperatures, and it doesn't do much good when it says the 30 year average is 57 high and 37 low. Without really understanding that it can be 73 on Sunday and then not above a high of 35 the last two days, that's how those averages are calculated. One may look at a 57 average high and think it's not that bad. Since you are from Ca, you may not like these wide fluctuations.

And if you like dark and cloudy, it is just not like that here, especially in the summer. You don't have the marine layer that you have until noon on many days in coastal Ca. It can be 75 degrees at 7 am in the summer, maybe hotter. I just don't pay attention to the weather as much in the summer as I don't mind it being hot. Just expect that it will never be below 75 in the summer.

Also, a 95-100 degree day does not feel that hot with low humidity here, whereas an 85 degree day on the coast with more humidity can feel worse.

People are just trying to help you understand what it is like here, and you can use this advice as another data point rather than relying on "science".

Old 01-29-2014, 09:13 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,093,868 times
I love living here.
It has everything I want except the beach.

*shrug*

Old 01-29-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I love living here.
It has everything I want except the beach.

*shrug*
And hills/mountians

Old 01-29-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
And hills/mountians
I don't want hills and mountains.

I said everything *I* want.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't want hills and mountains.

I said everything *I* want.
Yes you do, you just don't know it yet.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Yes you do, you just don't know it yet.
Lol...I lived in California for 4 years (in "the hills")...I also lived on a volcanic island for 9 years.

I think I have an idea of what's important to me in terms of scenery.

I'm not a mountain girl. I am a shore girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas