Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 08:21 AM

26 posts, read 63,543 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are seriously considering relocating from Atlanta to Dallas by the end of this year when our lease is up. There are multiple reasons why, but I would like to think Dallas culture is going to be different from Atlanta's.
I have a friend in the north Dallas area (Denton/Aubrey) that is from my same hometown and has lived in TX for 5 years and says she really likes it. She was able to give me a little bit of a clue about her area and what it's like there - but she's been such a workahaulic she hasn't done much exploring, she couldn't tell me anything about Dallas itself.
I'm going out there to visit her and check it all out for 6 days or so October. I would love any recommendations on what areas to see, and how to get a good feeling about what it's like to live in the Denton area (also looked at Irving and see it's more expensive, but may be worth it), and getting to know more about the city of Dallas. I also have a friend in the Ft. Worth area that I will be having lunch with, but I'm more inclined to live within a 20-30 minute drive or so from Aubrey.
We have no kids, no pets, and we are in our early 30s. We love to go out and have nice to places to walk, cafes to relax in, diversity (with food especially), beautiful scenery (parks, etc), and just things to do whether it's day or night. We are not big clubbers, although we do enjoy an occasional night out to dance at a latin club with some good salsa, merengue and bachata, a relaxing lounge to have some martinis, or a fun restaurant for yummy margaritas. We do plan on exploring Dallas when the urge hits us some weekends. I work in accounting/billing and I love my 9-5 office hours, so I would be looking for a job like that near Denton (I really do not want to drive into Dallas everyday), and we also have our own business (not brick and mortar) that requires us to be within a reasonable distance from our customers that are generally middle class and up. And we are renters! Thanks in advance for your suggetions, thoughts, and advice!

Last edited by bear2531; 09-24-2012 at 08:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 08:26 AM

11,857 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Just so you know: Aubrey is quite rural. It's mostly known for big, fancy horse farms, although there are more houses being built lately, thanks to DFW's urban sprawl. Even driving to Denton is a fair drive. Remember: DFW area is larger than the state of Rhode Island!

Most of the dance clubs you're interested in are in more of the metro areas of Dallas. When you need specifics, PM me. I have a friend who is also very into that type of dance.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:21 AM

Thanks - I will probably be asking you before I go there to visit Yes, she's actually one with a farm, and I am planning on taking lessons, which is why I didn't want to be too far from that area.
I've read around and a lot of people that are relocating talk about their concerns like schools for their children and home-buying. Being renters we have more room for trial and error, but we are also definitely also moving for our social life - which is why we don't want to go TOO far out in the country :/ We are not huge social butterflies, but when the urge hits us I don't want it to be too inconvenient.
I am just trying to make sure this visit is an effective one so we get a good feel for it.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:41 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear2531 View Post
Thanks - I will probably be asking you before I go there to visit Yes, she's actually one with a farm, and I am planning on taking lessons, which is why I didn't want to be too far from that area.
I've read around and a lot of people that are relocating talk about their concerns like schools for their children and home-buying. Being renters we have more room for trial and error, but we are also definitely also moving for our social life - which is why we don't want to go TOO far out in the country :/ We are not huge social butterflies, but when the urge hits us I don't want it to be too inconvenient.
I am just trying to make sure this visit is an effective one so we get a good feel for it.
Hmmm... I am not sure that Denton or Frisco would be a good fit. Like the other poster said, Aubrey is pretty rural and not an entertainment mecca. Denton is changing, but is still very much a college town. Even at 30, you might be a little older than the main demographic for the clubs, etc. I have heard that Denton has a pretty lively local music scene if that interests you. Frisco is suburban-central. Not to be too stereotypical, but think soccer moms driving around in their SUVs. I know there is more to it than that, but it is a very family-oriented community.

Either way, come on down and check it out. Depending on how often you would go to your friend's ranch, you might not want to be as close to her as you would be to more things you would enjoy the rest of the time.

Good luck.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:10 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
I agree with jennifw...from the way you describe yourselves, you don't sound like you'd enjoy living in Denton or Frisco very much. I would recommend checking out some suburbs closer to Dallas like Plano or Richardson or the Las Colinas area of Irving...maybe even Addison, though if you don't like noise and traffic on Friday and Saturday nights that may not be the best fit.

You should probably also check out The Village in Dallas itself. I don't know a single person who lives there/lived there in the past who didn't enjoy the experience.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:35 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Aubrey is the boonies. Nothing there to speak of, a blip I pass to get to Denton.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:55 AM

Wow - thanks so much for the info! I am writing all this down....
Curious .... what are some routes that go "opposite of traffic" during rush hours?
I know here in Atlanta, you go north on 85 in the morning.....

Old 09-25-2012, 09:03 AM

BTW - that is so sad!!! I would be the old person in the club in Denton at 30....
Of course...I do remember the time I thought 30 was old

Old 09-25-2012, 10:15 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
Agree with 90% of previous posters. Frisco is nice, there's stuff to do, but is very much more family oriented. It's nice if you don't mind driving down when you want to go out for more than cafe's or "club's". Frisco makes the trip to Dallas about 35 min., and to Aubrey about 25 min. In Carrollton it's about 35 min both ways and about 45 min to Ft. Worth(1-hr. from Frisco). Both have a lot to offer, and are an equal part distance to the points you've mentioned.

Good luck and hope your trip down is successful.

And welcome to Texas!

Old 09-25-2012, 11:06 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear2531 View Post
Wow - thanks so much for the info! I am writing all this down....
Curious .... what are some routes that go "opposite of traffic" during rush hours?
I know here in Atlanta, you go north on 85 in the morning.....
Traffic is flowing into the main business centers (downtown Dallas, Irving/Las Colinas, and downtown Ft Worth) during rush hour. To avoid the worst traffic, these are general guidelines:
-If job is anywhere north/ northwest of downtown Dallas, live south of your job and commute north (against everyone driving south into town).
-If job is anywhere south of downtown Dallas, live north and commute south against everyone going south. You will be in heavy traffic until you cross downtown (ie, live in North Dallas and job in Cedar Hill --> expect heavy traffic until pass through downtown and then 35 will open up).

If you are looking to live & work way out north in the Denton area, there will be much less traffic to contend with. The only real nightmare is the 35 bridge crossing the lake. That thing is always jammed. So you would want to work and live north of the lake or work and live south of the lake - anything to avoid needin that bridge!!!

Also, agree with previous posters that the lifestyle you describe wanting (places to walk to, beautiful scenery, diverse entertainment, needing to live near middle class & up customers for your business) does NOT jive with the Denton and Aubrey locations you are considering. It sounds like you would be happier living in either central Dallas or central Fort Worth or one of the more interesting suburbs like Grapevine (cute little downtown, various festivals throughout the year like GrapeFest, affordable housing, near Lake Grapevine, etc).

My in-laws grew up in & around Denton. Aubrey is basically a white trash town, unless you live on major land and ranch. Denton is mixed- definitely a big college town. Most parts of Denton are not very nice and neither are the public schools. It lacks retail and dining options compared to many other parts of the metroplex. It does have a good live music scene but it is more college band focused. Lots of drug use all over that county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas