Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2007, 09:44 AM

12 posts, read 66,357 times

Advertisements

I have lived in DFW for 3 years now. My wife just took a promotion that makes her commute from SW Fort Worth to Las Colinas and DFW airport during rush hour. I am an at-home Dad and we live off one income. Commuting has never been an issue before b/c my wife has always been a "field" worker that let her set her own schedule/agenda for traveling all aound N TX, but now she has to be in Las Colinas between 8-8:30, and works until 6 nightly. The commute to and from work is always a minimum of 1 hour, and often has lasted 90 minutes! She spends about 10-12 nights a month out of town, so her precious little time with the family is SO important. I really want her to not spend 3 hours a day in the car missing out on a toddler's antics.
Even though I've been in DFW for 3 years we have always lived "on the fringe" of the metro area. We know very little about Dallas or any area north of 635 and east of DFW airport. We are very comfotable with Fort Worth, but that is just not working for our family.
Here's what we need:
Great public schools
2500 sq ft (at least 2250 +)
pool
easy commute to DFW and Las Colinas (under 40 mins in rush hour)
not cookie cutterville
max price $275k
Areas we have considered:
Las Colinas/Valley Ranch (obviously)
Grapevine- not much in my price range for what I need
Flower Mound/Highland Village- 2499 & 35E south into Irving are a nightmare
Trophy Club- liked the area and homes, how's the commute?

As you can see we have really only looked west of Irving, because we know very little about the east. I do admire Plano and Richardson, but my wife is concerned with the commute. We love our home now and we only want to leave if we can cut her commute to less than 45 minutes to 114/MacArthur/Bush Tpike.
We have no problem with an older home.
I like what I have read about the following ISDs: Coppell, Northwest, Plano, Richardson
Help... any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 10:25 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDadof1 View Post
Here's what we need:
Great public schools
2500 sq ft (at least 2250 +)
pool
easy commute to DFW and Las Colinas (under 40 mins in rush hour)
not cookie cutterville
max price $275k
Areas we have considered:
Las Colinas/Valley Ranch (obviously)
Grapevine- not much in my price range for what I need
Flower Mound/Highland Village- 2499 & 35E south into Irving are a nightmare
Trophy Club- liked the area and homes, how's the commute?
This would be my choice, in order of preference based on shortest commute, all great areas w/excellent schools:

1. Valley Ranch - zip 75063, both Carrollton ISD and Coppell ISD (6 mile commute)
2. Coppell (8 mile commute)
3. Southlake (12 mile commute)
4. Trophy Club (18 mile commute)

I would not go any farther east because of heavy commuter traffic.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:48 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
It seems to me that it's really bad further west..

Everytime I go to DFW I see what appears to be thousands of people stuck in traffic on the other side of the airport.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:34 AM

695 posts, read 1,447,116 times
I work in Las Colinas, and live in Carrollton. My commute is 20 minutes/12 miles after I drop my son at school. I don't even have to take the highways!

Old 11-30-2007, 12:02 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
It seems to me that it's really bad further west..

Everytime I go to DFW I see what appears to be thousands of people stuck in traffic on the other side of the airport.
Probably so; it's just bad either way, because if you're working in Las Colinas, you're going in the same direction as most of the commuter traffic mornings and evenings whether you live east or west. In the a.m. the traffic is heaviest on 114 & I635 going east and vice-versa in the evenings; on 190, it's the opposite, heavy traffic going west in a.m. But, since I live in this area, I'm going against traffic wherever I go.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:43 PM

709 posts, read 3,472,546 times
I work on the fringe of Lewisville and Carrollton...and work in Valley Ranch...it only takes me 15 minutes on a good day and 25 with traffic. The area around Coppell off of MacArthur might offer you what you want in the way of homes and travel for your wife. Some of Valley Ranch is nice however I tend to think it is little more cookie cutter like...unless you look at the houses between near Red River on the west side of MacArthur. Older homes but established and some beautiful trees.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:24 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
Hi TXdad,

Trophy Club is a great place to raise a family. It has a masterplanned community, the commute is not bad in the morning but it can get pretty congested on 114 going westbound. The schools are good too. Unfortunately, there is only one home on the market right now that fits your criteria.

Forget Southlake... nothing in this price range. Grapevine has only 3 houses too.

Keller is a great area and has several homes available. The commute wouldn't be too bad as 35W, 113, 377, 121 and 820 are close by to get To Last Colilas about 25 minutes.. and about 30 to SW Fort Worth. The schools are really good in Keller too. 9 exemplary, 19 recognized and 8 acceptable.

Roanoke is just a little north of there and just west of Trophy Club and feeds into NW ISD has a few homes on the market too that match your criteria.

What about the HEB area? Bedford has a few homes available too but as you may know are older. 2 elementary schools are rated exemplary, 18 schools, recognized and 7 acceptable. Easy to get on 121 from 183 to go downtown FTW or to Las Colinas...

Old 12-01-2007, 09:51 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,854,435 times
There is a reason that so few houses are for sale in Grapevine. It is a wonderful place to live with an excellent school system and a small-town type of community with an excellent location. If you can find a house in your price range in Grapevine, I would urge you to jump on it. You won't be disappointed!

Old 12-02-2007, 09:50 PM

47 posts, read 156,319 times
I am very high on Grapevine also. It is a great commute to Las Colinas and very very good schools. I have sold a number of homes in Grapevine ...it has some of the lowest proprerty taxes around thanks to revenues from DFW and The Texan, the Grapevine Mills mall. Flower ;Mound is fine but much further. For her commute this is the best deal hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas