Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 04:14 PM

19 posts, read 45,457 times

Advertisements

Netfrog - thanks. We did stop at Richardson Bike Mart (awesome place) and picked one guy's brain about routes, etc. We noticed the "cyclists can use full lane" signs on Renner and did see a couple cyclists doing so. I guess it seems a bit crazy to us that drivers would understand and abide by this. Without having lived there, it feels like you might be able to have better quality cycling out your back door if you lived further east (Murphy/Wylie) especially if you're riding 1.5-2 hours every morning. While you like the riding in Richardson, would you agree with that statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 04:29 PM

73 posts, read 182,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathonmom View Post
Netfrog - thanks. We did stop at Richardson Bike Mart (awesome place) and picked one guy's brain about routes, etc. We noticed the "cyclists can use full lane" signs on Renner and did see a couple cyclists doing so. I guess it seems a bit crazy to us that drivers would understand and abide by this. Without having lived there, it feels like you might be able to have better quality cycling out your back door if you lived further east (Murphy/Wylie) especially if you're riding 1.5-2 hours every morning. While you like the riding in Richardson, would you agree with that statement?
The vistas out that way are certainly prettier, for sure. The only issue I've had out there is that many of the roads are still two-lane, and the giant extended-cab pickup trucks and SUVs that make up a lot of rural traffic often struggle to coexist with cyclists. I wouldn't say it's overly dangerous, but there have been a few incidents of cyclists getting hit by trucks that either weren't watching or tried to unsuccessfully pass the cyclist in a narrow lane.

I've had good luck with the cycle lanes in Richardson, mainly because the city was smart enough to put them on roads wide enough to accommodate them but not busy enough for them to cause an issue.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:22 PM

Very interesting and makes a lot of sense. We did notice the two lane situation and trucks as we drove down from St. Paul to Lucas or vice versa (can't remember). Really appreciate your cycling perspective.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:41 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathonmom View Post
Thank you all SO much for the info - this is exactly what I was looking for. Great to hear about Pearce, as well.

Now - to the point about price, yes, we realize that we may not be able get what we want at our price and/or may need to do updating that we can't afford.

Hence - another question, which I'm not sure if I should add to this thread or start a new one (forum newbie here) but here goes - We are also considering Wylie/Woodbridge with Cox Elementary. We really liked that area as well (pretty/creek/woods) but it is a bit further out for my husband working at 75 & PGBT. We would lose the charm/character of Richardson and "gain" master-planned/lack of soul, but the kids might like it.

Another caveat is that my husband is a semi-pro cyclist so long road rides will be in the mix and we wonder if that area might be better traffic-wise (out and around Lake Lavon). But, my main concern is the school and Wylie district in general. Haven't really found much of anything on the forum regarding the Wylie schools. Seems to me that they are not as highly thought of as Plano or Richardson ISD.

Thanks, again, in advance!
Eh...Wylie...I've been there and seen it. I wouldn't, but YMMV. From what I hear, PISD and RISD beat Wylie's schools. I don't even know if Wylie has its own ISD or not, but I never hear anything about their schools (good or bad) so I'm betting they're mediocre in comparison.

As for biking in Richardson, I rarely see cars encroaching on bike lanes. Drivers here seem very used to them.

Here's a map of Richardson's trailways (including bicycle trails):

http://www.cor.net/modules/showdocum...ocumentid=2817

Old 02-05-2014, 06:34 PM

And while test scores aren't everything, with all the unknowns of a move there's a definitely pull to stick with the higher ranked schools. Thanks for that and appreciate the trailway map!

Old 02-09-2014, 09:13 PM

Any thoughts on the Spring Creek, Sherill Park part of Richardson? I see that parts of it feed to Mendenhall Elementary/Plano ISD and others to Yale/Richardson. Mendenhall isn't rated very highly but Yale is. With our 200-3K budget, I'm seeing more availability, a bit newer and more updated, but wonder about any drawbacks to this area - especially compared to the areas we were discussing previously (Canyon Creek, Richardson Heights, etc.). Thanks!

Old 02-09-2014, 09:39 PM

73 posts, read 182,990 times
That's a very nice area, and Yale is an exemplary school (I was a student there years ago, and I have a couple friends with kids there now who love it). Mendenhall is a long slog from the Plano ISD part of that neighborhood (there's not a school that's any closer), and the feeder pattern is among the weakest in PISD in terms of scores.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:25 PM
bu2

24,069 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I'm afraid you have encountered some of the worst species in the suburbs --> those who think anything old (you know, older than 2000) is "ghetto". The irony is that Richardson has long been a well-respected district, but in the last 10ish years, Richardson has really kicked it UP a few notches as young families (including tons of RISD alumni) flood into the district. JJ Pearce HS is a TOP 10 area high school, just like the Plano schools....and ABOVE Allen, fwiw.

Canyon Creek is gorgeous but a bit above your budget, I thought? Regardless, you can definitely find what you're looking for in Richardson and will do perfectly well buying there - for both the neifhborboods & home values and the schools.

Don't let a bunch of condescending mom snobs steer you away from a great thing.
Pearce has been a top 10 area school for decades, almost since its opening in the late 60s. Richardson was clearly the top district in the Dallas area in the 70s and 80s. It just has competition now from the newer suburbs. Pearce won the national academic decathlon 5 times from 1984-1991. Lake Highlands won it in 1990.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:28 PM
bu2

24,069 posts, read 14,859,997 times
And a little bit of trivia, Roger Staubach used to live in Canyon Creek. (for all I know its possible he still lives there-and if you don't know Roger Staubach, you NEED to look that up before you go to Dallas).

Old 02-11-2014, 10:39 AM

Thanks, bu2 for the info on history on the district and trivia! As for Roger Staubach, that's neat, even though I'm a Packer fan (from WI). My son says he wants to buy a Cowboys jersey when we get to Dallas. I am trying to come up with distractions whenever the topic arises!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas