Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 06:19 PM

35 posts, read 106,039 times

Advertisements

All -

Have a general question on property taxes + ISD taxes.

Why is it almost 2.5-3% in various cities in DFW where as it is not more than 1.25% in NJ. (approx).

Note - I'm not trying to start a geographical or political discussion, rather trying to understand.

Thanks for your replies.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 06:32 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,625 times
Texas does not have a state income tax whereas NJ does?

We also have a high sales tax in Dallas - 8.25%, what is it in NJ?

Old 02-05-2014, 07:02 PM

Spree - NJ state sales tax is 7%

Yes, NJ does have a state income tax. But the city wont get it - right?

Thanks

Old 02-05-2014, 07:39 PM

19,776 posts, read 18,060,308 times
New Jersey has the 2nd highest overall tax burden imposed by any state - 12.4% IIRC. Texas is 6th lowest. There's no comparison.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:38 PM

988 posts, read 1,827,620 times
I don't know NJ law in regards to how the income tax might "trickle down" to cities, but in my home state of MN there is what is called "LGA" (Local Government Aid). My understanding is, therotically, taxes are paid to the state and part of that is given to local governments to spend on projects cities could not otherwise afford on purely their own local property taxes. The City of Minneapolis justifies their "take" by saying they are expected to bear the burden of services to visitors of the city that are not property tax paying residents (in other words, a suburbanite takes advantage of Minneapolis police services and city roads without paying Minneapolis property taxes). Some would say it it is effectively a form of redistribution. Also, depending on the political savvy and/or connections in St. Paul (capital of MN) of a particular community, some probably get more than their "fair share". In any case, my guess is something similar happens elsewhere and how state income taxes eventually roll down to cities.

That said, EDS is right on the overall tax question. While Texas property taxes are high along with sales tax (plus, as I have discovered all too well since calling TX home, the toll roads), overall taxes are less of a bite than in NJ or my home state of MN...hence part of the reason I call TX home today.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:12 AM

Hello GBCommenter - thanks for the detailed reply.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:27 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Property taxes IMO are much more equitable. Many people get out of paying Income taxes but everyone pays property taxes.

Even if you lease, it's figured in the amount you pay to your landlord.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:38 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,746,122 times
Property taxes are electively regressive but have an equitable base.

Everyone pays, but some people can choose to pay more.

Texas also protects legacy landowners from speculation by having a farm/open space exemption and then a rollback tax imposed on developers who buy the land for development.

The other nice thing about a property tax only system is that the tax base is the same from year to year. It forces the state to budget better.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:40 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezone View Post
All -

Have a general question on property taxes + ISD taxes.

Why is it almost 2.5-3% in various cities in DFW where as it is not more than 1.25% in NJ. (approx).

Note - I'm not trying to start a geographical or political discussion, rather trying to understand.

Thanks for your replies.

Thanks
How do you spell no state income tax in Texas.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:17 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Property taxes IMO are much more equitable. Many people get out of paying Income taxes but everyone pays property taxes.

Even if you lease, it's figured in the amount you pay to your landlord.
But property taxes are controllable while income taxes are less so. Someone making $100k a year is going to have roughly the same income tax anywhere they live (whether federal taxes or income taxes in different cities of an income tax state). However- that person can decide or buy a $100k house with a $2000ish annual property tax burden or a $300k house with a $6000ish annual tax burden. That's easily $3k back in their pocket (accounting for the loss of $1k in itemized deductions on the additional $4k of property taxes).

I've always said Texas is a dream destination for super high-earners. Take a C-suiter with a $400-500k income living in New York. S/he is currently paying around $45-50k per year in NY state and NYC city income tax. Let's also say s/he lives in Westchester County in an "average" $850k home in a great school district. That home is a
3/2.5 with 2250sf. Pretty typical. Westchester property taxes are also pretty high. If this person relos to DFW and can manage to only slightly upgrade standard of living (ie, not get all goo-goo eyed at a 6,000sf home in Southlake or Starwood), s/he could either buy a comparable home in the Park Cities and save $45-50k in income taxes off the top, not to mention a moderate break on property taxes. Or they could pick Lake a Highlands or Coppell or Richardson - comprable "inner ring" suburbs to Westchester, except with a fraction of the commute- and buy a 3,000 sf-range home for half the cost of the NY home, pocketing another $15-20k per year in savings - both property taxes and mortgage/interest/insurance. Just moving to Dallas has increased this person' take-home pay by approx 25%. Wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas