Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2014, 03:18 PM

7 posts, read 10,233 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of relocating from SLC, UT to Garland. He's been offered a job at Baylor medical center. Is that a good place to raise children (we have two, 3 & 7)? We'd like to keep our costs down since taxes will be higher than what we're currently paying and we want to do a 15 year loan. Are there better suburbs than Garland? Would like cost <$177k. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 07:46 PM

974 posts, read 2,185,493 times
Garland, TX is considered more blue-collar than most communities in the DFW Metro area. Like all areas it has its good and bad points. If the Baylor Med Ctr. is the one on George Bush Turnpike...you can live in the Firewheel area which is considered nice. Of course there's Sachse, Rowlett, Plano, Richardson which is near there, so you have plenty to choose from.

I had a friend relocate to near the Firewheel area and he was looking at Garland. He found some decent areas in Garland but it was more a choice of shopping amenities, etc. for his family.

Here's a link to a thread I started on his behalf not too long ago:
//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...-thoughts.html

Good luck!

Old 02-07-2014, 07:59 PM

149 posts, read 306,897 times
There are several Baylor Medical Centers, so you may want to specify which one. Like BeenThereDunThat said, I'll asume you talking about the Baylor campus off of PGBT. If you want to avoid property taxes, you'll want to steer clear of Garland.

Plano - 2.39% (includes PISD & Collin County)
Murphy - 2.47% (includes PISD & Collin County)
Wylie - 2.85% (includes WISD & Collin County)
Garland - 2.61% (includes GISD & Dallas County)
Richardson - 2.63% (includes RISD & Dallas County)
Rowlett - 2.65% (includes GISD & Dallas County)
Sachse -2.68% (includes GISD & Dallas County)

I'd recommend starting your search in East Plano, which in addition to having the best tax rate, gets the best schools of NE Dallas County & South Collin County. Something under $177,000 should be doable.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:04 PM

149 posts, read 306,897 times
FWIW, I think Garland is underrated by most folks here since it is a blue collar, inner-ring suburb. It's a safe community with everything one could need and a school district that will support your children's efforts if education is a priority (for example Garland HS is under most folks radar despite a great IB program) - you just won't impress anyone when you tell them you're from that part of DFW.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:38 PM

7 posts, read 10,233 times
Thanks for the help! I'll definitely clarify which location it is.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:25 PM

974 posts, read 2,185,493 times
Below is a googlemap link to the Baylor Med. Ctr in Garland. Click and see if this is the one you're talking about.
It's not far from the Firewheel area (to the North East on the map on PGBT / 190)
Some folks have mentioned a preference for areas north of Buckingham but I've been through this area not long ago and found some decent older neighborhoods. The more you go north though, the newer the homes in my observation.

BAYLOR MED CTR / GARLAND:
http://goo.gl/maps/pxPGK

Old 02-08-2014, 06:32 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,746,551 times
We lived north of Beltline near Naaman Forest HS and raised my daughter in GISD schools. We had a good experience. Firewheel would also be a good choice too, along with the Spring Park area near Shiloh and 190. All of those would be a nice commute to Baylor Garland.

There's plenty of shopping and easy access to 190 for anything else you'd need.

Sachse would be a little further commute but they'd be all surface streets so you wouldn't be locked into a certain route. Sachse is GISD also.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:32 PM

786 posts, read 1,223,305 times
The Firewheel area & Club Creek by Eastern Hills CC is nice. However, Garland in general is an older, inner-ring suburb and the demographics and majority of neighborhoods reflect that.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:18 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo81 View Post
There are several Baylor Medical Centers, so you may want to specify which one. Like BeenThereDunThat said, I'll asume you talking about the Baylor campus off of PGBT. If you want to avoid property taxes, you'll want to steer clear of Garland.

Plano - 2.39% (includes PISD & Collin County)
Murphy - 2.47% (includes PISD & Collin County)
Garland - 2.61% (includes GISD & Dallas County)
Richardson - 2.63% (includes RISD & Dallas County)
Rowlett - 2.65% (includes GISD & Dallas County)
Sachse -2.68% (includes GISD & Dallas County)

I'd recommend starting your search in East Plano, which in addition to having the best tax rate, gets the best schools of NE Dallas County & South Collin County. Something under $177,000 should be doable.
Just curious, but how much of a difference are the properties between Garland and Murphy (the second lowest you listed) on a 177k house? (.2%) is that around $400.00 per year difference? Hardly a reason to avoid a city to avoid property taxes. Heck, you might use that up in gas commuting to another city trying to avoid those property taxes.

Now, I don't like the schools or really even the area, but the property tax difference is hardly a reason to avoid it.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:17 PM

13 posts, read 62,019 times
We're about to close on a house in firewheel estates. We like the area and Abbett elementary seems like a good fit for our kids. Garland definitely has a reputation of being a little less highbrow then other northern suburbs. I think that's one of the reasons we like it. Nobody moves to Garland just to say that they live in Garland. The area near Garland Avenue and 190 really has all you could want or need for a normal day within half a mile or so--except for my office which is in Dallas. We decided that was a trade-off would be willing to make to have a little more land and quieter streets than we currently do in Dallas. It definitely doesn't feel as crowded or congested as Plano, Frisco or Allen. There is a lot of green space with the Firewheel golf courses, Breckenridge Park and a nature preserve in that area as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas