Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 08:52 AM

19 posts, read 100,138 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I need some input here. We are planning to relocate to the Dallas area and are looking for a good suburb to stay for our 2 kids (with another coming). We are looking for a 3BR, 2BTH with hardwood floors (at least in the living area), a 2 car garage, a decent sized yard, less that 10 years old, and in a nice school district. Our budget is $300K maximum.

So far we have zeroed in on Frisco because getting a house we like in Coppell and Plano ISDs with our budget seems like a stretch so far (could not find anything). Also, I may have to travel occasionally so I don't want to stay too far from the airport (30-40 minutes is no problem non-rush). Also, my wife intends to go to school in the coming years (UT Southwestern) so a decent commute to Dallas downtown is also very preferable.

Any other suburbs we should look at besides Frisco that fit our requirements and budget, and is a good school district? I am thinking if we need to we can relocate 15 years down the line to a great HS district but we do need excellent elementary and middle schools for now.

Thanks,
Sage79
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 09:55 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,844,019 times
You will not have a decent commute from Frisco to downtown Dallas.

You might not find a less than 10 year old house, but Richardson, feeding into Pearce High School is a good area.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:20 AM

73 posts, read 182,474 times
Another vote for Richardson here: Easy commute, great schools, strong city services, low crime, great neighborhoods. But as the poster said, most of the housing stock in Pearce HS or Richardson HS areas is 40+ years old, so you'll need to look for houses that have been totally redone - and listings tend to get snapped up quickly, so you'll want to find a realtor who knows the area well.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:22 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,531,205 times
Quote:
I need some input here. We are planning to relocate to the Dallas area and are looking for a good suburb to stay for our 2 kids (with another coming). We are looking for a 3BR, 2BTH with hardwood floors (at least in the living area), a 2 car garage, a decent sized yard, less that 10 years old, and in a nice school district. Our budget is $300K maximum.
Frisco would be a crappy commute to UTSW. And the schools aren't awful, but there are better ones to choose from.

You can get what you want in Coppell if you are willing to go older. Honestly, you need to look at homes older than 10 years to get in a good school district in your price range/commute. Many of them are nicely updated. You would probably really like something in Northlake Woodlands. Something like this:

183 Highland Meadow Cir, Coppell, TX 75019 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Also look in Plano and Richardson as others suggested.

Fair warning, it's a tough price range to try and find a house in. You'll have to jump on anything you find asap. Like, day of listing.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:40 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,172,717 times
Echo the Richardson suggestion. The Lake Highlands area of northeast Dallas is another good place to start - again, homes will be from the 1950-1960's but most have been updated w/in last 10-15 years, good public schools, and reasonable commute to UT-SW.

You could also look southwest of downtown in Cedar Hill, where you could get a new home in your budget. You'd want to go private or magnet for high school, but the district has a good magnet school.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:11 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,289,119 times
I would pick the Pearce or Lake Highlands areas.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:58 PM

Thanks, I am looking at Richardson now and removing the less than 10 years clause on my search.

It's funny I did my research (obviously didn't do a good job) and told my realtor I am looking at Frisco. And he never bothered to ask me about anything and why.

Please keep your comments coming.

Thanks.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:19 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,531,205 times
Just a thought...if you end up looking in Plano, Coppell, or Richardson, you are probably best off with a Realtor specific to those areas given how competitive they are.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:23 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,560,386 times
Yes, very competitive. Multiple offer situations upon listing.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:27 PM

Default Any good realtors you would recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Just a thought...if you end up looking in Plano, Coppell, or Richardson, you are probably best off with a Realtor specific to those areas given how competitive they are.
You mean separate realtors for each area? Or one who knows these areas well? Any good realtors you would recommend?

Mine seems too busy to respond and I am flying over to TX to look at houses this weekend. Need to get the ball rolling on this soon

- Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas