Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 12:34 PM

205 posts, read 279,343 times

Advertisements

yet another person killed because of some drunk idiot.... can't dallas do something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 12:58 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,776 times
Yes, Dallas should make it illegal to drive drunk. Oh wait...

Old 01-27-2014, 01:03 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,463,188 times
Or like put up flashing do not enter signings the wrong way on exit ramps? Oh wait....

Old 01-27-2014, 03:32 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,823 times
They could close the bars at midnight. They could step up the number of cops after midnight. They could actually enforce the no insurance laws (I am guessing that if you are irresponsible enough to drive without insurance, you might also be the same guy drinking and driving). They could quit giving out occupational licenses for people that get DWIs. We could all have breathalyzers in our cars (like the convicted DWI offenders).

Overall, there is a lot that Dallas could do. But, most people would not agree to infringe on their civil liberties for a higher degree of safety.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:59 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,880,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
They could close the bars at midnight. They could step up the number of cops after midnight. They could actually enforce the no insurance laws (I am guessing that if you are irresponsible enough to drive without insurance, you might also be the same guy drinking and driving). They could quit giving out occupational licenses for people that get DWIs. We could all have breathalyzers in our cars (like the convicted DWI offenders).

Overall, there is a lot that Dallas could do. But, most people would not agree to infringe on their civil liberties for a higher degree of safety.
Or pay the truckloads of additional taxes to pay for all that extra government and regulation.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:00 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,870,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kretsch View Post
yet another person killed because of some drunk idiot.... can't dallas do something?
Please, bestow upon us your solutions to this problem.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:54 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,463,188 times
Maybe we should just outlaw cars.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:44 PM

205 posts, read 279,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
Please, bestow upon us your solutions to this problem.
tire spikes on every single exit.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:09 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
there are likely times when police and other emergency vehicles legitimately need to go the wrong way on the freeway so having tire rippers would not be good idea then

I am all in favor of shutting down bars earlier but some people would just drink harder

I do believe that laws and judges are too lenient on DWI violators

this might be good case for use of drones to monitor for erratic driving--
they are fairly inexpensive compared to hiring more police and paying for their benefits and equipment...
not all drones need to cost 112K and shoot missiles..

and I believe in some states drivers who have had a DWI conviction have special plates on their cars--marking driver as one with DWI conviction
that is ONLY car they are legally allowed to drive
it can be stopped at any time by police to check for alcohol/drug use by driver AND the driver pays for this extra oversight because s/he has been deemed a danger to community because of conviction and pays through the purchase of the car tags...which are higher in price than conventional car tags...
if they get caught driving any other car that is big problem--lose their license I think

Old 01-28-2014, 07:26 AM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times
While any new approaches to DUI get sorted out, drive defensive people, assuming there might be someone coming the wrong way at you and have a plan of what to do. If you crest a hill and they are coming at you, not much time to react/respond/ but assume the worst in other drivers is how I was taught defensive driving. I was run off PGBT this morning coming to work, but fortunately it has a shoulder that I could use to avoid getting hit by this driver not paying attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas