Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 02:14 PM

96 posts, read 135,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
The weather is only a small part in the decision making process on where to live.
Not for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
But there are jobs to be had. You have to take climate into consideration, especially if you really despise hot weather. Texas is NOT a good place for you to live. You will hate life at least four months out of the year. Plus, you sacrifice a LOT moving from the West Coast to DFW. Sure, we have a relatively decent job market (it's not great for all industries, despite what others here will tell you) and a relatively low COL...but DFW is boring in a lot of ways. You give up a good climate, you give up natural beauty and scenery, and socializing here mainly consists of eating out, happy hours in bars, or shopping. Maybe a trip to the movie theater. I've lived in several other countries and DFW is the most god-awful boring place I have ever lived. And I have lived in POLAND AND RURAL ENGLAND.
Despite what you said, I think Dallas is still in the lead for me despite the hot weather. I mean, a little sun never hurt anyone I guess...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 02:15 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,549 times
I'll lend a slightly more positive slant to the conversation.

Yes, it's very very hot for the better part of four months (June-Sept). BUT, I moved to Texas as a lifelong New Englander in the summer of 2006, and every year it gets easier (really!). I lived in Austin for 2006-2009, and truly thought I would die. It was awful. And it seemed to last FOREVER in Austin (much more so than Dallas) - I remember my kids trick or treating in short sleeves (and sweating), and playing outside in a light top with no coat on Christmas. My sister lived in Houston at the time, and when we visited her in the summer, I actually had trouble breathing outside (I have asthma) from the heat with humidity.

Fast forward several years and a move to Dallas, and I find by comparison, it's really not that bad. Part of that is probably because I've just acclimated in general over the years, but I also think that Dallas is not as bad as other parts of Texas - our summers are "shorter" (by comparison!) and less humid than several places I've been in Texas.

OP - think of the summers here like winters up north. We stay inside with the A/C during the summer months just as I stayed inside with the heat in New England, only going out for short(er) periods, bundled up. I really do think of summers that way here. However, I (for the most part) enjoy Dallas weather from October through May, with the exception of some occasional long-lasting hotter weather.

Good luck!

Old 02-17-2014, 02:23 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,351 times
Quote:
But there are jobs to be had. You have to take climate into consideration, especially if you really despise hot weather. Texas is NOT a good place for you to live. You will hate life at least four months out of the year. Plus, you sacrifice a LOT moving from the West Coast to DFW. Sure, we have a relatively decent job market (it's not great for all industries, despite what others here will tell you) and a relatively low COL...but DFW is boring in a lot of ways. You give up a good climate, you give up natural beauty and scenery, and socializing here mainly consists of eating out, happy hours in bars, or shopping. Maybe a trip to the movie theater. I've lived in several other countries and DFW is the most god-awful boring place I have ever lived. And I have lived in POLAND AND RURAL ENGLAND.
Chew on this- how happy you are with a particular city depends on your friends. I don't find Dallas boring because we have good friends and enjoy getting together to watch the Oscars, go the musicals (great venue), eating dinner out (outstanding restaurants), go to concerts (they all come)etc. However, if I did not have my social circle, I would think Dallas is somewhat boring.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:47 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
Chew on this- how happy you are with a particular city depends on your friends. I don't find Dallas boring because we have good friends and enjoy getting together to watch the Oscars, go the musicals (great venue), eating dinner out (outstanding restaurants), go to concerts (they all come)etc. However, if I did not have my social circle, I would think Dallas is somewhat boring.
Yeah....when you're a divorced childless female in your late 30s in DFW, your opportunities for socializing are somewhat limited. You're practically kryptonite if you're single and don't have kids. Chew on that.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:01 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,403,017 times
Quote:
Yeah....when you're a divorced childless female in your late 30s in DFW, your opportunities for socializing are somewhat limited. You're practically kryptonite if you're single and don't have kids.
I'm pretty sure that's going to be true across the entire United States, except perhaps NYC. Unfortunately statistics just isn't on your side, at least not yet.

81% of women in the US have given birth by age 44 as of 2010. In 1976, 90 percent of women in that age group had given birth.

Read more: Mothers by the Numbers | Infoplease.com

Old 02-17-2014, 03:02 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I'm pretty sure that's going to be true across the entire United States, except perhaps NYC. Unfortunately statistics just isn't on your side, at least not yet.

81% of women in the US have given birth by age 44 as of 2010. In 1976, 90 percent of women in that age group had given birth.

Read more: Mothers by the Numbers | Infoplease.com
It's especially bad here, take my word for it.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:50 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
There used to be relief when tropical storm or hurricane would come ashore, and we'd get soaking rains for a few days. A couple of those a summer and we were never in a drought. Seems the last 10-15 years this hasn't happened as often. They seem to always miss far to the south( like Mexico) or much further to the East. Rita is the last one I can remember that gave us soaking summer rains. I guess that's good for Houston, but keeps us really dry.
I think 2007 was the last time Texas had a rainy and relative cool Summer in Texas standards. I wasn't in Texas that year but followed the weather and remember a picture showing the skyline reflecting off of the trinity river. It looked like a lake.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:56 PM

96 posts, read 135,939 times
Is there any African or Indian food? Also too, are there any good mechanics that can do oil changes for when I get there?

Old 02-17-2014, 04:17 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,351 times
Quote:
It's especially bad here, take my word for it.
Just curious, but why do you think it is worse in DFW than any other part of the country? I know a multitude of assistants in my office that are divorced, some with kids and some without, in their 30s and 40s and they seem to be doing just fine in the dating scene.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:21 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImMovingVerySoon View Post
Is there any African or Indian food? Also too, are there any good mechanics that can do oil changes for when I get there?
Indian, yes there are large concentrations of Indian people and restaurants(mostly in the suburbs). As far as oil change places, there are literally thousands of them in the metroplex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas