Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 09:01 PM

6 posts, read 7,366 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am a single 50ish gay male thinking moving to Dallas from LA. I am an LA native and it is crazy expensive here now!

I will keep my current job and salary.

What are the nicer areas to live in, I am looking to rent to start with?

looking to rent a studio or 1 bedroom and am willing to spend up to $1700 a month

Appreciate any recommendations, i will maintain my current job which involves extensive domestic travel - almost every week. So airport accessibility is important as well.

Thank you for reading and i anxiously await your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 09:49 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,180,774 times
If you prefer city neighborhoods, you may enjoy any of the following: North Oak Lawn, Turtle Creek, Knox-Henderson, Uptown, Design District, North Oak Cliff, etc. These are all vibrant neighborhoods in the "inner loop" of Dallas' sprawl. $1700/mo is a great budget for a nice one bedroom in a full-service Turtle Creek high rise or a trendy apartment in the Design District. You may be able to find an older but larger condo along the Katy Trail (Uptown or Knox-Henderson neighborhoods) or a historic duplex in North Oak Lawn or North Oak Cliff.

If you like great restaurants (ranging from trendy to low-key), the arts (performing and visual), walkability, diversity, access to gyms/ trails/ other fitness activities, etc - these neifhborboods are among the best Dallas has to offer.

They're all convenient for your work travel; all are within 5-15 minutes of Love Field and 15-30 minutes of DFW International Airport.

Dallas has a large gay population so no matter where you land, you won't be the only one (even in some of the more obscure suburbs), but if you would like to be in a neighborhood with more gay neighbors and businesses, the Oak Lawn, Turtle Creek, and North Oak Cliff are the top picks. Oak Lawn's Cedar Springs "strip" is gay-borhood central and is a bit over the top. North of Lemmon (North Oak Lawn) is a nice enclave tucked between overt gayborhood and prestigious Highland Park. Turtle Creek is more mature and you'll find many prominent and refined residents living up in the treetops in the highrises (so many fabulous decorators & architects!) North Oak Cliff has been the "up & coming" place that has definitely arrived. Neiman Marcus' fashion director Ken Downing lives there with his partner, as do many other movers & shakers in the business and arts communities (who happen to be gay). It's probably the most mixed demographic area of the three- kind of a nice split 1/3 gays, 1/3 young families, and 1/3 single professionals or empty nesters.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:04 PM

Thank you so much for all the advice, I really appreciate it!

Old 02-18-2014, 03:33 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,862,887 times
Same demographic here, and I moved from Palm Springs (to Austin) to Dallas. I miss the desert scenery but I don't miss the CA prices (when I left in Nov 2012, super-unleaded was $5.05 a gallon and my earthquake insurance had just gone up yet again), and having to battle traffic on the 10 (since you're in CA, I can say "THE" 10 but once you're here, Texans will slap you upside the head for saying "THE" before a freeway). Because I's po-folk I can't afford to live in the gay areas of Dallas, but I can visit! Gay men here are legendary for their attitude - Austinites for years always referred to the "Dallitude" but since you're coming from LA, you should be used to that sort of thing.

No state income tax, the gas tax is lower, and gas prices are much lower than in CA because the hotbed of nut-job-ism, the California Legislature, has stricter mandates than the feds for gasoline so it costs much more there.

The gay areas are close to Love Field if that's the airport you'd be using - otherwise, DFW is out yonder west of town a bit.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:52 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,484,690 times
I highly recommend the areas TurtleCreek80 said. Tons of things to do within a 2-mile radius, great restaurants, Katy Trail, and doesn't have the uptight conservatism of the further-flung suburbs.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:00 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,862,887 times
But then again, I'm friends with a lesbian couple who live in Plano and they tell me that a huge chunk of their subdivision is gay - but they're all coupled. It seems gay folk start out in the hip areas here, find themselves a partner, and relocate to a nice house in the burbs. I might just skip the partner part and go directly to Collin County next year.

The "further-flung suburbs" aren't nearly as bad as some might portray.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:08 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,156,080 times
Just be prepared for the summer heat and what will seem like high humidity if you're coming from California.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:57 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,470,465 times
I would definitely look at Oak Lawn (75219) first. Oak Lawn is very close to Love Field. DFW airport is only 15 miles away. $1700 is a really healthy budget for Dallas. You could actually cut it by a few $100 and still get a nice 1 bedroom.

Since your new and single, you may want a place in the center of the action. The Ilume is on the strip, and walkable to everything gay in Dallas. They just opened their brand new building, and both buildings have excellent amenities.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:25 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,258,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
If you prefer city neighborhoods, you may enjoy any of the following: North Oak Lawn, Turtle Creek, Knox-Henderson, Uptown, Design District, North Oak Cliff, etc. These are all vibrant neighborhoods in the "inner loop" of Dallas' sprawl. $1700/mo is a great budget for a nice one bedroom in a full-service Turtle Creek high rise or a trendy apartment in the Design District. You may be able to find an older but larger condo along the Katy Trail (Uptown or Knox-Henderson neighborhoods) or a historic duplex in North Oak Lawn or North Oak Cliff.

If you like great restaurants (ranging from trendy to low-key), the arts (performing and visual), walkability, diversity, access to gyms/ trails/ other fitness activities, etc - these neifhborboods are among the best Dallas has to offer.

They're all convenient for your work travel; all are within 5-15 minutes of Love Field and 15-30 minutes of DFW International Airport.

Dallas has a large gay population so no matter where you land, you won't be the only one (even in some of the more obscure suburbs), but if you would like to be in a neighborhood with more gay neighbors and businesses, the Oak Lawn, Turtle Creek, and North Oak Cliff are the top picks. Oak Lawn's Cedar Springs "strip" is gay-borhood central and is a bit over the top. North of Lemmon (North Oak Lawn) is a nice enclave tucked between overt gayborhood and prestigious Highland Park. Turtle Creek is more mature and you'll find many prominent and refined residents living up in the treetops in the highrises (so many fabulous decorators & architects!) North Oak Cliff has been the "up & coming" place that has definitely arrived. Neiman Marcus' fashion director Ken Downing lives there with his partner, as do many other movers & shakers in the business and arts communities (who happen to be gay). It's probably the most mixed demographic area of the three- kind of a nice split 1/3 gays, 1/3 young families, and 1/3 single professionals or empty nesters.

I concur

Old 02-21-2014, 10:05 PM

Thank you all for the great suggestions! i really appreciate it- i was torn between San Antonio and Dallas, but after spending this whole week in San Antonio I think Dallas wins me over. I'm going look for apartments the second week of March and will definitly follow the advice I have received
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas