Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 10:54 PM

311 posts, read 448,430 times

Advertisements

I'm attending a relative's baby shower in San Antonio next month and wondering what's the best route to take for minimum aggravation. I tinkered with the idea of flying Southwest, but I don't think it will shave off that much time each way (give or take 1-2 hours, depending on flight delays, how early we need to get to the airport, etc.) Plus, it's not cheap with the timeframe of leaving Saturday morning and returning Sunday afternoon/night (~$200, by which and extra $50 can get you to the east or west coast from here - bonkers). On top of this, both my MIL and SIL are coming and I offered to drive (more cost effective this way), but I think my SIL is going the flight route and my MIL is still deciding.

My coworkers say I-35 is a parking lot in Austin, and I saw online that some people take 281, which technically adds a half hour of time per google maps, but could prevent the I-35 headache.

Has anyone made this trip recently, and what are your thoughts on driving v. flying? And if driving which roads to take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 11:33 PM

19,498 posts, read 17,739,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallahoohoo View Post
I'm attending a relative's baby shower in San Antonio next month and wondering what's the best route to take for minimum aggravation. I tinkered with the idea of flying Southwest, but I don't think it will shave off that much time each way (give or take 1-2 hours, depending on flight delays, how early we need to get to the airport, etc.) Plus, it's not cheap with the timeframe of leaving Saturday morning and returning Sunday afternoon/night (~$200, by which and extra $50 can get you to the east or west coast from here - bonkers). On top of this, both my MIL and SIL are coming and I offered to drive (more cost effective this way), but I think my SIL is going the flight route and my MIL is still deciding.

My coworkers say I-35 is a parking lot in Austin, and I saw online that some people take 281, which technically adds a half hour of time per google maps, but could prevent the I-35 headache.

Has anyone made this trip recently, and what are your thoughts on driving v. flying? And if driving which roads to take?
Oh boy. I drive to SA 3/4x per year and Austin more often still. Austin can be a peking lot but there is also a number construction constriction points between Hillsboro and Belton. It's a straight up sin that the state didn't six lane I-35 from SA to Gainsville 30 years ago.

I think 281 takes more than 30 extra minutes from the Dallas side of the metro but it's a really pretty drive and typically traffic is not bad at all. I'd do that.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:38 AM

762 posts, read 1,183,826 times
There is a new-ish toll road that runs parallel to I-35 that I highly recommend. State highway 130 was built to bypass Austin. You pick it up in Georgetown and it takes you straight to San Antonio. The speed limit is 80 and I have never seen much traffic on it. I'm not sure the total cost but I think it's about $6-9 total is you take it the whole way (1 way) and you can use your toll tag. It adds about 10 miles to the trip but much faster. Good luck.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:47 AM

11,819 posts, read 26,677,232 times
Count me in for that toll road. There's a hardly any traffic on it, and the high speed limits are wonderful. It's worth the money!

Old 02-20-2014, 06:33 AM

77 posts, read 132,764 times
Take 281 - there is literally no traffic and the route is scenic not convenient if you are in north suburbs (Collin county) and it adds 30 mins to your travel time.

Take I-35 - leave early morning before 7 AM or in the evening after 7 PM.

Toll road works if you are going to Downtown San Antonio or areas south of downtown, it is not a good option if you are going to North San Antonio.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:15 AM

762 posts, read 1,183,826 times
If you are going to the north part of SA area and want to use 130, after you bypass Austin you can cut over to I-35 using toll road 45. You avoid the Austin traffic and still arrive in San Antonio via I-35.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:31 AM

277 posts, read 674,970 times
This is based on my experience. Traffic is not that bad OUTSIDE of rush hour when going through Austin. It's not like Los Angeles whereas there's traffic all day and night. I highly recommend going and leaving SA during late hours to avoid traffic. Expect around 4 hrs from downtown Dallas to SA. Good luck.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:53 AM

212 posts, read 408,214 times
Given the criteria of less aggravation, I would choose 281 if I had the time and it made geographic sense. It's a lovely drive.

I have driven 35 to San Antonio several times in the last few months. The traffic in Austin in what the traffic in Austin usually is. The tollroad bypass, which I generally take, is becoming more crowded and with speeds between 80/85 miles an hour, there is little room for error or inattentiveness. Also, every time I have driven 35 recently there has been an accident in the constructions zones between Hillsboro and Austin, which can add an indeterminate amount of time. On the plus side, the 35 route does give the opportunity for a stop at Buccee's.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:54 AM

19,498 posts, read 17,739,722 times
The tollways around Austin and then south to Seguin are great but that's what ~1/4 of the trip? Also colts_01's point about North or South SA is a good one.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:49 AM

311 posts, read 448,430 times
Looking at the map, 130 connects to I-10 near Seguin, so what you all are saying is that I-10 coming in/out of SA is not as bad as I-35?

I'm fine taking I-35 instead of 281 if it takes a shorter amount of time. I'm planning to leave Saturday morning 6 or 7am, and on Sunday probably after lunch.

The shower is held near Mcallister park, which looks closer to either 281 or I-35. It might make more sense to not take 130 then?

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas