Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 10:57 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
There is no commercial place in Dallas that makes good crawfish IMO and I've been to them all. Nate's, Dodies, Boiling Crab, Razoo's, Pappadeaux's, etc. Boiling Crab is probably the best but it's not true South LA style and the location is not very good. Most use what I call the Dallas formula:
  • Little to no seasoning in the boil
  • Over cooked
  • Not soaked long enough
  • Tony's poured on the outside
My guess is someone along the way started cooking them this way and everyone just thought that's how they were supposed to be.

Every year my friends and I (south LA transplants) talk about starting our own catering business because you just cant find good crawfish in Dallas. As others have mentioned I think location would be key. Somewhere along the 75 corridor would be good. Between Henderson and Wallnut Hill. That would pull in the Uptown, M-Streets, Park Cites, Lakewood and north Dallas neighborhoods.
I can't imagine people from these neighborhoods eating crawfish very often. A location in southern Dallas will put you in closer proximity with people who likely have more of an affinity with Louisiana treats.

To me, a mudbug joint has Bishop Arts District written all over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 10:59 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,461,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I can't imagine people from these neighborhoods eating crawfish very often. A location in southern Dallas will put you in closer proximity with people who likely have more of an affinity with Louisiana treats.

Park Cities, maybe not but the others absolutely would. There's a reason the Pappadeaux and Dodies in those areas are almost always packed. I think Bishop Art's MIGHT be a good location, but a lot of that traffic is from people in the Lakewood, Park Cities, North Dallas area driving down to Lockharts and such.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:00 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
yep the crawfish only places mostly are not even opening yet because of the lack of availability do to cold waters still. Now I am talking about Louisana and east Texas crawfish not imported ones from far east or frozen tails.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:16 AM

551 posts, read 1,098,602 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Park Cities, maybe not but the others absolutely would. There's a reason the Pappadeaux and Dodies in those areas are almost always packed. I think Bishop Art's MIGHT be a good location, but a lot of that traffic is from people in the Lakewood, Park Cities, North Dallas area driving down to Lockharts and such.
I've boiled crawfish for a friends parents in HP the last 3 years. There is huge turnout everytime. I usually get 10-15 requests from that boil alone from people in the Park Cities to come and cook for them but i just don't have time.

I'm not saying that Bishop Arts does not have a demand but it's on the outskirts where something like 75 and Lovers is centrally located. You'd get more regulars as apposed to one time novelty of driving down to Bishop Arts to get crawfish.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:24 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
I've boiled crawfish for a friends parents in HP the last 3 years. There is huge turnout everytime. I usually get 10-15 requests from that boil alone from people in the Park Cities to come and cook for them but i just don't have time.

I'm not saying that Bishop Arts does not have a demand but it's on the outskirts where something like 75 and Lovers is centrally located. You'd get more regulars as apposed to one time novelty of driving down to Bishop Arts to get crawfish.
Well, there is an entire region of Dallas that's found below Bishop Arts, you know. That's my point. How is something right outside of downtown the outskirts?

Old 02-25-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Well, there is an entire region of Dallas that's found below Bishop Arts, you know. That's my point. How is something right outside of downtown the outskirts?
You have to realize that the southern portion of Dallas also does not have the luxury of eating out as often either.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:08 PM

You obviously have this worked out, but how are you going to get quality bugs in the off season?

Old 02-25-2014, 12:09 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,066 times
southern end of Henderson would be a great location. Very neighborhood like and still just blocks from more expensive space like lower Greenville and Knox-Henderson, while being next to some great neighborhood spots like Louie's.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
southern end of Henderson would be a great location. Very neighborhood like and still just blocks from more expensive space like lower Greenville and Knox-Henderson, while being next to some great neighborhood spots like Louie's.
Agreed. And rent around there is probably reasonable compared to true uptown, PC, Lakewood locations.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:08 PM

974 posts, read 2,185,143 times
Or...you might take a cue from the Food Truck Culture that's all the rage in L.A. and Hollyweird. Why not just outfit a mobile crawfish boil truck, get the right permits and find places where you can park at different high-traffic access points?
I know a guy who did that with his raw shrimp sales and then build a restaurant after he developed a following.

There's a guy in L.A. who sells Korean Tacos / Short Ribs and uses only Twitter to let folks know where the trucks will be at any given day and time. When his truck arrives...there's already a line formed 'cuz his food is that good.

Kogi BBQ Taco Truck & Catering | Korean BBQ To-Go

Just an thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas