Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 04:32 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,326,441 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get a solid lawn care rotation going (I'm new to this!) and have heard a lot of people talking about pre-emergent. It sounds like you need to put it down in the spring and in the fall, but I've heard a pretty broad range of 'when' to actually do it.

Anyone else going through this now? I've heard everything from "Valentine's Day and Halloween" to "March 15 and September 15".

When should I spread my stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 04:40 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
I'm trying to get a solid lawn care rotation going (I'm new to this!) and have heard a lot of people talking about pre-emergent. It sounds like you need to put it down in the spring and in the fall, but I've heard a pretty broad range of 'when' to actually do it.

Anyone else going through this now? I've heard everything from "Valentine's Day and Halloween" to "March 15 and September 15".

When should I spread my stuff?
Per-emergent right now - within the next week for sure. In Dallas proper the earliest weeds are sprouting now.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:48 PM

74 posts, read 166,435 times
Here's a good guide for fertilization, herbicides & fungicides: Randy Lemmon

I've been following it for a year but will need to make some adjustments. I had virtually zero winter weeds so that was great however spring has not been pretty. I'll put down pre-em earlier next year for spring weeds.

If you're looking for chems then Strong's Nursery in Carrollton has the best selection that I've found.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:12 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,326,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Per-emergent right now - within the next week for sure. In Dallas proper the earliest weeds are sprouting now.
I've got a ton of weeds now, but my understanding is that these are winter weeds and pre-emergent won't do anything for the weeds currently sprouting… I'm a season behind.

I think putting pre-emergent down now will prevent the weeds that would be sprouting throughout the summer… is this right?

I'm hoping once the weather warms up my grass will just choke out most of the weeds, but I've got quite a few this year. Dandelions, dollar weeds, some other things with purple flowers… nice variety!

Old 02-24-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
I've got a ton of weeds now, but my understanding is that these are winter weeds and pre-emergent won't do anything for the weeds currently sprouting… I'm a season behind.

I think putting pre-emergent down now will prevent the weeds that would be sprouting throughout the summer… is this right?

I'm hoping once the weather warms up my grass will just choke out most of the weeds, but I've got quite a few this year. Dandelions, dollar weeds, some other things with purple flowers… nice variety!

Not really. Although it depends a bit on exactly where you live.
The broadleaf weeds are just now beginning to sprout. I pulled a number of them today - my lawn service put down pre-emergent herbicide on Friday. My yard will look like, a 99% weedless, paradise in a couple of months.

Lawn turf more or less never chocked out weeds.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:01 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Purple flowers =henbit. Go to Facebook and find Neil Sperry. Like his page. He is THE Texas garden guru. His page has tons of Notes telling you what to do when.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Not really. Although it depends a bit on exactly where you live.
The broadleaf weeds are just now beginning to sprout. I pulled a number of them today - my lawn service put down pre-emergent herbicide on Friday. My yard will look like, a 99% weedless, paradise in a couple of months.

Lawn turf more or less never chocked out weeds.
Chokes out weeds sorry....

And I the dandelions and all sorts of other broadleaf weeds are coming out just now.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:54 PM

477 posts, read 1,051,645 times
If I go to Home Depot, what pre emergent should I use for St. Aug lawn? Like what brand etc? I used Scott's Turfbuilder for the Fall last fall. Must've worked b/c my front lawn has hardly any weeds.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globe9 View Post
If I go to Home Depot, what pre emergent should I use for St. Aug lawn? Like what brand etc? I used Scott's Turfbuilder for the Fall last fall. Must've worked b/c my front lawn has hardly any weeds.
IIRC that stuff is pre-emergent and fertilizer - ask the guys/gals at HD they typically know their stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas