Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 11:29 AM

65 posts, read 116,968 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Dallas area this summer....it changes every day...Plano, Allen, Colleyville, Rockwall...depending on the day. However, we always come back to Plano, preferring Plano West or Plano Sr. My husband just spoke to his friend who has been down there for quite some time....he lives in Frisco. He and his wife lost their jobs and she is currently unemployed. He works but not in his chosen profession...they were forced to sell their home and move into an apt. He says his daughter is teased for not having a big house...REALLY? I mean come on...what is going on there??

Now...I KNOW this is not the norm everywhere in the Metroplex but are the snobs really that bad? I live on Long Island and we are LOADED with them, so I think I can deal, but I want my kids to make new friends and feel welcomed, which is why I'm not 100% sold on Plano West HS.

Our budget for a house is $300k with a pool and we want a ranch...of course no mansion for that kind of money. I found a house in Interlaken for sale...friends of ours who live in Plano West drove by there and said the area was not nice, so I'm giving up the online search for now and am going to wait until we are there in June to househunt. We will have 2 weeks to find something....ANY advice would be welcomed

I know this subject has been posted on here ad nauseam, but is Plano really where I want to be? Would Allen be a better fit for more middle class famlies? Is the isolation of Rockwall worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 11:34 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreLeavingLongIsland View Post
We are moving to the Dallas area this summer....it changes every day...Plano, Allen, Colleyville, Rockwall...depending on the day. However, we always come back to Plano, preferring Plano West or Plano Sr. My husband just spoke to his friend who has been down there for quite some time....he lives in Frisco. He and his wife lost their jobs and she is currently unemployed. He works but not in his chosen profession...they were forced to sell their home and move into an apt. He says his daughter is teased for not having a big house...REALLY? I mean come on...what is going on there??

Now...I KNOW this is not the norm everywhere in the Metroplex but are the snobs really that bad? I live on Long Island and we are LOADED with them, so I think I can deal, but I want my kids to make new friends and feel welcomed, which is why I'm not 100% sold on Plano West HS.

Our budget for a house is $300k with a pool and we want a ranch...of course no mansion for that kind of money. I found a house in Interlaken for sale...friends of ours who live in Plano West drove by there and said the area was not nice, so I'm giving up the online search for now and am going to wait until we are there in June to househunt. We will have 2 weeks to find something....ANY advice would be welcomed

I know this subject has been posted on here ad nauseam, but is Plano really where I want to be? Would Allen be a better fit for more middle class famlies? Is the isolation of Rockwall worth it?
Interlaken Dr in Plano or Interlochen in Arlington?

Old 03-10-2014, 11:39 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
West Plano for under $300k with a pool and you want it to be 1 story? Where? I'm sure that would go well over asking price with tons of offers on it. You're not in the price point for West Plano, so don't worry about them.

And have you thought that maybe your friend's daughter is just upset that they're in an apartment and made that up to guilt them into getting back into a house?

I grew up in Richardson, and in the middle of 6th grade, my parents divorced and we rented the rest of the time. Moved from house to house as the lease would end. My friends didn't care that we didn't own our house nor did they care what size it was. They just cared that when we moved each time, it was within the same district and school zoning.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:47 AM

173 posts, read 399,051 times
While friends try to be helpful, opinions are just that. You are wise to try to narrow down areas but until you actually see them yourself, you won't know if it is a fit or not.

I know the house on Interlaken. It is an older area, River Bend, but it well kept up and an easy walk to an excellent elementary school. I, personally, would not consider it "not so nice", but that's my opinion. It is an older area and houses sell very well and many are being updated as original owners sell. That area is zoned to Plano Senior HIgh, not West. $300,000 with a pool and zoned to PWSH is going to very tough.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:53 AM

Interlaken in Plano.

I don't know this young girl very well, so I have no idea what the situation is at all. I was just surprised to hear about this going on. I just want my kids to be happy and make new friends.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:59 AM

88 posts, read 173,258 times
I'm not sure if this is still available but offers a great location and school in area of your preference.

4216 Lorimar Dr, Plano, TX 75093 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Old 03-10-2014, 12:01 PM

88 posts, read 173,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreLeavingLongIsland View Post
Interlaken in Plano.

I don't know this young girl very well, so I have no idea what the situation is at all. I was just surprised to hear about this going on. I just want my kids to be happy and make new friends.
Interlaken Drive in an established and older neighborhood. It's pretty nice.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:07 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times
I grew up in one of probably the "snobbiest" areas of Dallas. My best friend lived an extremely small student housing apartment that was old and cheap. The school we attended mostly consisted of families bringing in 350K+ with sprinkles of a little less and billionaires. Not once did I hear anyone say anything towards where my friend lived. Maybe it was the group we associated with, time of growing up(early 2000's), area, etc. but I never noticed any of that. I would imagine that the girl was possibly already getting bullied and this added fuel to the bully's fire. Unfortunately kids are cruel and with bandwagon on just about anything.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:12 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGold View Post
Interlaken Drive in an established and older neighborhood. It's pretty nice.
That's what I was thinking.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGold View Post
I'm not sure if this is still available but offers a great location and school in area of your preference.

4216 Lorimar Dr, Plano, TX 75093 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
Thanks...I did see this one. Of course if we love the area and the house we may be able to stretch our budget. Actually...we CAN stretch our budget but we aren't looking to pay that much for a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas