Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 12:13 PM

390 posts, read 715,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
By the way Bill737, Southwest could fly to DFW any time it wants. I think you may have been eluding to the fact that they couldn't.
Not without losing gates at DAL. That is why AirTran pulled out of DFW after WN purchased them.

A 2006 agreement among the cities, the airport, Southwest and American Airlines states that Southwest would lose one gate at Dallas Love Field gate, up to eight gates, for every gate that it or an “affiliate” operates at Dallas/Fort Worth Airport.
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...o-get-ou.html/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 03:52 PM

871 posts, read 2,689,900 times
I am beyond thrilled that it appears Virgin will get those gates at LOVE. As I mentioned before in another thread, I've been beyond livid that Southwest won't have nonstops to the SF Bay Area starting in October 2014. I even wrote them and they said not to expect any new routes any time soon after that. I find it hard to believe that Dallas Area - SF Bay Area is not a big revenue generator for Southwest and Oakland is practically a west coast hub for Souhwest.

Now Virgin will come in to Love and I'll just fly them from Dallas Love Field to the Bay Area nonstop. Once Southwest sees that nobody wants to fly Dallas-Alq-Oak/SFO anymore and can nonstop with a competitor right out of Love Field, they'll have to cave and give us a DAL-OAK nonstop.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
I am beyond thrilled that it appears Virgin will get those gates at LOVE. As I mentioned before in another thread, I've been beyond livid that Southwest won't have nonstops to the SF Bay Area starting in October 2014. I even wrote them and they said not to expect any new routes any time soon after that. I find it hard to believe that Dallas Area - SF Bay Area is not a big revenue generator for Southwest and Oakland is practically a west coast hub for Souhwest.

Now Virgin will come in to Love and I'll just fly them from Dallas Love Field to the Bay Area nonstop. Once Southwest sees that nobody wants to fly Dallas-Alq-Oak/SFO anymore and can nonstop with a competitor right out of Love Field, they'll have to cave and give us a DAL-OAK nonstop.
Three airlines already fly non-stop from the DFW area to the Bay (SFO and SJC). There's already a lot of competition on the route. Southwest probably thinks they can command higher fares flying elsewhere from DAL. Why try to complete on a route that is already heavily serviced?

Old 04-26-2014, 05:27 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
10/13/14 will be a VERY interesting day at DAL, that much is certain. I think this is exciting!

Old 04-26-2014, 07:48 PM

871 posts, read 2,689,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seat21d View Post
Three airlines already fly non-stop from the DFW area to the Bay (SFO and SJC). There's already a lot of competition on the route. Southwest probably thinks they can command higher fares flying elsewhere from DAL. Why try to complete on a route that is already heavily serviced?
The point is, it's much more convenient for many people to fly out of Love Field. You can fly anywhere out of DFW (for the most part), so simply saying that airlines fly there isn't a compelling argument.

When Southwest starts losing business to the Bay Area from Dallas in favor of people taking Virgin out of Love, they'll probably cave.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
The point is, it's much more convenient for many people to fly out of Love Field. You can fly anywhere out of DFW (for the most part), so simply saying that airlines fly there isn't a compelling argument.

When Southwest starts losing business to the Bay Area from Dallas in favor of people taking Virgin out of Love, they'll probably cave.
WN will only care if:
1. there are not other more profitable routes to fly with their limited gates at DAL or other available resources (planes, crew, etc.), or
2. to punish Virgin America with rock bottom fares that will cause Virgin to lose money and retreat (a la what AA did to Legend)

Old 04-26-2014, 11:31 PM

6 posts, read 6,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Virgin will absolutely lower pricing in the markets in which they will fly. Could Southwest have done more with the gates? Of course they could, but that isn't how the DOJ would approach the situation. Currently, Southwest has far more market share in the DFW area and giving them more gates would add more. Adding VX will increase competition to the markets they will service. Its about diversity of market and marketshare, not who can do the most with the gates.

By the way Bill737, Southwest could fly to DFW any time it wants. I think you may have been eluding to the fact that they couldn't.
......And they would have to give up at least 8 gates at Love Field if they do so. I was never eluding to anything of the sort.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:33 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,731 times
Quote:
So much for Texas hospitality.
Dallas should be rolling out the welcome mat for Virgin America and sending over a case of Wild Turkey. It takes brass ones, plus some deep pockets, to take on Southwest Airlines at Love Field.
Instead of applauding, city officials are considering blocking Virgin’s plan to sublease two gates at Love and launch service next fall.
Schnurman: Dallas should heed history, promote Love Field competition Virgin America would bring | Dallas Morning News
Talk about hypocrisy ! Southwest finally got out from under the "Wright Amendment" in North Texas, and now they want to impose their own set of controls on the competition at Love Field by way of excluding as many competitors as possible.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:52 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Schnurman: Dallas should heed history, promote Love Field competition Virgin America would bring | Dallas Morning News
Talk about hypocrisy ! Southwest finally got out from under the "Wright Amendment" in North Texas, and now they want to impose their own set of controls on the competition at Love Field by way of excluding as many competitors as possible.
Thats the way I see it too and I work in the airline industry.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:06 AM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Competition is a good thing. Virgin all the way is fine by me. With growth of the area we are going to see another terminal at DFW before too long and additional airlines will come in as our business pattern changes with growth and corporate relos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas