Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 01:40 PM

117 posts, read 193,665 times

Advertisements

So i've been a lurker on here for years, back before i lived here and was in Charlotte, Nashville and San Francisco.

My wife (native texan) and I moved here 18 months ago, have a 1 yr old and bought a house last May near Forrest and the Tollway. Back when we figured we would send them (newly pregnant) to private school at first and move later. Lately we've been leaning towards moving before she enters 1st grade, so maybe 3 years from now. We love living in the middle here and are 6 blocks from the Tollway but given what we pay for our house and taxes we hate to spend $35-$50k per year to send 2 kids to private school. We also don't want them feeling privileged or spoiled.
Neither of us went to private schools so i might be overly generalizing here, sorry.

Anyway, i work Uptown right off the Tollway and also travel a few times a month from DFW and Love. My wife works from home and has an office downtown she rarely goes to. I won't be changing jobs but she might at some point.

Our main things are commute and schools like everyone else it seems. I most definitely can't do more than a 30 minute commute but my work times vary and i can leave early on most days.

We think somewhere in Plano or Coppell would be best given it's closeness. Our budget will be somewhere around $500-$700k by then, cheaper always being better.

We both love the mature trees of this area as well and that seems tough to find to further out you go.

Anyway, sorry for the long post and I hope that gives everyone an idea of our situation. Yes, i know it's way early to be talking about this but unless we move to London we'll be calling Dallas home for a long time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 03:13 PM

533 posts, read 642,960 times
A 30 min commute from West Plano, even if you leave early, is very difficult. More often than not, you will encounter traffic as the rush hour window keeps expanding. Richardson may be a better option IMHO.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:26 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwsavemoney View Post
A 30 min commute from West Plano, even if you leave early, is very difficult. More often than not, you will encounter traffic as the rush hour window keeps expanding. Richardson may be a better option IMHO.
I agree. I suggest the Reservation or Canyon Creek/Prairie Creek. The Waterview area between Belt Line and Arapaho is also spectacular. The Res and CC are zoned to the Pearce feeder pattern if you're in Dallas County (PISD in Collin) and I think Waterview Preservation is zoned to the RHS feeder pattern. People will say PEARCE PEARCE PEARCE until the cows come home, but there's actually not a whole lot of difference between the schools in terms of performance when you look at the actual test scores, and the last year that they published ratings RHS was about even with Pearce and ahead in some areas. So there's that too. I wouldn't rule it out without doing some homework. Plus, RHS is where the RISD's magnet programs are located.

A lot of neighborhoods in FND are zoned to RISD too. Might want to check out Highlands North, on the Dallas side of Coit south of Campbell. That's a beautiful neighborhood. I think the zip is 75240.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:51 PM

46 posts, read 78,101 times
Really? I find it surprising. I drove from a listing near Parr Library in West Plano to my realtor's office near Forest@DNT in 15 minutes during rush hour.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:20 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,463,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BombayDoc View Post
Really? I find it surprising. I drove from a listing near Parr Library in West Plano to my realtor's office near Forest@DNT in 15 minutes during rush hour.
In the morning or evening? There is usually lots of traffic in the morning on DNT headed south just after George Bush Turn Pike.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:27 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
In the morning or evening? There is usually lots of traffic in the morning on DNT headed south just after George Bush Turn Pike.

^^What he said. DNT southbound from just south of 121 all the way down to Addison is normally very crowded.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:34 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Did you drive from Plano to Forest in the afternoon rush hour? If so, you were traveling against traffic. S/B rush hour isn't great but it's twice as fast as n/b Tollroad.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainofjjj View Post
So i've been a lurker on here for years, back before i lived here and was in Charlotte, Nashville and San Francisco.

My wife (native texan) and I moved here 18 months ago, have a 1 yr old and bought a house last May near Forrest and the Tollway. Back when we figured we would send them (newly pregnant) to private school at first and move later. Lately we've been leaning towards moving before she enters 1st grade, so maybe 3 years from now. We love living in the middle here and are 6 blocks from the Tollway but given what we pay for our house and taxes we hate to spend $35-$50k per year to send 2 kids to private school. We also don't want them feeling privileged or spoiled.
Neither of us went to private schools so i might be overly generalizing here, sorry.

Anyway, i work Uptown right off the Tollway and also travel a few times a month from DFW and Love. My wife works from home and has an office downtown she rarely goes to. I won't be changing jobs but she might at some point.

Our main things are commute and schools like everyone else it seems. I most definitely can't do more than a 30 minute commute but my work times vary and i can leave early on most days.

We think somewhere in Plano or Coppell would be best given it's closeness. Our budget will be somewhere around $500-$700k by then, cheaper always being better.

We both love the mature trees of this area as well and that seems tough to find to further out you go.

Anyway, sorry for the long post and I hope that gives everyone an idea of our situation. Yes, i know it's way early to be talking about this but unless we move to London we'll be calling Dallas home for a long time!
You live in such a great neighborhood that I wouldn't want to move at all! We live not too far from there and are SO happy - even with that future private school price tag looking in the future.

Couple of things to consider:
1. Private school does NOT make your kid spoiled or entitled. I have heard that upwards of 1/3 of students at St Mark's, Catholic schools, etc are there on need-based scholarships. Private schools are much more diverse from an ethnic and economic perspective than HP, Coppell, Southlake, Plano West and other top public districts. For every one of Mark Cuban's daughters at Hockaday, there is a family driving a 10 year old Suburban to make room for tuition in the budget. There is also a young lady riding a bus from a sketchy part of Dallas and another one who lives at Hockaday's boarding house from South Korea or Peru.

I would highly recommend visiting a wide variety of private schools before PreK - from the über-elite ones to the Catholic ones to some of the smaller, off-the-radar ones. Just to see what is out there and what could be a good fit for your kids if you go that route.

2. Private school IS expensive so you might have to consider cutting back on other parts of your budget or even moving to a less expensive neighborhood like the Midway / Marsh corridor over by ESD and Good Shepherd's campuses. You also have to evaluate as a family if you want to make those financial sacrifices. Not everyone does and that is ok, too.

3. Consider DISD magnet schools as a way of staying in your current neighborhood. Dealey Montessori is on Royal between Preston and Hillcrest. While admissions are competitive, it is a great school and is considered a pathway into the elite magnets that DISD runs (Townview, SEM, Booker T Washington).

4. Other public school options:
-Buy a condo in HPISD. It's the best public school district around and super close to your office.
-Move to Lakewood and do Lakewood Elementary for K-5 and then either play the "wait and see" game for Long and Woodrow or go private for grades 6-12. Though you may not like what $500-700k buys in Lakewood these days. You'd definitely be giving up what I assume is a 1/2 acre lot in your current neighborhood.
-Suburbs: Richardson's Pearce and Richardson HS feeder zones are the closest in. After that, Coppell or Plano are the next closest though likely not consistently in your 30 minute commute criteria.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:50 PM

46 posts, read 78,101 times
I did drive from West Plano to Forest around 4pm.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I did drive from West Plano to Forest around 4pm.
That's the faster direction. And southbound rush hour doesn't get bad until 4:45ish so you were a bit early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas