Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 04:04 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,745,552 times

Advertisements

I slept soooo good last night with the windows open. And when I woke up I thought of this thread and the geckos that live on my patio (next to my bedroom). Sooooo glad for my screens and no lizards cuddling up with me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 05:28 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,808 times
This is the first I've heard of anyone ever removing their window screens and putting them in the attic or garage in this area!

I understand why the practice in the northern states is to remove the storm windows during the spring and summer months... but window screens here, never, and really no practical reason for it other than for personal aesthetic preference.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:46 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
More often solar screens are installed as heat is more of an issue.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:47 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
More often solar screens are installed as heat is more of an issue.
Yeah, a lot of people remove their solar screens in the winter to let the sun shine in and heat the house.

Also, houses show better without solar screens since they make the house look dark.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:19 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,745,552 times
Rakin,

When you say dark, so you mean the look from the outside or the actual interior feeling dark? We've got solar screens and I only allowed DH to install them on certain windows along the back at first because I was concerned about interior light. But after 6 months I was the one calling the guy back out because there was only a negligible difference.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:08 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
When you say dark, so you mean the look from the outside or the actual interior feeling dark?
Real solar screens do a pretty good job on older windows of blocking the heat and heavy light in the summer.
When I sell a home, I advise they be taken off in the winter to let the light shine in the house to make it brighter.

Note: The new type of Solar control glass in windows they've been installing the last 5-6 years do not need these type of screens.
That glass is the solar control type glass you find in your Car thus Solar Screens and Car window tint will be a dead in the near future.
These type of windows are just one of the energy efficiencies seen in newer homes today.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:25 AM

114 posts, read 221,880 times
Wow, I'm surprised no one else suffers from allergies. We never have our windows open...maybe two or three times a year. I keep screens on a few windows out of the 32 on my house for those wonderful near perfect days. Even then, my husband and kids sneeze up a storm so it's a short time they stay open. The majority of my windows do not have screens. They didn't come with the house, and I don't need them. I would say 95-98% of the time our windows are shut. Too hot, too cold, or too many allergens in the air.

I actually see a number of neighbors who open windows/doors without screens. When I asked about the bugs, they look at me like I'm nuts, like bugs are just a fact of life to ignore. Thought it was a Texas thing! I add this for the op because I have run into quite a few folks who would agree with the realtor...he may not have been dodgy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: