Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2007, 01:13 PM

69 posts, read 289,082 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure out my options of filling my pool. Just bought a foreclosed home and the pool needed some serious cleaning. I'm looking to fill it now, but City of Garland doesnt seem to want to do anything to help. They said I would be charged for the water used (which is fine) but then also be charged sewere fee's. On top of that, the guy said they take the average sewage from the months of Nov - March (?? dont remember exactly, but around that) to bill for the remainder of the year next year. He wouldnt budge on anything. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 01:33 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,252,035 times
I am not sure I understand why the city has to get involved in filling up your pool other than to charge you for the water and sewer usage. But that is in your monthly payment anyway???

Did you sign up for the "average billing"? May be they are trying to find a benchmark to set up your future payments if you indeed signed for this.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:40 PM

69 posts, read 289,082 times
i dont really think i signed up for "average billing" i didnt think that was an option. i just cant figure out why they have to average my sewage later on next year on a month that i filled up my pool.

does anyone know if you can have the fire department fill it up from a hydrant? i've heard of this in other cities..

Old 12-06-2007, 02:26 PM

197 posts, read 1,138,375 times
Most cities in this area use Nov-Mar water consumption to get an average monthy water usage that they then use as the basis for billing you for sewage the next whole year.

They do that to give you a break -- water usage is lowest in those months because you are not watering lawns, etc. Outside watering never enters the raw sewage treatment system via your plumbing, so you shouldn't be paying sewage (treatment) on it.

Thus, the more water you use in the winter, the higher your sewage bill will be year-round.

So, if your average monthly water usage in winter months is 6000 gal, then that's the maximum they will charge you for sewage in July, even though you may use 15,000 gal. That's why you should never fill a pool in those winter months! And be judicial with the hot tub fills. It will drive up your water consumption those 4 months, and thus drive up the max. you will pay year-round for sewage.

You can pay to have a second water meter added to your home that is for external watering, and it will not be subject to sewage billing.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:39 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
Well, you sure don't want to leave it empty in the winter or summer months. YIKES - talk about problems. If you don't want to use the city water to fill the pool you can have a company come out w/ a water truck and fill it. This is what some cities were requiring for new pools during the last two summers w/ the drought. The City of Garland actually is an "owner" city in the North Texas Muncipal Water District but they still have to pay for "x" amount of water and the "buy" it based on what the usage normally is for those months. Right now our water usage is down so a lot of extra water needed and used will cost the city more so they have to make it up somewhere. I'm taking it you may have already drained the pool? If you have not then check w/ the city about how to properly do that so that you don't get hit w/ a fine if they see you draining a ton of water down and out into the alley and to the water runoffs. If you have a contractor that is going to do the work for you find one that will take care of all neccessary permits and that could include having it filled be it city water or from another source.

Good luck and welcome to the neighborhood

Old 05-27-2008, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 9,906 times
I have a home in Garland. I leased it for a while, then had to evict the folks who wwere in the home. They drained the pool ( they were planning on buying the home) and left it dry. Once we got them out, we have remodeled the home and moved back in. We repaired the rough areas of the pool and have repainted the pool, now we need to fill it back up. I went to a fire station and they advised Garland does not allow them to fill a pool, some cities do this with a stipulation that if the city (fire truck) needs to use the water they can at any time. Anyone have any idea how to get the pool filled back up ? Water truck ? How do contractors do this ? Do they hire a water truck to fill the pool back up ? thanks.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:41 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,743,369 times
Have you considered using your hose?

Old 05-27-2008, 02:32 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5022draw View Post
I have a home in Garland. I leased it for a while, then had to evict the folks who wwere in the home. They drained the pool ( they were planning on buying the home) and left it dry. Once we got them out, we have remodeled the home and moved back in. We repaired the rough areas of the pool and have repainted the pool, now we need to fill it back up. I went to a fire station and they advised Garland does not allow them to fill a pool, some cities do this with a stipulation that if the city (fire truck) needs to use the water they can at any time. Anyone have any idea how to get the pool filled back up ? Water truck ? How do contractors do this ? Do they hire a water truck to fill the pool back up ? thanks.
No, the City of Garland Fire Dept does NOT fill pools at all. I don't know of a city around here that does. Maybe a small or rural area that has a volunteer fire dept would make such a deal but they would have even a hard time even reaching a water source.

People fill their pools 1 of 2 ways:
1. Backyard water hose.
2. Water fill truck. There are companies out there that do this.

This is how contractors fill the pools. The homeowner/landowner pays either way to have it filled.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:10 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,021,576 times
Most around here fill their pools with the hose. Our sewage bill is based on the amount of water used. If my water bill is $25 for the month my sewage and trash pick up bill for the month is $25. I am not fully understanding your problem, if you want you pool to be filled just pull out the hose and fill it. What am I missing here.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:34 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
In the old days the city would send out the Firemen to hook up their hoses and give you a free fill the 1st time. I think that disappeared 20 yrs ago so like the rest of us you get to pay for it.

Just don't use Evian water, that would be expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas