U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 10:58 AM

4 posts, read 7,370 times

Advertisements

We are planning on relocating this summer. I have searched all over the Internet getting info on schools and housing. I would like opinions on the above areas. We have kids so we want a good district. The smaller the better. looking for a small town feel. We are coming from a town of about 16000. Also looking for the best location to get more of a house for the money. Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 11:19 AM

7,343 posts, read 11,637,996 times
A more important question will be the location of job(s). If it's anywhere south of 635 or west of DFW airport you're gonna have the commute from hell.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:25 AM

9 posts, read 14,943 times
Quite possibly the most true statement I have heard all day. Either one of those drives are going to give you a headache in the morning or a migraine anytime around 5pm.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:35 PM

1,270 posts, read 1,604,333 times
What's your budget? Some of those towns are a little more affordable than others. Prosper will probably be the priciest out of your list, unless you are looking at something with acreage, barns, etc.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:02 PM

382 posts, read 543,536 times
Schools - a bit dated, but combined with greatschools.org should get you a good idea: Texas School Performance Maps and maybe Interactive Map: The Best and Worst School Districts in America - The Atlantic ; Commute - try: http://www.nctcog.org/TRANS/data/cen...mmute_time.pdf and travel time maps here: Travel Time Maps - NCTCOG.org and more on area transportation here (if you might consider light rail): Transportation Online Maps - NCTCOG.org ; and realtor.com is pretty good at getting a feel for the area prices.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:10 PM

382 posts, read 543,536 times
To add...further out the better for that "small town feel", but you will pay in commute time if your job has a fixed location. Not sure if you have lived in a city of this size before. We came from a small center, long ago. It may seem rather large or daunting at first, but you really do find yourself living within a "community" vs "in a city". Few people with children really go beyond home, work, school, kids sports/activities. We recently moved and found folks rather friendly. Imagine the same is true for most of DFW area. NYC it is not! Also consider that some of the opportunities specific to your child's interests might be more accessible in the inner suburbs. Finally, today's small town feel can change with all the new development going on, so be aware.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:20 PM

12,449 posts, read 24,109,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbynseven View Post
We are planning on relocating this summer. I have searched all over the Internet getting info on schools and housing. I would like opinions on the above areas. We have kids so we want a good district. The smaller the better. looking for a small town feel. We are coming from a town of about 16000. Also looking for the best location to get more of a house for the money. Thank you!
Other than Frisco, they are all bedroom communities / small towns with mediocre schools on the northern fringe of the metroplex. Frisco is a large suburb with above average - but not spectacular- schools.

If you work any south of Plano or west of Lewisville, you are looking at a commute over 45 minutes each direction. The commute will also be on pricey tollroads, offsetting a good chunk of the cheaper cost of housing.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:53 PM

3,927 posts, read 5,385,607 times
Providence Village is an incorporated town. Paloma Creek and Savannah are similar, but not incorporated. Homes are in the 150s-300s. Good access to Plano, Frisco, McKinney and Denton, all employment centers.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:32 PM

1,270 posts, read 1,604,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Other than Frisco, they are all bedroom communities / small towns with mediocre schools on the northern fringe of the metroplex. Frisco is a large suburb with above average - but not spectacular- schools.

If you work any south of Plano or west of Lewisville, you are looking at a commute over 45 minutes each direction. The commute will also be on pricey tollroads, offsetting a good chunk of the cheaper cost of housing.
Are Prosper schools not considered above average? I do agree about the other schools listed being mediocre. I just thought Prosper was a little bit better.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:33 PM

1,318 posts, read 2,341,110 times
We live in Prosper and love our Town.Out of the areas you mentioned,Prosper is the most expensive option,I would imagine Providence Village being the least.I would group Frisco and Prosper together on schools...both districts are sought after and have good reputations.

Aubrey ISD, Little Elm ISD and Providence Village (Denton ISD) are comparable in my opinion.I would pit those schools below Prosper and Frisco but above many others in the DFW area.

Our price range was under $500,000 for Prosper.I suspect the median home price in Prosper right now is about $350,000...not sure about the other areas.Comparing property tax rates,median home prices and median incomes will give you a good idea on affordability for the areas you mentioned.

We moved to Prosper From Greenwich,CT.We knew we wanted good schools and a town that reminded us somewhat of where we came from...large yards,a safe family friendly area close to amenities we use regularly.We had high expectations for schools...we have been very pleased with Prosper ISD.Prosper is currently expanding the Prosper Town center area and adding the Gates of Prosper for in town options.There is alot of building and development going on right now.

We have family that recently looked in Providence Village.Very nice master planned community for the price.I really like the home styles and amenities there.We noticed there is alot of building both commercial and residential going on around Providence Village the last time we went over to the area.I think Providence Village is a great option if you are looking for affordability,say under $200,000.

The greatest thing about DFW is that there really is a great git for everyone when it cones to housing

Last edited by CREW747; 04-04-2014 at 01:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: