Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2014, 09:28 AM

22 posts, read 35,534 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to buy a house around White Rock Lake and could use some advice on where to live. We're mid-twenties, no kids, not concerned with school districts, looking for a 2-3 br. Our budget is about $200-220k.

Right now we are considering Little Forest Hills, Claremont, Lochwood, Casa Linda, but I don't really understand what the differences are between these neighborhoods (besides the obvious geographic location).

Which are the best places for young people? We have seen some homes we like in Claremont, but we drove through it the other day, and I didn't see anyone walking around, and the neighborhood felt a little boring to me (just the impression I got, hopefully not true). We would love to be a part of a neighborhood that is active and has people in a similar stage of life as us.

Would love to hear what you all think are some good areas for me and my wife.

Thanks for you help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 11:56 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Little Forest Hills would be my first choice. It's such a pretty neighborhood and so close to the lake.

Old Lake Highlands would tie for first choice if you can still find a home in your price range. It's between Peavy, Easton, and Lake Highlands Drive. As recently as a year or so ago, you could still be under $200k for a 2br. Great little neighborhood with solid 1950's houses. A lot of young couples and singles in that area. Great elementary school also helps hold values.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:39 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,584,247 times
Little Forest Hill houses are more expensive than that. There is a small one that needs TONS of TLC and it's 220,000. I have a coworker that lives in Lochwood. She says that she has lived there for +20 years and it's safe.

I would not buy in Claremont right now. Everyone is selling and moving away as far as they can. And I find it boring too. It is very close to Lakewood and Casalinda anyway. You are in the right place, though. White Rock attracts lots of active people.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:00 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,481,511 times
More and more people - couples and singles in the late 20s and early 30s are moving into my neighborhood - Casa Linda Forest. It's still in your price range and decent size houses. You probably drove right past it!! :-) Bordered by Lakeland, Ferguson, Buckner, and the train tracks. We just had a young couple with no kids move in across the street...not sure of the actual selling price, but a 4br on a creek.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:01 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
Little Forest Hills is a trendy, close knit neighborhood with loads of charm. But as DFWgal indicated, houses in your price range are likely to be fixer-uppers or super small. The fixer-uppers usually involve serious repairs, not just cosmetics and updates.

Homes in Casa Linda Forest for the most part were solidly built and have been maintained through the years. It's a serene and quiet area. It has sidewalks too, which much of Little Forest Hills lacks. I'm happy to see younger folks moving in and updating the homes.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:07 AM

617 posts, read 1,041,854 times
Even if schools aren't a factor in your search, the overall schools picture still has an effect on the market, and prices will reflect that, all else being equal.

Hexter Elementary is generally seen as desirable so houses there will reflect that:
http://www.dallasisd.org/cms/lib/TX0...ndanceDISD.pdf

Sanger Elementary is in the "on the upswing" phase where parents are working hard to develop the school, though not fast enough for some:
http://www.dallasisd.org/cms/lib/TX0...sanger2011.pdf
Morning News Shows Poor Judgment, Lousy Editing With Front-Page DISD Story | FrontBurner | D Magazine
How East Dallas family reluctantly gave up on DISD elementary school | Dallas Morning News
The News Says Parents Are Giving Up on This Dallas School, But Parents Say Otherwise | Dallas Observer

In that general area east of White Rock lake, the DISD elementary schools outside those two have less "buzz" at least on this board.

Hence, if you are not thinking about schools, it may be a rational choice to consciously look outside these areas for a lower price...

Old 04-13-2014, 08:31 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
We bought a 3-br townhome last year that is basically adjacent to Little Forest Hills and Casa Linda Forest. May still be in your price range, but units still available don't have their own green space like ours does. Just a thought!

Old 04-16-2014, 10:09 PM

22 posts, read 35,534 times
Thank you all so much for your input! Based on your feedback, we have decided to concentrate most heavily on Little Forest Hills, Old Lake Highlands and Casa Linda areas. Might also check out Lochwood.

In the last couple of days, we put offers on two LFH houses, though they weren't accepted. Seems LFH area is in high demand right now!

Old 04-17-2014, 11:08 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
probably high demand in any of those areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: