Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 07:43 PM

51 posts, read 83,715 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any feedback on the Wylie ISD schools that serve Murphy residents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 08:33 PM

106 posts, read 219,851 times
Why do you think prices are higher on PISD side there and resale better? PISD>>>>WISD
If you look at area adjacent to Murphy that is Richardson/Collin County/PISD, it's even better being close to 75, 190, DART, Breckenridge Park, Richardson Hospital and big employers.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:18 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,744,800 times
Personally, IMO you're better off Murphy/WISD schools than Wylie/WISD schools. The schools are solid, but the tax rate is definitely higher on that side of town than Murphy/PISD. And I totally believe you get more bang for your buck.

But I've got friends in both Maxwell Creek and The Gables/Ranch neighborhoods. And they're happy with schools. I would add that while both HOAs have a pool, Maxwell Creek has some water slides that create additional costs to the homeowners (to the tune of about $100K/yr to cover insurance and lifeguards). And it's located at the south end of the neighborhood so it's not a neighborhood pool feel for those in the later phases.

On the other hand, there's a really great linear trail and park that follows along Maxwell Creek (the actual creek). And there's bridges that connect to the other side in a couple locations that will take you to the new Central park at one end and to the Murphy Marketplace on the other.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:24 AM

3,835 posts, read 4,440,418 times
Dont know your budget but I would pick the PISD side hands down. The WISD schools are definitely a step down, it's not even close. I'm not a big fan of WISD, so much so that I have my kid in a charter school in Garland and have no plans of putting her in the Wylie schools. Wylie residents pay some of the highest taxes in Collin County, yet the WISD is one of the lowest rated districts in the county, plus WISD has the only academically unacceptable school in Collin County. Talk about getting a return on your taxes huh.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:23 AM

We are looking in The Gables and have heard great things about Tibbals elementary. On the Great Schools website Wylie High is rated the same as PEHS. I know Great Schools is not the be all end all but it appears accurate for Tibbals as it is rated a 10. Thoughts?

Old 04-13-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesfamily06 View Post
We are looking in The Gables and have heard great things about Tibbals elementary. On the Great Schools website Wylie High is rated the same as PEHS. I know Great Schools is not the be all end all but it appears accurate for Tibbals as it is rated a 10. Thoughts?
I havent heard anything negative about Tibbals. But as far as comparing Wylie High to PESH, that's funny to hear them being rated the same, you have to take Great Schools with a grain of salt. There must be a billion threads in the Dallas forum comparing SAT scores, ACT scores, NMSF scholars, and all the other relevant college readiness metrics. Wylie High is nowhere near PESH. Yet you pay substantially more in taxes to WISD.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:08 PM

Someone told me you can pay a fee and have your kids go to PISD even if you don't live in their school district?

Old 04-13-2014, 04:44 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,744,800 times
I'm sure you can but it is incredibly unlikely that you will be able to get your child into Hunt or Boggess Elementaries. Both are at capacity right now. Hunt is currently adding on, but that's due to growth in Murphy and Parker and will likely not have space even after the expansion.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:03 PM

We would most likely have the kids go to Tibbals since it is highly regarded on the ratings and from the parents in Murphy but we have thought about having the kids go to PISD for middle and high school.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:13 PM

Not sure where you heard that from. I think it's HIGHLY unlikely that this would work. Your kids go to school in the district they live in. You dont get the option to attend elementary in one district then switch to another district later. That being said, I have heard that the Lovejoy ISD is allowing out of district students to attend for a fee, but that would be the exception, not the rule. If you want your kids to attend school in PISD at some point you are either going to have to buy in that district now or later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas