Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 08:14 PM

206 posts, read 344,836 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody. I've been narrowing my apartment choices down. Moving to Dallas in the next couple of months and I would like your input (in minutes) as to how long these commutes will take both to and from work taking into account construction. Leaving home 7-8am in the morning. Leaving work 4-5:30pm.

Alpha Rd/Midway in Farmers Branch to:

1. 7601 Churchill Way
2. 1701 Royal Ln (Irving)
3. 6419 Tranquilo (Irving)
4. 3702 Frankford (up Midway)
5. 4607 Timberglen Rd (up Toll Road/Dallas Parkway)
6. 7777 Glen America Drive

I picked these as the worse case scenario commute. I may decide to live closer. Can someone tell me where is the current construction zone on 635 and what is the next part to be worked on and when will it all be finished? THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 08:55 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,318,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katolb90 View Post
Hi Everybody. I've been narrowing my apartment choices down. Moving to Dallas in the next couple of months and I would like your input (in minutes) as to how long these commutes will take both to and from work taking into account construction. Leaving home 7-8am in the morning. Leaving work 4-5:30pm.

1. 7601 Churchill Way

I picked these as the worse case scenario commute. I may decide to live closer. Can someone tell me where is the current construction zone on 635 and what is the next part to be worked on and when will it all be finished? THANKS
Construction and traffic on 635 are bad westbound from Preston past the Dallas North Tollroad. I don't know how far west it goes, but the construction looks like it's moving west. I remember six months ago the intersection with 635 and 35 was horrible, especially if you're trying to get back on 635 going east from SB 35 from the first couple of exits.

If you're going to list specific addresses it might help to include the nearest major intersection with the address. I'm from Dallas originally and I have no idea where half of those are. I'd have to Google map them.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:36 AM

19,869 posts, read 18,144,412 times
Quote:

1. 7601 Churchill Way

1. What's your apt. budget? If budget allows why not live very close?
2. I'd bias the search north of I-635 east of I-35 and west of US 75. The Irving locations are too far.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:31 PM

382 posts, read 629,654 times
Two things:

1) Google maps - at "rushhour" times of day, pick one address and a destination and check the traffic based times (in the top left destination box - not the default times on the map). Over a week should give you a rather precise picture of the commutes. Hint: when changing destinations or starting points add a third address and "x" out the address you want to remove...much faster than starting gain from scratch.

2) Travel Time Maps - NCTCOG.org gives general commute times at rush hour centered at various locations in the area via a graphic overlay on a map. There are other documents at nctcog that may also help.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:31 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,129,369 times
This is your best source for lane closures and construction along LBJ. You can take a look at the E-updates for the latest action.

LBJ Lane Closures Map: LBJ Express - Existing and Upcoming Lane Closures

LBJ E-Updates: http://www.lbjexpress.com/eUpdates.asp

They completed most of the section from Preston to 75.

The focus for the next 18 months is Luna to Preston. Your best route would be to avoid 635 completely and take the surface roads (Royal/Forest/Valley View to Midway).

Old 04-11-2014, 09:34 PM

Okay, I'm reading all the responses I didn't want to hear. Avoid Irving, avoid 635 west, construction is moving west. ALL BAD stuff. I really like a few of the North Irving apartments.

The 'in traffic' estimates on Google not sure how accurate they are and they seemed to favor going west when I checked at rush hour. That makes no sense. I'll check again next week.

I'll redo this with the intersections. Thanks

Old 04-12-2014, 07:19 AM

The Irving sections are fine, as long as you avoid 635. 635 going in any direction is bad during rush hour.
Forest, Valley View and Royal will be much easier than navigating the construction on 635. Farmers Branch isn't that far from Royal Lane sections of Irving. It's about a 20-30 minute commute.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:17 PM

Restating this post to include intersections. I'm not sure how accurate the google 'in traffic' estimates are. I think real life experience is important. So once again any input (in minutes) for the morning 7-8am to Alpha/Midway and evening 4-5:30 commute from Alpha/Midway. Thanks again

Alpha/Midway (work location) to:

Coit Rd and 635

Luna and Royal (via 635 or alternate route)

Frankford and Midway (via Midway)

George Bush Turnpike and Dallas Pkway

75 and Walnut Hill

Old 04-13-2014, 03:46 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,318,271 times
Quote:
Restating this post to include intersections. I'm not sure how accurate the google 'in traffic' estimates are. I think real life experience is important. So once again any input (in minutes) for the morning 7-8am to Alpha/Midway and evening 4-5:30 commute from Alpha/Midway. Thanks again

Coit Rd and 635
That would suck. You'd be going through some of the worst congestion the area has to offer...and through a construction zone to boot. However, it's a better choice than Walnut Hill/75 from a commuting standpoint.

Quote:
Luna and Royal (via 635 or alternate route)

Frankford and Midway (via Midway)
No idea on those two. I can navigate those parts of town but haven't seen them "in action" at rush hour.

Quote:
That might not be too bad if you use surface roads; I'd imagine DNT northbound in the afternoon is no fun. Nearby shopping is good too.

Quote:
75 and Walnut Hill
I wouldn't. You'd be going against traffic on Central but you'd run into heavy congestion on the high 5 in the mornings and afternoons just because of the bottlenecks on the interchanges. However...it's a nice area to live, certainly more exciting than the areas north and northwest of it. You'd be better positioned for doing stuff after work and on weekends, and the selection of shops/restaurants/bars/etc. is really good. So...there's that to consider as well.

You shouldn't base your decision solely on commute; you need to factor in QOL as well. A short commute on weekdays may not mean much if you're driving 20 miles on weekends to meet your friends at a restaurant. You'll find that in time, you might drift apart because it's harder to get together. Or, if you're new to the area, you may find it harder to make friends if you're living around older people or lots of immigrants. Immigrants here do tend to keep to their own, but as neighbors they are perfectly fine. I had many Indian neighbors back in the 1990s in Irving and they were great neighbors; quiet, polite, unassuming...though it was sometimes a little annoying when they took over the complex's tennis courts to play cricket. Wooden cricket bats can be pretty noisy. But I digress.

CAVEAT: This is coming from someone who loathes...loathes...long commutes. To me, a potential commute from 75 and Belt Line to a job one exit north of Woodall Rogers....basically a straight shot down 75 almost to downtown Dallas...was a real heartburn-inducer. I lasted six months at a job that was just south of Love Field. I left the job because I absolutely hated everything about it, but I was NOT sorry to kiss that commute goodbye. It sucked. I really can't think of many things less pleasant than sitting in heavy traffic.

My point is, it depends on what your tolerance level is for sitting in heavy traffic. I have a very low tolerance for it. Therefore, what is a crappy commute for me might not be a big deal to someone else.

Good luck!

Last edited by BigDGeek; 04-13-2014 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: ui

Old 04-13-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:

Coit Rd and 635
That's a very loud location with lots of street noise, starting at 6 am until late in the evenings. You should consider other aspects, besides commute time.

Quote:

75 and Walnut Hill
Same problem as the Coit and 635 location. You would be able to hear the road noise, even with your windows closed. If the noise doesn't bother you, then go for it. Pay attention to the road noise, when you are inside the apartment during the tours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas