U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 11:54 AM

5 posts, read 8,193 times

Advertisements

These areas were suggested to me but I need to know what you think? I have four small kids all in Elementary so great schools are a major plus to me and I have two with ADHD so I need to find a school that will work with my kids with ADHD. And I don't want to drive to far for work etc. (haven't found a job yet but still filling out applications now (CNA). Like I said before I would like to move to an area where there are a lot of CNA jobs. Oh and low crime rates is a plus as well.

Far as affordable housing goes will you consider San Antonio or Dallas???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 01:22 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,858,268 times
IMHO I would rate the schools as follows:

Plano West
Flower Mound
Richardson
Allen/Firsco

If you're concerned about getting the most bang for your buck in those areas you will, again just in my opinion, see the most house in Richardson(Old houses possibly redone), Allen(90's houses large lots) and Frisco(Newest houses smallest lots).

Old 04-21-2014, 01:46 PM

954 posts, read 1,598,294 times
I would first find a job before thinking about where to stay. I know you probably don't like my response but it is really true in the metroplex. For example, you don't want to live in FM and end up working in Richardson. And this is just the north dallas side of DFW.
Also, I don't completely agree with the above poster on lot sizes. I live in Frisco and have a much better lot size than most in entire Plano or Allen. You just have to look for the right lot. Also, my rating for schools will be different than the above poster primarily because I don't have "direct" experience with all the school districts mentioned above. I can speak about hearsay but that is mostly "he says, she says"
Based on these rankings, I would say the following ratings
Plano West / Flower Mound are the best
If you exclude JJPearce in Richardson, then RISD significantly underperfoms Frisco and Allen. Also, 2 frisco high schools are very close to Pearce so anyways there is not much there.
Allen is close second to Frisco. There are 3 frisco high schools better than Allen.
Here is the link -
//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...at-2012-a.html

Old 04-21-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
I would first find a job before thinking about where to stay. I know you probably don't like my response but it is really true in the metroplex. For example, you don't want to live in FM and end up working in Richardson. And this is just the north dallas side of DFW.
Also, I don't completely agree with the above poster on lot sizes. I live in Frisco and have a much better lot size than most in entire Plano or Allen. You just have to look for the right lot. Also, my rating for schools will be different than the above poster primarily because I don't have "direct" experience with all the school districts mentioned above. I can speak about hearsay but that is mostly "he says, she says"
Based on these rankings, I would say the following ratings
Plano West / Flower Mound are the best
If you exclude JJPearce in Richardson, then RISD significantly underperfoms Frisco and Allen. Also, 2 frisco high schools are very close to Pearce so anyways there is not much there.
Allen is close second to Frisco. There are 3 frisco high schools better than Allen.
Here is the link -
//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...at-2012-a.html
Sorry if I wasn't descriptive enough. My school rankings were based on the top High School in Richardson.

As far as lot sizes are concerned, yes you can find a large lot just about anywhere...but on average, my statement above is true.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:03 PM

OP here is another good indicator for you:
//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...nalists-2.html

All in all your kiddos should do well at any of the schools you have listed above, even if it is not the TOP high school in the district. An applicant from Plano West or Frisco's Liberty with the same scores and social life will be neck and neck in college admittance unless one of them is sitting on the dreaded 7/10% rule for in state colleges. Good luck and welcome to Dallas!

Old 04-21-2014, 03:45 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,993,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsclark228 View Post
These areas were suggested to me but I need to know what you think? I have four small kids all in Elementary so great schools are a major plus to me and I have two with ADHD so I need to find a school that will work with my kids with ADHD. And I don't want to drive to far for work etc. (haven't found a job yet but still filling out applications now (CNA). Like I said before I would like to move to an area where there are a lot of CNA jobs. Oh and low crime rates is a plus as well.

Hmmm. It seems no one thus far has had the courage to say what we are all thinking...which is why I'm here. To the OP, OK please sit down and take a deep breath before reading this. Hey, have a glass of wine. Relaxed yet? Great. Now PLEASE do not take this as personal.

Now all those areas you listed are indeed wonderful as far as schools and quality of living goes. But unless you have a spouse making big bucks (in which case, ignore this starting now), you are not going to find any housing that is within the price range of a CNA. CNA's make under $15/hr here in the metroplex. If this is your sole source of income, no way you will be able to support yourself and 4 kids (will they be in daycare?) on that, as well as pay the higher rents of FM/Frisco.

Thus I would advise looking in cities like Garland, Rowlett, Forney, Hurst, Euless, Bedford, Carrollton, maybe Cedar Hill and Richardson if you're lucky. Due to the far flung nature of the burbs you mentioned, it seems you are not particularly set on one place or another. Avoid DISD at all costs. Hope this helps.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:34 PM

5 posts, read 8,193 times
no that is not my only means of income

Old 04-21-2014, 06:36 PM

24,571 posts, read 35,655,994 times
Quote:
no that is not my only means of income
A budget would really help us when recommending certain areas. Also, if you had a decent idea of where you'd like to focus your job search that would also help.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:26 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,231,767 times
Quote:

1.The schools in all of the communities you've mentioned are "good," and all are nice areas. For what it's worth - Plano ISD consistently ranks among the Top 3 schools in the metroplex (behind only Highland Park and Southlake).

2. There are quite a few hospitals and nursing centers in Plano, incl. Medical City, Baylor, Texas Health, and Children's. Baylor also has branches in Frisco and McKinney. So if you are targeting north Dallas/Collin County, these would be a starting point.

3. As for housing -- what is your definition of "affordable"? What is you budget? Collin County (which is Plano, Allen, Frisco, McKinney) is one of the hottest housing markets in the nation right now. Do you want to rent, or buy?

4. My BIL and SIL (both in medical professions) live in San Antonio, and housing seems a bit more affordable there. You get more bang for your buck. And the employment opportunities seem to be plentiful, perhaps due to the large amount of military and government work there. IMO - the public schools in San Antonio are better than DISD, but not as good as Collin County. San Antonio has an entirely different culture from Dallas. Perhaps you should also post on the San Antonio board for more info on that city.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas