Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 12:24 PM

790 posts, read 1,220,331 times

Advertisements

"Hey neighbor! We've been thinking the fence between our houses is looking a little worse for the wear. I'm not sure if it's fully on our property or yours, if it's supposed to be a shared expense or not, or if there are any Official rules from the HOA but I wanted to start by talking to you about it and see what you think."

I'm a huge fan of neighbors talking to each other. And I generally find that asking people their thoughts about something is a good way to get a conversation started in a non threatening way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 02:44 PM

551 posts, read 1,098,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
The slats face our yard, so technically it is "our" fence.
This has absolutely nothing to do with who owns the fence. It depends on who's property it's on. You would need to look at a survey.

If it is on your neighbors property you would need to get their permission to touch the existing or you could put up your own fence next to it on your side.

If it's on your property then you can do what you want.

Either way I would start by talking to your neighbor and propose splitting the replacement costs. I would probably go armed with some estimates so you have hard numbers to discuss. Hopefully you have a decent neighbor and it wont be an issue.

If your neighbor is being a jerk (and the fence is on your property) just tear it done completely and leave it open. If your neighbor has a dog, pool, kids, etc you will force them to have to build their own.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:10 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post

If your neighbor is being a jerk (and the fence is on your property) just tear it done completely and leave it open. If your neighbor has a dog, pool, kids, etc you will force them to have to build their own.

Um no. If the neighbor is being a jerk (and the fence is on your property) just tear it down completely and build a TALLER fence. You don't want to run the risk of the neighbor's dog/kids/etc rampaging all over your yard if there's no fence.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:22 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
Have had the talk with all our neighbors at one point or another. No problems getting an agreement to share costs. All depends on he neighbors.

Basically, it is " hi, I live next door and the fence has had it, needs replacing. How about splitting the cost?"

Old 04-25-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
Um no. If the neighbor is being a jerk (and the fence is on your property) just tear it down completely and build a TALLER fence. You don't want to run the risk of the neighbor's dog/kids/etc rampaging all over your yard if there's no fence.
They can't. The neighbor is required by law to contain their pets. It's the pet owners burden to contain their animals not their neighbors burden to keep them out. So unless they put up a fence they could never let their dog off the leash. If their kids came into your yard, that would be trespassing, which is also illegal. If they have a pool they would be required to have a fence as well. So unless the neighbor has no children, pets or pool they'd pretty much have to put up their own fence or be breaking the law. In which case you call the cops on them every day until they do. I'm not say I'd do this but it's one approach if your dealing with a real ahole.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
They can't. The neighbor is required by law to contain their pets. It's the pet owners burden to contain their animals not their neighbors burden to keep them out. So unless they put up a fence they could never let their dog off the leash. If their kids came into your yard, that would be trespassing, which is also illegal. If they have a pool they would be required to have a fence as well. So unless the neighbor has no children, pets or pool they'd pretty much have to put up their own fence or be breaking the law. In which case you call the cops on them every day until they do.
Have you actually tried calling the police on someone because their small pet or small child (same thing, roughly) is in your yard?

You'd be lucky to get a cop to visit within three business days.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:26 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,491,643 times
Quote:
This has absolutely nothing to do with who owns the fence. It depends on who's property it's on. You would need to look at a survey.

If it is on your neighbors property you would need to get their permission to touch the existing or you could put up your own fence next to it on your side.

If it's on your property then you can do what you want.

Either way I would start by talking to your neighbor and propose splitting the replacement costs. I would probably go armed with some estimates so you have hard numbers to discuss. Hopefully you have a decent neighbor and it wont be.
Good points about the survey, I need to review it. I *think* it is on my property completely, plus that side acts as a retaining wall for our property.

Thanks for the insight!

Old 04-29-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
Have you actually tried calling the police on someone because their small pet or small child (same thing, roughly) is in your yard?

You'd be lucky to get a cop to visit within three business days.
You could also put pressure on them by contacting animal control, child protective services or home owners association because their pets and small children are not contained and running loose in the neighborhood.

The point is a fence is benefits both neighbors so if your neighbor needs a fence as much as you don't let them skate on their responsibilities.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:15 AM

153 posts, read 225,882 times
My neighbor put up a fence which looks like something from a terrorist training camp. Even he doesn't like it. I thought I'd respond by putting up my own fence right next to his fence. I thought I'd make my fence with 8 foot plywood sheets raised higher than his fence. I figured I'd paint his side of my plywood sheets with fluorescent colors such as red, green and orange.

I never bothered. His fence still looks awful. I just planted Leland Cypress, which covers the whole thing.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSiczpak View Post
My neighbor put up a fence which looks like something from a terrorist training camp.

Pictures of Kathie Lee Gifford?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas