Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 08:27 AM

7 posts, read 7,297 times

Advertisements

Good Morning! I was hoping that I could pick your brains for a bit of information. My family and I are Canadians who have been living in Brazil for the past 3 years. When our term is done here in another 3 years we may be transferred to the DFW area. We have 2 young children who when we move will be in kindergarten and the other in grade 4. We are looking for an area that has exceptional schools and an active community with young families. Very family friendly with a lot of activities for kids. My husband will be traveling at least twice a month and will need to go into Denton about 2 times a week. Aside from that he works from home. We would like to be close to everything and prefer newer developments. Our budget is fairly flexible ranging from 300k-650k for a home with at least 2500 square feet and preferrably a pool. This will hopefully be a permanent move for us. We are planning a 2 week trip to do some research but would like some feedback and some thoughts. The areas we have looked at are Grapevine, Southlake, Keller, Colleyville, Trophy Club, Flower Mound, Coppell. We would like to narrow that down to 2-3 before we head out. thank you for your time!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 06:08 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cndexpat View Post
Good Morning! I was hoping that I could pick your brains for a bit of information. My family and I are Canadians who have been living in Brazil for the past 3 years. When our term is done here in another 3 years we may be transferred to the DFW area. We have 2 young children who when we move will be in kindergarten and the other in grade 4. We are looking for an area that has exceptional schools and an active community with young families. Very family friendly with a lot of activities for kids. My husband will be traveling at least twice a month and will need to go into Denton about 2 times a week. Aside from that he works from home. We would like to be close to everything and prefer newer developments. Our budget is fairly flexible ranging from 300k-650k for a home with at least 2500 square feet and preferrably a pool. This will hopefully be a permanent move for us. We are planning a 2 week trip to do some research but would like some feedback and some thoughts. The areas we have looked at are Grapevine, Southlake, Keller, Colleyville, Trophy Club, Flower Mound, Coppell. We would like to narrow that down to 2-3 before we head out. thank you for your time!!
Southlake is going to be a stretch with your budget but Flower Mound and Coppell are good choices for your budget and for the schools. I don't know much about suburbs in Tarrant County e.g. (is Grapevine in TC?), Keller, Trophy Club, or Colleyville. You should ask about those in the Fort Worth forum.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:17 PM

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2014, 05:43 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Southlake is going to be a stretch with your budget but Flower Mound and Coppell are good choices for your budget and for the schools. I don't know much about suburbs in Tarrant County e.g. (is Grapevine in TC?), Keller, Trophy Club, or Colleyville. You should ask about those in the Fort Worth forum.
Hey Big D....yes Grapevine is mostly in Tarrant County.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
Hey Big D....yes Grapevine is mostly in Tarrant County.
Good to know, thanks! You'd think I'd know that, being from Dallas and all.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:06 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Good to know, thanks! You'd think I'd know that, being from Dallas and all.
Netime....lol.Thanks for the rep.Well one of the reasons why I know is that I am from Tarrant Co originally myself.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:33 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
there are 39 homes in Southlake in MLS between 350 and 650K

Old 04-30-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
there are 39 homes in Southlake in MLS between 350 and 650K
They're talking about 3 years from now....

Old 05-01-2014, 10:20 AM

Thank you for your response. The decision for the transfer will ultimately be ours and DFW is one of the 3 locations we can choose from in North America. Since we have young children and really want our next move to be our last. We want to narrow down areas now so that we can visit a few times a year until we actually move. We completely understand that it is a few years out and things will change, we are just trying to get an idea of the areas to be able to make the most educated decisions for our kids possible. We are hoping to get information from people who live in these areas and there personal opinion especially those with kids.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:04 AM

174 posts, read 397,754 times
I echo what BigDGeek suggested in that Flower Mound and Coppell would be your best options. Flower Mound will provide you with a little more home and land compared to Coppell. I do feel that Flower Mound is more diverse then Coppell. The location of Coppell is a plus since its in the middle of the metroplex. The drive to denton might be easier from Flower Mound but both would be a reasonable commute. Both locations are close (15 - 20 mins) to the airport as well.

There are actually quite a few new developments in both Flower Mound and Coppell so in 3 years you will certainly have some good options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas